Transfers for 2014/2015

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, May 6, 2014.

1. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valentin Stocker snapped up by Hertha. They also got Plattenhart and Hegeler. All three players of quality I think Stuttgart should be getting. Ginczek is a fine signing tho, he showed a lot of potential and after he got injured is when Nurnberg fell apart.

2. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    We had the biggest financial loss in club history last year, and we're going to post another loss at the end of this month. There's no money. We're not about to go out of business or anything and we can afford to not sell Antonio Rudiger to Porto for a ridiculously low fee like we're apparently about to, but any big signings would be irresponsible.

That said, the signings we have made so far have been very underwhelming. I'm not really sure why after one terrible season we're suddenly a less attractive destination than Augsburg, but I guess that's just how it is now. Hoping Veh can spin some magic, but we're a bit of a shambles at the moment.

footyfan1 repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any indications why there was such a bad loss? Paying too much for mediocre players? Ticket prices too low? Overpaid executives? Enquiring minds want to know!

4. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    The main reason for the loss "is bad transfer politics after winning the Bundesliga title" in '07. Former Board Exec Dieter Hundt said, "There have been several transfers that linger financially until today." Link

It does seem odd that we're still struggling six years on. Even though we haven't spent big I'm sure it doesn't help that we have a needlessly massive squad. So much deadweight that we should be clearing out instead of bringing on, and then we let promising players like Rani Khedira leave for nothing. Someone on another thread here said he wondered when it would be time for Fredi to look in the mirror and start blaming himself. I think we're well beyond that point.

Lots of negativity here, but I am optimistic for a Europa League run next season. Rudiger, Leitner, and Werner is a nice young spine, Holzhauser coming back, lots of attacking options. Even considering the exodus we had last season and the horrific form you would have to say that we were an unlikely relegation candidate. For some reason last season we hit a bad patch and then just never recovered. Hopefully an experienced manager like Veh will be able to get us past the bumps in the road this year.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the club leadership needs to do some more explaining of how transfer moves after 07 are still dragging us down. We have admittedly bought some useless players, but most of our acquisitions have been and continue to be guys we get on the cheap. I don't really see how a couple bad signings explain this, especially considering we must have been at least € 40 million to the positive just based on the Gomez and Khedira sales. This situation baffles me.

el americano and Winoman repped this.
  6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No the reporter gave him a free pass on that answer. According to the numbers, they lost €119M - €109M = €10M, and the decrease in revenue was €7.74M. So the loss was mostly due to lost revenue, not lingering contracts. Moreover, pointing to "bad transfer politics" sounds like shirking their own responsibility for any contracts they made. Anyway, we know they cashed out for much more than they have put in for years.

In order to not be at the bottom of the table, year after year, with < €1M signings at every position, we will have to be right a lot about unproven talent. We can't afford Bobic if he can't do that. Either way, the prospect of competing at the CL end of the table is virtually nil. Dark days in Stuttgart, if you ask me.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Bild reporting Stuttgart interest in 21-year-old winger Filip Kostic from FC Groningen as a Traore replacement. Sporting Lisbon, Porto, and PSV also interested. That's more like it!

Winoman repped this.
  8. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true, they've had some highly paid crappy contracts for years: Cacau, Molinaro, Tasci all were on enormously overpriced wages. Someone like Audel was useless for his years at the club and on pretty high wages. They got rid of some of that deadweight last season but still impacted bottom line. Now they should be back to having a reasonable wage bill. Recovery likely going to be another year or two though.

9. Mailman44

Mailman44 Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lithia
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we not looking to Mexico or MLS for some "cheaper" talent? Couple of talented players we could sign also what about the loan market? Always works on FM .... ;)

10. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Speaking of finances, the annual general meeting was on Monday:

11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Negotiations are underway, and appears Stuttgart are close to finalizing the signing of Georgios Spanoudakis, who was previously in Barcelona's youth academy. The 15 y/o is a member of the Germany U17 NT and considered one of the top talents in the 1998 age group.

He's posted updates on his social media channels to show Stuttgart, including this photo of himself on Facebook.

[​IMG]

schwabe13 and Winoman repped this.
  12. Mumbo

Mumbo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We loaned Oriol Romeu for one year from Chelsea. He was originally a Barcelona youth product, spent last year on loan at Valencia after being out for a year with a torn ACL. General consensus is that he's a pretty solid loan (I guess people said that about Leitner though...), seems like finally an exciting transfer happened. Still seems like everyone else is improving more than us though.

Lamprey and Winoman repped this.
  13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Winoman repped this.
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  15. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    Where did this player end up ?

16. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Potato Head and Winoman repped this.
  17. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    #42 Potato Head, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    I think this team needs a proper left back (assuming Rausch is now not first choice) and a proper center back. As an Arsenal fan it would also suit both teams if we made a loan move for our old charge Serge Gnabry. I don't expect anything to happen on any of these fronts, however and unfortunately.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    There's currently 27 players training in the first team right now. Veh wants the ideal squad to be around 24 or 25. Several players have been considered for transfer or loan away moves to clear space.

-Bursaspor is interested in Sercan Serarer
    -Kaiserslautern showing interest in Raphael Holzhauser. VfB want 1 million in this sale, which is currently too high for Lautern
    -Marco Rojas will be sent out on loan to receive more match practice

Veh plans to have 3 defensive midfielders on the depth chart. William Kvist is currently one of them. But Gruezo and Romeu are ahead of him, and Kvist wants to feature regularly.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a youth player sold to Scheiss Bayern:

https://translate.google.com/transl...ern.beed1cf0-5714-44f1-a096-db061c2428da.html

Is this a good move? I mean if Munich wanted him, couldn't he have helped VfB? If not, will the 7,000,000 Euros help VfB buy some immediate reinforcements, or will it all go to paying off debt?

22. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the Rojas to FC Thun deal is only a loan, not permanent:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/inhalt.vfb-stuttgart-marco-rojas-geht-zum-fc-thun.558d9fe0-7f64-4343-bb31-35de8c93f684.html&edit-text=

23. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Apparently he had no interest in coming back with us, so it's probably best to just look at this as a free €6 million.

24. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Fun article in the Guardian about players with expiring contracts. A few of them would be great for Stuttgart, even if none of them have a chance of actually coming:

Loris Karius (Mainz): Hot young German goalkeeping prospect. We've got one of those (Vlachodimos), but I don't think anyone would be too sad to see both Ulreich and Kirchbaum kicked to the curb.

Sami Khedira (Real Madrid): He's already said that he wants to come back to end his career, although I'm sure he meant as a epilogue, rather than the last several chapters. Also, super high wages.

Luiz Adriano (Donetsk): Won't be able to afford the wages again, but if we could...hey someone talked him into playing in Ukraine. Surely, Stuttgart must feel like the south of France compared to that!

Winoman repped this.
  25. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your keyboard to God's eyes! :)

PS: Unfortunately, it looks like the money from the Kimmich sale to Scheiss Bayern won't be used to bring in new players. :thumbsdown: