Transformers 5 movie [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Smurfquake, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, I'm worried about Anthony Hopkins. He must be in severe financial difficulties if he's showing up in crap like this. Should we start a GoFundMe for him?

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, slightly more serious review - the movie is incomprehensible and nonsensical. A bunch of characters show up (human and Transformer) and we're apparently supposed to know who they are, because they didn't bother introducing them, but I only recognized like two or three of them from previous movies. There's Marky Mark, and Bumblebee, and the Autobot voiced by John Goodman, and Optimus Prime. I guess that's four. The general was in the Transformers ride at Universal Studios, and I guess one of the other military guys was in a previous movie, but damned if I knew who he was. Grimlock was in a comedy cameo, but didn't take part in any of the big action scenes.

The highlight, I think, was the robot butler for Anthony Hopkins' character, who was voiced by the head butler from Downton Abbey. That was funny. Second place goes to Bumblebee's voice box being replaced briefly by Siri's voice. My kid laughed and laughed at that one. This movie was perfect for my 11 year old son - numerous instances of naughty language, ridiculous action scenes and none of that silly plot or continuity to pay attention to.

It's better than Transformers 4 - that one really sucked.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is it true that they imply that Harriet Tubman was helped by the Transformers in the plot of the film? :eek::ROFLMAO:

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mentioned. Anthony Hopkins rattled off a list of historical figures who were helped by Transformers throughout history, and Harriet Tubman was on the list. It was not the most ridiculous thing within five minutes either side of that statement, so it barely registered with me. It's also possible that they were trying to imply that Anthony Hopkins' character was crazy by having him say crazy stuff like that, but everything else he said turned out to be true in the context of the movie, and I don't think Michael Bay can be that subtle.

Belgian guy repped this.