trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I don't disagree with this statement but we are really thin on players that have a proven record of scoring so getting rid of Vako without an equivalent replacement seems unfortunate.

2. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The better question might be, "where do we need an upgrade?"

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You mean, "where do we NOT need an upgrade"?

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah maybe not Vako. At least not now. Maybe in November. It depends on if another DP comes in. I think Kashia will go if Vako leaves.

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, the idea would be that you're bringing in a player that will be more valuable than Vako if you work a deal to trade/sell him. Given that Espinoza is a genuine scoring threat now, Vako's role on the team is diminished, so potentially, the team has already made up for those goals, and could stand to improve by adding a player that gets more time than Vako is getting and can score at a decent rate.

No idea if that's on the horizon for the team, but if Vako's contract is up at the end of the year and he's not playing much, anyway, there isn't much of a loss there. That being said, I thought Vako had a lot of potential, most of which was squashed under Stahre. Almeyda likes to play with a single forward and the midfield is overloaded right now, so maybe they swap Vako for another forward in the mold of Hoesen (with the assumption that Wondolowski retires at the end of the season).

Getting rid of players that are "good" isn't always a negative for a team if you don't have the means to play them regularly, which is where San Jose finds itself now. As such, Vako is a prime trade target and the team should at least be entertaining offers, if there are any.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    curious if the likes of Vako (and others) who feel they don't fit Almeyda's system have asked for a trade/release.

7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5782 mjlee22, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    I think Kashia will stay, because he's next in line to backup Flo. I would guess they would release Affolter to make space for another backup CB/FB.
    • Affolter - there's no way he can play Almeyda style, right?
    • Same with Vako, he just doesn't have the steam to play both ways.
    • Felipe. He seems to be way down the totem pole.
    • Partida is back at Reno and sat on the bench their last game. Maybe he's not recovering from that 2nd ACL?

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The question is whether or not you can get value for either Kashia or Affolter. I don't really expect that they would release Affolter before his contract is up since the cap space, etc, is already settled. He very likely won't get a new contract, though.

However, you trade whichever one you can. If Kashia has enough value to another team that they can trade or sell him, then you trade or sell him. If that's Affolter, then you make the deal for him.

This also all relies upon whether or not they can even sign a new central defender for this year. Given how well Jungwirth has upped his game, especially, I imagine it would be quite painful to see the team sign a new player that is obviously going to replace you (you being Cummings or Jungwirth, given what we know).

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm starting to think that this is one of those baseless memes that start because someone says something, a few more pick it up, and before you know it, it's become conventional wisdom. Unless there is some real information indicating they are being actively shopped, the mere fact that they're mostly sitting on the bench is not particularly compelling evidence to me that they'll be leaving in the next month or two. I believe they are both on contracts that extend at least through the end of this season, so they cannot simply be cut. Therefore, unless there is a trade involving one or both, or the Quakes decide it makes sense to 'eat' one of their contracts, I expect both to still be on the roster in October.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remember, @falvo is an ornithologist. :)

Earthshaker repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FIFY. :)

12. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Having your most expensive player getting very limited minutes would seem to be bait for any team who sees value in him.

hc897 repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not convinced that the world is knocking at the Quakes' door begging for the opportunity to buy him.

due time repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute, i thought the whole point of this forum is to fuel idle speculation, cuz just going over and over the last game or the bad owner would get, you know, very boring and not stimulate our minds or conversation at all. :D:geek:

hc897 and bsman repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, the point of this forum is to grouse, and if the results are too satisfactory, then we need to idly speculate, so we can grouse about that. :)

mjlee22 and bsman repped this.
  16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he fits the system much better actually. Affolter is a possession based defender already.

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, alright then! :D:D

18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Both Vako and Guram were signed in summer windows so I assumed their contracts would expire in the summer as well. Vako likely expires this summer unless they stuck an extra half season on his contract for some reason.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They bought him in the summer because his euro contract was likely up then, I can't imagine MLS wouldn't have contracts that go to the end of the season.

due time repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, don't let some turkey make you chicken and quail when you want to grouse. Just give them the bird.:D

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine Kashia will get a run of games while Cummings is at the Gold Cup. Even if Panama doesn't make it past the group stage, I think they'd be gone for ~3 weeks (assuming they get released a week prior to the tournament).

mjlee22 and Earthshaker repped this.
  22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah that makes sense. It would suck to lose your star players in the middle of the season.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Completely forgot about the Gold Cup. Interestingly, the Gold Cup starts about a month before the secondary transfer window opens. To purposefully add fuel to the baseless speculation fire, that opportunity might be a good way to show Kashia off in order to attract potential buyers. I'm not confident that he's going to look great in that opportunity, though.

Although, honestly, if I'm another team, and wanted Kashia, I'd just wait for the contract to expire with the expectation that the Quakes don't re-sign him.

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the same goes for Vako. Once again - I don't think that potential buyers are knocking on Jesse's door every day, and I will be somewhat surprised if both Kashia and Vako aren't still in San Jose in October. I would hope that if we sign another DP it would be at the expense of one of our players who doesn't even normally make the 18, and can be sent down to Reno (I am not 100% positive that is allowed, so correct me if that is not achievable.)

25. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    We have a DP spot, an international spot, a senior roster spot. We probably don't have the ~550k cap space needed for a DP though.
    Magnus would have been my obvious choice for a trade but he's on TAM now so I'm not sure that would even free up enough cap space. I think we have to get rid of Vako.
    Potential buyers aren't knocking on Jesse's door but hopefully Jesse is knocking on their doors - he should make them a deal they can't refuse.
    What difference does it make to us - Vako's contract is likely up at the end of the season. He hasn't been getting minutes. Very unlikely we would re-sign him. Why hold on to him for the rest of the year? He's a very good player - I'm sure a million teams would want him (for the right price). We just happen to be in a spot where we need someone even better than Vako and we need to clear his cap space.