trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At least MLB has mechanisms which make competing without cash a lot easier. If you lock up talent in the draft, you can get a good team for practically nothin (in relative terms).

You could throw a dart at a board of players eligible for the MLS draft and you'd probably have as good a return as doing actual scouting. The other advantages the team has available to it they haven't utilized well enough. I don't know that I'd be eager to spend 6 million on an MLS player right now right away since you hit diminishing returns incredibly fast compared to baseball.

However, there's a big gap between a million bucks and six million bucks that I think would turn a decent DP. That plus doing some actual development of players and you can put together a decent team. The Quakes are bad at both ends, though, since they have the worst scouting department in the entire league, save for Colorado, so it really doesn't matter what advantages they could use, since they would get used poorly, regardless.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly. As I've mentioned about a thousand times, Ignacio Piatti was making ~$500k for years while being an MVP candidate, until his new contract which bumped that up 10x. Who you bring in, through decent scouting, is more important than how much you spend. Just spending big isn't a short cut to success, as DC United are likely to find out with Wayne Rooney. And not every player has to be Vela (the one thing you can say though is that it was pretty clear he would be good, no scouting required, which would bypass a clear organizational weakness). But with proper scouting it would definitely make more sense for a team like the Quakes to bring in three high-quality players at the $2 million level than to spend it all one one $6 million player. But in that lower price range would they bring in Diego Valeri or Yura Movsisyan? See Innocent Emeghara.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not going to blame Fioranelli for Doyle's mistake, though their scouting hasn't seemed to improve a great deal as Eriksson looks like a total waste of a signing. They've been terrible judges of defensive talent, so even with an increased budget, the team likely isn't going to get anywhere with it, as you suggested.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheryshev, Id DP that ass.......

out of our reach now though.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, anybody who sparkles in this edition of the World Cup will be worth more than a small team would be willing to pay...

6. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx and NedZ repped this.
  8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ideally you lock up up and coming players prior to their actual appearances in major tournaments. Prices inflate like crazy out of small sample sizes, which is fantastic for players, but can mislead the people paying for them to play.

This is old news of course. Let's all just hope Godoy has a great tournament and that some other team is stupid enough to think he's actually a good player so he can be taken off the Quakes' roster.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think Godoy has played any better or different with the national team so far in World Cup. He will come back soon and we will continue to be horrible.

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I assumed as much. Haven't watched any of Panama's matches, but given that it's their first World Cup tournament, I didn't expect them to find much success. Tournaments like that are a large uphill battle for those who don't have a long history of participation.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so far ive liked nigeria left mid, tunesia right mid, anyone from iceland, especially their gk and Ragnar Siggurdson for well, multiple reasons. big tall centerback, amazing name, viking hair, iceland-ese.

12. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you know, if we used quality of haircut as signing criteria, it would have protected us from the mistake of Eriksson.

DotMPP and QuakeAttack repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his hair is more viking-er

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we dp Akinfeev lol

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  15. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’d rather we go for Akinfenwa

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  16. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We need to get Aquafina as sponsor first.

17. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Obviously the WC is not where we are going to mine for talent in SJ.....but I went down a several hour rabbit hole looking at the A, K, and J League....and there's plenty of proven talent in comparable leagues. Even the Brazilian league has guys over 30 who have made their team of the year list (Wikipedia: Premio Craque do Brasileirao) who should be had at a price we can afford.

Beckham7 repped this.
  18. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  19. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Well, I for one have officially given up, just called and told my Season ticket rep that we are not renewing. Read the article and I do think Tarbell is also part of the problem. And yes we need a holding midfielder, and I thought that was supposed to be in capable hands with the tandem duo of Flo and Godoy? And everybody knows we need a left back (we are paying Qiborg over 250k to not make the 18. And Tarbell has given up way too many goals that an experienced keeper wouldn't.

Not sure two more quality players turns this mess around.

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A "true" holding mid, whatever that is. :)

Anyway, good riddance to Vampire Ceren. And can Godoy be far behind? Remember when he arrived and the Quakes would not lose in games he started? Or after the 2017 opener win over Montreal when he was touted as potential dark-horse league MVP candidate? The drop-off in Godoy's play has been remarkable, and based on his World Cup performance the theory that he was saving himself for the tournament no longer appears valid.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All's forgiven if they trade to regain Colvey. :)

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If they would play him to his strengths.

24. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara

I plan on doing the same. Been at least a partial season ticket holder since 2000, the glory days of Azzizi.

Almost didn't renew last year, but my son enjoys going to the games. He'll be away at college next year...so next year my money goes to something better. Maybe a new bike.

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Godoy even alive at this point...

Godoy soul leaving his body after failing to score against tunisia