Transfer thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We haven't spent 42 million on him, the majority of his transfer fee was tied to clauses, Schick has cost Roma something like 15 mill in total.

"On 29 August 2017 Schick joined Roma on a temporary deal for a loan fee of €5 million. The club had a conditional obligation to buy the player once certain sporting objectives had been achieved, for an initial fee of €9m, plus bonuses of €8m. Moreover, if Schick was sold by Roma before 1 February 2020, Sampdoria would receive €20m or a 50% transfer fee, depending on which figure were greater. Nevertheless, Sampdoria would receive €20m in February 2020 if Schick has not been sold by the close of the January transfer window had closed."

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Also keep in mind however that Unders former club (Basaksehir) would receive 20% of his sale...

3. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    In a nutshell. Unless Marcano can somehow miraculously make a believer out of EDF, our CB situation is less than ideal until we can bring in a quality acquisition. I also dont want us overspending in a January mercato where prices are generally inflated.

4. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    We’ve already paid 40m for Schick. According to Roma’s financial statmwnteZ the article was posted a couple of months ago.

5. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ok I’m not going crazy... thought I remembered reading that but wasn’t sure where.

6. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to be that upset over Schick, when it was either sign him or no one that summer. He was a panic buy after Monchi spent nearly the entire summer failing to sign Mahrez. It's not like we missed out on anyone like we did with Ziyech for Pastore.

LordNelson repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .. or we could have just kept the money. Like I said, not a smart move buying a young player that is injured... they need all the time training with the club possible.

8. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Monchi sucks
    No he doesnt
    Sell Schick he sucks
    No he doesnt
    Roma screwed up again
    Yea probably

That's what I've gotten from here the last few pages, bruuuutal.

9. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired

10. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    can we sell the entire team and start over????? is that a thing?

Tottino repped this.
  11. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    It's called Parma.

La Magica, Tottino and chaponga repped this.
  12. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i'm in

13. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    #438 Hustle and Flow, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    We can talk about a million things regarding Monchi's transfer deals , but for me, his biggest mistake was assuming our defense would perform the same without a top 5 keeper. The amount of times Alisson bailed them out was fcuking endless , and he was the best distributor we had behind the midfield. It was beyond apparent for those who watched the games and didn't just look at results.

The defense didn't magically just fall off a cliff this season in terms of ability , they just don't have Becker anymore. This is just what they look like with a normal keeper.

I understood selling Alisson , but for me, that meant we had to upgrade the defense to mitigate the loss. We were never going to find a keeper on his level. That guy meant so much to the team.

14. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Monchi's philosophy is not to invest heavily in the defence, preferring to have a good defence through tactical organisation.

That is why we have not invested since Rudiger in 2015.

15. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah, I don't know why people cling to that narrative so much. If you look at his time in Sevilla , he certainly spent money on defense relative to their budget. Many of his expensive transfers were for defenders.

He's invested almost nothing here , and I can only assume that's because he was comfortable with what we had in place , or the right deal just hasn't presented itself yet. It probably doesn't help that Jesus is almost impossible to move.

We need a really good CB , it was obvious last year , and it's even more glaring now.

Forzaabruzzo and Shen-O repped this.
  16. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have needed a really good CD because JJ is a rotation player and Fazio is on the wane, so the age and quality profile of our defence demanded a good, young CD in 2018.

The fact that we did not invest there despite having enough money proves that Monchi is as good as his word, he refuses to invest heavily in defence and prefers to use tactics rather than quality players to defend well. That is what the man said and what he does.

17. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think the idea was that we'd be so much improved in attack that it would more than make up for any weakening of our defense. It hasn't worked out.

It's not so much that we're just bad defensively and that's all she wrote. What we are at the back is error prone. What we see every single fcuking game is actually a mostly solid performance at the back (yes, there are exceptions I know) but one that is ruined time and time again by daft and avoidable errors and this season those errors have been consistently punished, whether it be Real or SPAL. Of course, some are far more guilty of these errors than others. No names need be mentioned.

I still maintain, and will continue to maintain, that EDF deserves up until the winter break. This is no time to be sacking your manager, and certainly not if your options are Montella/Sousa. If the situation remains dire then yes, his position surely becomes untenable.

I have sympathy for EDF. It's a tough job and I think more than anything he has been let down by his players who have consistently made mistakes this season that they simply should not be making, regardless of who is sitting on the bench.

If he is fired (or steps down, maybe very unlikely but possible) then we best have someone proven lined up to take over because otherwise it's just a waste of time.

Forzaabruzzo, shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, you are dead on accurate with that statement. I also think part of the problem is that the defenders have little faith in Olsen. Yesterday on separate occasions Fazio and Manolas both had words for Olsen.

Manolas was shielding the player from the ball on an attempted through pass thinking Olsen would come out and get it and he didn't. Manolas was screaming at Olsen to come get it.

I think there is a complete disconnect between the CB and Olsen and that is certainly impacting everyone's performance.

19. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If that is true, then again Monchi is the one culpable for selling Alisson when there was no need to.

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #445 La Magica, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Olsen has come on a lot in his short time here. His kicking, while still very patchy in games has improved. Coming of the line is a tough one and his natural instinct as a traditional style keeper is to stay on the line. However, our coach is top class so I cant say he cant be taught it in time.

Roma need to bring in a boss at the back. Not a prodigy, not someone pretty good. But a defender who has the character that signings like Benatia or Strootman brought. Instant winning mentality and one who has total confidence in what he is doing. That mentality can spread throughout a team and sets the level.

For the money, Dragovic is the guy I go for. He has everything to compliment Manolas as he can play but is also an animal who is not afraid to get stuck in. We have been linked so many times, as recently as the summer. We would be in much surer hands if he was here.

Older video but it shows what hes about.

Lameelaa, Oban14 and wm72 repped this.
  21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen is an issue. He's a shot-stopper, period. He has no command of his box and his distribution is average at best. He's not some kid, he'll be 29 in a month, he is what he is.

I had no problem with Monchi selling Alisson for that amount of money but he needed to either a promising young GK or a more established GK. What he should have done was stick with Skorupski,

Olsen was a huge gamble and he'll never be anything but average on his best day.

Indian_Gladiator and Salmeen10 repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Skorupski was sold for reasons other than ability unfortunately. The club have to make those tough decisions.

23. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah I’m not worried about Skorupski. I wish we made a move for Keillor Navas, he’s on the Madrid bench these days.

24. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    I really don’t know why people keep bringing Skorupski up. The guy’s average at best, the only time he was good is when he played against us and wanted us to regret selling him. He had his chance, never took it.

Forzaabruzzo repped this.
  25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I was responding to Java above. Its not something I am too concerned for either but if he didn't drink so much (allegedly) he would probably be our keeper today. He actually was very good all year for Empoli when he was there and turned up for a number of big games, against us and Juve if memory serves me correct. I think he was brought back with the view he would be the natural replacement to Alisson but his attitude and commitment left them no option.