training on a basketball court

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Olo2317, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    play soccer basketball court:5 v 5(no keeper)when ball strikes basketball pole its GOAL,players develop extraordinary technical skills,they learn to dribble & pass with precision&great speed in order to get as close as possible to target !

2. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    you mean futsal, right sir?

3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Was my first thought too.

My second thought was that he doesn't like futsal for some reason.

My last thought is that I hope he would at least use a futsal ball. Regular balls bounce too much on hardwood floors. A lot of the development in futsal comes from the design of the ball.

4. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    until which time if ever rec depts across the country make basketball courts dual use....all outdoor public basketball courts can be used to play futsal...but since most kids don't have portable futsal goals to lug around...they can make due by using the pole on which the basketball hoop is attached to as the (goal,target,bullseye,etc..)itself.

5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I get the feeling you never played. I personally have used many different items to make goals--shoes, coats, cones, stones, gym bags, sticks, spare balls, and so on. My earliest memory of soccer is playing on the school yard during recess with coats marking the goals.

Our problem is that most adults don't value free play so they don't allow it. It is parents holding things up here, not kids.

6. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Being Argentine and growing up in urban jersey City during the 80s, this and playing on basketball courts,tennis courts,parking lots,dirt strip were the only options available to us,until we were old enough to drive to a proper park with grass...and this was one of our creative ways we played soccer on a basketball court. ..and my friends and I became quite skilled...I think kids and coaches are unimaginative and don't think outside the box.

7. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Furthermore since this was the 80s, none of us kids knew futsal even existed, and no we used regular number 5 outdoor balls on asphalted,concrete courts. ..yes the ball would bounce alot...which made it all the more fun and challenging...

Attached Files:

8. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Btw ,that's st.Nicholas church on central Ave in the background

9. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Blaming unimaginative coaches for the lack of pickup soccer is logic that I cannot follow. Elite athletes are self-motivated. Most people do not care enough about sports to become even good amatuer athletes. Parents control what kids do typically until about age 10 when children start to express their independence.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it always amazes me how long it takes young players to understand the concept of a "cone goal" at training. "you mean we're not shooting at the real goal with a net!?"

we used all kinds of stuff for goals growing up. my favorite was the boogie boards leaned against lawn chairs my brother and i used as lacrosse goals for our 1v1 games at the lake.

11. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    As a kid in elementary school, we would play outside on a paved space on the backside of the gym during recess and lunch. We used a tennis ball because someone happened to have a tennis ball and a kick here or there quickly turned into a game.

12. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    it would nice if coaches in high school and beyond would urge his/her players to get those collapsible/portable mini goals and take them to their local basketball court and play.

13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This just gave me an idea to start making my players set-up their own goals. Not give them anything. "We're here. Set-up a game".

Hopefully they know to put down bags, water bottles, sweaters, etc to do it. I think they'll be able to manage.

soccernatzi repped this.
  14. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    examples

Attached Files: