Toyota Park Stadium Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lncolnpk, Mar 21, 2017.

1. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone summarize the actual deal?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    NSFW: www.goats.ex

That's sarcasm.

The real deal is that the Fire had 100% control of virtually all aspects of the stadium with a relatively low annual fee to pay and they sold those rights back to the Village because they were cheap. Now the Village controls everything and makes things more expensive and difficult for the Fire. The Fire could easily buy back managerial control and thusly control their revenue and fate but Andrew Hauptman is still too cheap so we're stuck between the Village and alligator arms.

Overall what this means is that we could buy ourselves out of any issue but we're completely unwilling to invest any money and suffer at every level because of it.

splunge63 repped this.
  3. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've asked some experts to helps us out:

Don Garber: Now pay particular attention to this first clause, because it's most important. There's the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part. How do you like that, that's pretty neat eh?

Mayor Landek: No, that's no good.

Don Garber: What's the matter with it?

Mayor Landek: I don't know, let's hear it again.

Don Garber: So the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part.

Mayor Landek: Well it sounds a little better this time.

Don Garber:
    Well, it grows on you. Would you like to hear it once more?

Mayor Landek: Just the first part.

Don Garber: What do you mean, the party of the first part?

Mayor Landek: No, the first part of the party, of the first part.

Don Garber: All right. It says the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part, shall be known in this contract - look, why should we quarrel about a thing like this, we'll take it right out, eh?

Mayor Landek:
    Yes, it's too long anyhow. Now what have we got left?

Don Garber: Well I've got about a foot and a half. Now what's the matter?

Mayor Landek I don't like the second party either.

Don Garber: Well, you should have come to the first party, we didn't get home till around four in the morning. I was blind for three days.

Mayor Landek: Hey look, why can't the first part of the second party be the second part of the first party, then you'll get something.

Don Garber: Well look, rather than go through all that again, what do you say?

Mayor Landek: Fine.

Don Garber: Now I've got something here you're bound to like, you'll be crazy about it.

Mayor Landek: No, I don't like it.

Don Garber: You don't like what?

Mayor Landek: Whatever it is, I don't like it.

Don Garber: Well don't let's break up an old friendship over a thing like that. Ready?

Mayor Landek: OK. Now the next part I don't think you're going to like.

Don Garber: Well your word's good enough for me. Now then, is my word good enough for you?

Mayor Landek: I should say not.

Don Garber: Well I'll take out two more clauses. Now the party of the eighth part --

Mayor Landek: No, that's no good, no.

Don Garber: The party of the ninth part --

Mayor Landek: No, that's no good too. Hey, how is it my contract is skinnier than yours?

Don Garber: Well, I don't know, you must have been out on a tail last night. But anyhow, we're all set now, are we? Now just you put your name right down there, then the deal is legal.

Mayor Landek: I forgot to tell you, I can't write.

Don Garber: Well that's all right, there's no ink in the pen anyhow. But listen, it's a contract isn't it? We've got a contract, no matter how small it is.

Mayor Landek: Oh sure. You bet. Hey wait, wait. What does this say here, this thing here?

Don Garber: Oh that? Oh that's the usual clause, that's in every contract. That just says, it says, 'If any of the parties participating in this contract are shown not to be in their right mind, the entire agreement is automatically nullified.'

Mayor Landek: Well, I don't know.

Don Garber: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.

Mayor Landek:
    You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

HerthaBerwyn, Aenir, Joe in CO and 6 others repped this.
  4. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Perfect summation. Cakes (or his proxies) did whatever he could to drive down club expenses. To a very large extent, he's reaping what he's sown (smells bad). Impossible to feel sorry for him. And, yes, he could fix many of the TP problems. But that would require a significant outlay of funds, which, we all know, he's unwilling to do. His MO is ride the wave and keep costs to the bone. He's not building shite here. He's torn it down. Heck, we're more like an expansion club than an established club. And that pretty much says it all.

xtomx repped this.
  5. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference is expansion clubs have hopes, dreams and aspirations. Those have been taken from us.

6. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, no doubt. State of the club comment was from the perspective of the prospective new owner.

