trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hope it's true. I mean he could suck but 21yo, 6'4" sounds good, all else equal. If he's good I'll quit yammering about the need for a good (and ideally tall) CB.

2. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Good news, if true, we need help in the back, he looks like he might be the real deal

3. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope we can pull this off. From the MLS site four days ago, the Red Bulls were also chasing him. We definitely need to add a dominant quality CB. He had 22 games with Penarol, the 2017 league champs in Uruguay, with the least goals allowed by a pretty good margin. A lot can factor into that, but it should bode well for his performance.

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could mean it's about who filed the discovery unless he's a young DP. But I worry along with bsman about how are we finding all these international slots. Did we have a mass aquisition of green cards?

5. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope they can pull this off. Dude looks legit and given his age and profile I'm surprised we aren't competing with a euro team.

Tall, strong, fast, fearless, good dribbler, aggressive and commanding were what I saw in a 12 minute tape. He also made Felipe Melo back into a corner during an on field incident, and Felipe melo is a very aggressive player.

Given his age, and also what Penarol accomplished, he looks to be worth a young DP spot.

If Cummings or Ockford cone good we could move Flo to CDM which I think would be a force multiplier.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much to add except we need a CB so I really hope this is true...
    Agreed.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    If it takes a young DP slot, buy out Dawkins and do it. Should be a no-brainer if you don't mind paying a guy $800k to do nothing, which he was probably going to practically do anyway, and you don't mind spending another say $500k+ (only $200-something of which goes against the cap?).

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I agree, but who knows what's needed. Maybe the discretionary TAM could come into play? Trasfermarkt has his value at 150 k but the rumor is the Quakes will pay 1.1 Mil transfer fee, which I think requires use of a DP spot.

Not the biggest fan of using DP spots on defenders because their is a poor track record of success in MLS, and there are usually plenty of good and cheap domestic options. That said, unless we are signing a star #9 or star CDM, CB makes the most sense for the last DP spot. Given his age and profile, Quintana looks worthy and could presumably be sold on or a profit in a couple of years time.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

If I read the original translation correctly, I believe that the $1m would only come into play after the year's loan if we exercise the option, so I do not believe we would need to take up a DP spot. However, this would also (as I noted above) would require an international slot that we don't have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FYI, I don't know how correct this is, but Wiki has our current situation as follows. I don't know if Barerra currently counts against the total, because I believe he is currently on loan to Club Atlético San Martín, but that still leaves us with two more international players than we have slots for:

upload_2018-1-8_9-15-11.png

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Barrera should not count as long as he is on loan. If he did, he wouldn't be on loan anymore, and in fact I wonder why we still have him on loan. He's going to be 27yo in a few weeks. Are we waiting for him to "develop" so we can bring him back to the squad?

12. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Barrera's long gone because he went thru reentry draft, didn't he? I would think for us to get spaces, we'd either have to trade for them (and it doesn't seem safe to sign someone without a trade already in place unless you're prepared to loan out someone to Reno while assuming something comes along)...or some combo of Godoy, Dawkins, Cummings, Hoesen and Jungwirth have gotten green cards. The latter 3 would have to be within one year, which could be doable I suppose. The first two ought to have them, but we don't exactly have a great track record with that.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just to correct the translation:

jugará,

means 'will play', not 'played'

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Whew, cause if he's already played for us, I'd have to say it was a rather unimpactful stay with the team. :)

bsman repped this.
  15. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Do they still have 'youth international' spots? I can't keep up..

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There is still I believe the "young DP" thing where a DP 23 and under hits the cap at a max of about $200k. So you save almost $300k in cap space by signing a "young DP".

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report: Quakes racing RBNY for young Uruguayan?

TRANSFER TRACKER STATUS: Report

Less than a week after being linked to the New York Red Bulls, Uruguayan defender Yeferson Quintana is now on the radar of the San Jose Earthquakes, according to a new report.

On Jan. 3 Uruguayan journalist Wilson Mendez tweeted that the 21-year-old center back was “close” to moving to MLS from Peñarol, with another outlet connecting him to the Red Bulls a day later.

On Monday Mendez offered an update, stating that the Quakes have sought to acquire Quintana on a year-long loan with an option to buy him on a permanent basis afterward, for a mooted price tag of $1 million.

Quintana made 22 appearances for Peñarol in 2017, scoring three goals and starting 17 times as they won the Uruguayan Primera title. He’s made 26 league appearances and played 29 times for the club in all competitions since turning pro in 2016.

His countryman Diego Rossi already made the move from Peñarol to MLS this winter, with the 19-year-old forward signing a Designated Player deal with LAFC in December.

18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If true, this adds to my confidence in our Front Office.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well the other thing about using Dawkins's spot is that it could open up an int slot, if Dawkins still takes one.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Didn't we decline the option on Affolter. Is he still filling an International slot on the roster? He's probably gone if we bring in the new CB...or somebody got a sneaky green card.

Fioranelli wouldn't be chasing this guy if he didn't have a slot available or soon to be available...the dude is on top of it.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think all we did was not put him on the protected list for the expansion draft.

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apparently, contrary to the recent article indicating the Quakes were standing pat, there are still some pieces being sought to complete the puzzle. So far, so good!

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing to see the Quakes getting in there to mix it up with the likes of RB to get a player like this. Looks like progress being made in the FO, unlike the past, when the team probably wouldn't be mentioned, much less considered to act for a player like this

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and davez repped this.
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This tweet explains the $$ why players are getting traded between teams, and why there is no incentive to sell a guy like Almiron.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

However, I'm betting if MLS has anything to say about it they will defer to NY because, as @markmcf8 would say: "They hates us, my precious!"