trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Doubling down on the stuff that’s not working? A guy that perhaps has poor English skills on a team that can’t communicate? A European that doesn’t have experience playing in hot and humid weather? A guy not use to traveling long distances to play?

Yeah, that has to be the answer to a massive turnaround.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the huge Russian and former Yugoslavs living in West San Jose and Campbell, you would think we would sign more players from that region. So many Yugoslavian players played during the old NASL and I think MLS would do well to go after those types of players.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Heh.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we need more huge players.

mjlee22 and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4855 falvo, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    You mean no one under 5 ft 8? Wow who would have thought and said that?

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    So, star player a bit on the decline. Sounds like the Quakes are trying to:

Kashia falling Stahre.

bobby_guzman and bsman repped this.
  7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He seems pretty good at speaking English to me

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already got the patented Quakes excuse down pat "we played well but were unlucky today". He's going to fit right in... perfect signing.

bobby_guzman, bsman and falvo repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    From what I can tell this guy is a mensch - and a real leader. Don't see much video on him defending but there's one where he is scoring goals. I guess he's similar to Flo in some ways but hopefully he'll stay more positive than Flo does during rough times. And I guess this for sure frees Flo up to play dmid where frankly I think he is just OK. So I'm not sure this helps all that much. If it gives us confidence to go 3 in the back consistently though I think it could definitely move the needle.

don gagliardi and Skillachii repped this.
  10. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    That's about right, tbh I was surprised with the decision, If it was me I'd be looking for a Playmaking defensive mid. (so opposite of godoy) Kashia is another Flo. If they were gonna get another Georgian get this guy, much cheaper, underrated. likely looking for a new team and just what SJ need

But Kashia is Vakos best friend so Vako likely recommended him over others.

11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, Fio is desperate now....oooohhhhhh

12. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    Nvm I guess they do need a CB.

13. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When it comes to getting new players or DPs I think it is important to remember that it takes some time to scout, identify, contact, negotiate, and sign new players. I mention that because at the beginning of the season I, and many others, looked at the current roster which was in place in January and expected it would at least be a playoff-quality team, even if that were just 6th place.

With that expectation, the Front office was still looking to add summertime signings to solidify or improve the roster. So when summer came, these reinforcements could get the team to 6th by years end's if we had fallen a couple of games behind the pace by June or July. If we were already in 6th these new players might help us up a few spots in the ranking. And they would definitely be integrated enough to help in the playoffs once those games started.

However, no one expected the record to be as bad as it is, and now we may already have players in the pipeline who may not be the ones to fill particular positions we have now learned we need. Or, we may have to switch horses in midstream and look for players to plug a hole rather than improve a team that was already doing well.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The season is over, and has been since March. It does not make sense to be plugging holes. It does make sense to evaluate the entire roster from top to bottom to determine which have players have both the talent and drive to be part of an eventual winner.

There are some players with the talent but not the drive, and others with the drive but not (or no longer) the talent. Very few appear to have both. And too many seem to have neither.

Because the season is over, and has been for awhile, it may make sense to cut a talented slacker to send a message to the remaining players that giving a full effort every game is required.

Beerking and SJTillIDie repped this.
  15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. I don't want us to do what we did in 2014 when they were still starting slackers like atiba harris and djalo up through the last few games of the season instead of giving minutes to younger guys like TT.

JazzyJ repped this.
  16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Frankly, I was hoping we would move away from Vako as a focal point. As in trade him and get him off the roster.

Apparently Fioranelli is still set on building the team around him, which I think is a horrendous move...akin to building the midfield around Godoy.

Now it looks like we are doubling down, by bringing in a fellow teammate to possibly spur him to better performance...his own personal motivator.

After that last game, the number 1 priority should be a real keeper. Tarbell is tragic on the high stuff...glued to his line...not even close to owning his box.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what the team did in the offseason with Simon Dawkins?
    Looks like the message was not received...

18. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vako is the least of our problem. Like I have said before: if the team is to be built around him, then it needs to actually be built around him, and right now it is not.

Our problem is now beyond the players, beyond the coaches. Our problem is now the front office, and the owner.

I have finally fired off the email to my rep to cancel season tix renewal. Reasons? Lack of ambition from ownership. Shit product on the field can be tolerated, as there are hopes of better days. But when ownership is shit, there will be no better days. That is not acceptable.

Enjoy the rest of the season guys. It was nice to bitch and moan and cry and smile and laugh with you all. I'll see you all again in March next year.

Skillachii and mjlee22 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Guram Kashia Characteristics

+ Strengths
    Aerial Duels - Very Strong
    Key passes - Very Strong
    Crossing - Strong
    Concentration - Strong

- Weaknesses
    (Player has no significant weaknesses)

Guram Kashia's Style of Play
    • Indirect set-piece threat
    • Likes to dribble

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    So I guess the #1 CB pairing would be Kashia-Cummings and Flo goes "for sure" to d-mid, to pair with Godoy when he gets back (the Zone 14 Leakers? :)).

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Kashia do we finally have enough CBs (Kashia, Cummings, Quintana, Ockford, Affolter) for Jesse's preferred 3-5-2?

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #4873 JazzyJ, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Jesse may or may not prefer a 3-5-2. Leitch definitely did. But when it's 3 in the back Stahre usually prefers 3-4-3 so he can play his more direct style (i.e. pass to Magnus who launches 35-yard no-look pass in the general direction of the forwards).

24. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Comment from his futhead page (for non-millenials: this is a player card for the fifa video game. I find the comments give you an idea of what the fans of the club think of the player):

https://www.futhead.com/18/players/7606/guram-kashia/

"He’s been rocksolid for the club last season as he was in every single season he played for the team,scored a crucial goal against Feyenoord to help Vitesse get to the final (which they eventually won). Standing/sliding tackles should be 78-80,as well as his stamina and heading. True captain and an absolute legend of the club. Captain Arnhem <3"

The Quakes need more leaders on the field and especially at the back. I was skeptical when I saw we were signing another Euro, but I think this guy could be legit based on what the Vitesse fans have to say about him.

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is he going to be a DP? FYI, Transfermarkt has his value at 2.5m Euros...