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am surprised that the practice field is grass instead of turf. Would have thought that carpet would have been cheaper.

8. valenciaisthebest

valenciaisthebest New Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can someone tell me how/where I can watch the fire practice. I really want to see Shweinsteiger train

goldclover repped this.
  9. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think that it would be a good time to shop sponsorship for the stadium. I tried to explain to some young guys at work how big Schweinsteiger was and I used twitter followers as an example. All of the top Cubs players had thousands of followers. The Chicago Cubs team has over a million, the Bears have over a million, Schweinsteiger has more followers than all combined with over 3 million followers. I think that might lure potential sponsors for naming rights. They should be able to capitalize on this and profit from signing him.

Pennsylvania Dave and skinut repped this.
  10. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unless you're really, really tall (~10") you won't be able to see the Fire train. The practice field is fenced (no biggie) and said fence has wind/privacy screen all the way around. There used to be a small section of bleachers, but it's been moved. You could scale the rubble piles adjacent to the field, that might work out.

Pennsylvania Dave and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Schweinstager's initial reaction to the club's "training complex:" laughter, shock, confusion?

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  12. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Pretty easy now to see

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, he could be gone at seasons end. We don't have anymore TAM/GAM to pay down Accam's MDL's, Kapp's, Juninho's, Dax's and BS's. Considering Andrew isn't going to use any of his money, there's a very good chance ALL of these players will be gone at seasons end or earlier.

#FvckYouAndrew

Unless the team IS sold and we get an owner that actually cares about his team.

splunge63, xtomx and Joe in CO repped this.
  14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wish I were 10 inches. I'm not sure how that would help me see better though.

15. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It doesn't. I still wear contacts.

lethargytartare, xtomx and SixKick repped this.
  16. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Being that the slag heap has grown since my last trip out there could it be fill to put a set of bleachers on? I know, I know...Take that sh*t to the Optimism Thread!

skinut repped this.
  17. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    LIZZIE and xtomx repped this.
  18. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At least someone is trying to do something. I feel for the taxpayers. Between the shady officials that gave AEG a sweetheart deal and the incompetent Fire executives as they sit on their hands and try walking away from doing anything with the contract, it has become a complete mess.

xtomx repped this.
  19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like the city had a plan for the stadium and surrounding area which has (up to now) failed miserably. The Fire have done nothing to help. AEG did just above the minimum.

I guess we expect too much of the Fire. Especially expecting them to act like a model MLS franchise.

xtomx repped this.
  20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Naming rights need to be sold. There is a cornstarch factory nearby. It can be smelled every game. I recommend 'Argo starch field'. (AKA 'the Stiffie')

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great find, thank you!

This is concerning, but actually could provide leverage:

Selling naming rights to a venue without a marketing rights deal with its anchor tenant and the only one that regularly puts the venue on national television "makes the negotiation tougher in the end" for a brand to sign a naming rights contract without a guarantee that it can partner with the main team that plays there, says Darren Marshall of Chicago-based sports marketing firm Revolution.

Hayward says he has had discussions with Fire executives about incorporating a team sponsorship agreement into a stadium naming rights deal, noting that it would help raise the value of such a deal for both the team and the village.

"It's in the village's best interest to bring all the parties together and create a winning partnership across the board," he says.

I would imagine if a sale was in the works, this might actually be a positive move overall.

seamuslush repped this.
  22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's what that smell is! It used to trigger good memories every time I smelled it. Now, more like some kind of existential dread.

xtomx and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  23. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe a rubber dick maker will step up and be the new stadium sponsor. Erecting a huge dirigible would be apropos.

bunge and loonixxx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That sounds like beginning of the end of every marriage.

GHjelm repped this.
  25. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was interesting as well- "The village's confidence in getting a higher fee from a new partner stems from recent new developments going up around the stadium. Bridgeview is spending close to $4 million to build a 90,000-square-foot indoor turf field dome just north of the stadium set to open this spring. The venue will host year-round recreational soccer leagues and have an adjacent clubhouse with concessions, locker rooms and offices."

seamuslush and xtomx repped this.