News: Trouble in paradise? (Oranje)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by AFCA, Jun 18, 2008.

1. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    moment of silence? blackarm bands?...nutty ideas, this is football tournie not a wake, play on!

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Somethings are more important than sport.

3. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    right the entire world should grieve because someone had a fatal premature birth, happens everyday...seriously doubt and would be very surprised if Oranje did anything, it's not generally our way, death is part of life we accept it, pay our respects and move on...

4. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    only the dutch with a black armband.
    why not.

5. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Could you please refrain from speaking for me?

6. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Very sad news, my condolences to him and his family.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes, this is very sad indeed :(

He may very well play against Russia btw.

8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agree, I am Joep's Public Relations representative. Only I can speak for him :D

9. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    My PR guy is from joisy? oh boy

;)

But seriously, i'd prefer it if someone wouldnt say belittle this like a poster here did, this actually touches some of us rather deeply and I don't like it when someone runs of a "it's not OUR style to care about this sort of thing" like he knows exactly how every dutch person feels about this. It's generalizing. It's stupid. It's offensive.

10. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    well you pay miserably so I quit!

11. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    well if you quit, and you're going to be on the open market, you're gonna need a good PR guy.

Joep Smeets, nice to meet you.

12. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad. Hope the Dutch win it all.

13. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    God be with him and his family throughout this terrible ordeal.

Very sad.

Crush the Russians for him.

14. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Dutch team want to wear a black armband, then for ********'s sake, they should do it. It doesn't matter what anyone else does.

I am the father of two very young children. Every day I worry that something might take them away from me. If something like this happened to me it would be as though part of my soul had been snuffed out.

My sincerest, most hearfelt condolences to Khalid and his family. May he find the strength to play on.

15. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    read carefully I posted "it's not ***generally*** our way" I left an out for those like yourself who want to be all melodramatic...my dad died did you care? did anyone care besides my family, no...it's too bad someone lost a child but that child is no more important than every other child that died today...people die everyday you don't go having a moment of silence at an international match because someone has a family member die that's just stupid are footballers children more special than others?...maybe you'll want a moment of silence as well before the final for Frank Lampards mother and every other footballer who's had a family member die...

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As I recall they did something like that at the Chelsea match just after that happened.

17. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I think you're completely ignoring the fact, whether it is a good thing or not, that lots of people are enormously emotionaly involved with athletes, especially during a time like this. I'm not going to waist any more words on this.

18. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When someone's kid just died you have a moment of silence FFS

End of story!!!

19. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    get real at 5 months it was a stillbirth/miscarriage not a kid, let's have a moment of silence for every abortion then ...my wife had a miscarriage, of course she was upset but it isn't on the same level as losing a child, not even close there's no emotional attachment... Khalid Boulahrouz was obviously so upset he spent all of a day away from the team, wow...do you actually believe if it was a child that had died he'd come back at all?

20. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    That might be the case for you and your wife, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But a person I worked with was pregnant, and fairly early on in the pregnancy, she was told of a condition that the unborn child had that could possibly mean a miscarriage or death after it was born. And the news was devastating to her and her husband. She was emotionally attached from the moment she learned she was pregnant. Fortunately, the child was fine and is now a healthy seven-month old girl, but my point is not everyone feels or would feel the same as you/your wife.

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    It's sad news for sure and I'd think the Dutch team would do something to show solidarity with Khalid but I don't exactly think a moment of silence is a mandatory thing. If Hiddink and the Russians are on board for it cool, but I'd hate to see there have to be a moment of silence at every match for every family member of a player who has died.

22. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree except that its not every day a family member dies during a tournament.

If I were coaching Russia I'd wear black armbands for just one game, its not gonna kill anybody (pun not intended).

23. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    how about wearing black armbands for the French National team? :p

24. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005