Tournament of Nations 2018 (USA, BRZ, JPN, AUS)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Jul 10, 2018.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    The second edition of the ToN, with the same teams as in 2017 (last year's thread - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/uswnt-in-the-tournament-of-nations-2017.2065926/)

[​IMG]
    USA and Japan will meet on July 26 (pic: Erik Drost, cc-by)

2018 Tournament and game information is here:
    - https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ia-brazil-japan-in-2018-tournament-of-nations

These are the match dates - and kickoff times for the relevant countries, Japan and Australia being a day ahead:

Thu 26 July
    Brazil v Australia (17:15 BRT / Friday 06:15 AEST)
    USA v Japan (7pm ET / Friday 08:00 JST)

Sun 29 July
    Brazil v Japan (17:15 BRT / Monday 05:15 JST)
    USA v Australia (7pm ET / Monday 09:00 AEST)

Thu 2 Aug
    Australia v Japan (Fri 07:45 AEST / Fri 06:45 JST)
    USA v Brazil (Thu 8:30pm ET / Thu 21:30 BRT)

^ if wrong, sue me

Last year's winners were Australia:

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's a shame that I am probably going to miss USA-Japan, because it happens in the night for European viewers like me. :sleep:

Maybe, since I am in holiday, I'll be so heroic that I'll stay up all night to watch it? :ninja: Though it'd better be a very good game to watch, in this case! :cautious:

CoachJon and jagum repped this.
  3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Japan roster

GK
    1 Ikeda Sakiko age 26 caps 12 (Urawa Reds)
    18 Yamashita Ayaka age 23 caps 19 (NTV Beleza)
    21 Hirao Chika age 22 caps 0 (Albirex Niigata)

DF
    3 Sameshima Aya age 31 caps 94 goals 5 (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    6 Ariyoshi Saori age 31 caps 56 goals 1 (NTV Beleza)
    2 Utsugi Rumi age 30 caps 110 goals 6 (Seattle Reign)
    4 Miyake Shihori age 23 caps 10 goals 0 (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    22 Shimizu Risa age 22 caps 10 goals 0 (NTV Beleza)
    23 Kunitake Aimi age 21 caps 0 goals 0 (Nojima Stella Kanagawa Sagamihara)
    5 Ichise Nana age 21 caps 14 goals 0 (Mynavi Vegalta Sendai)

MF
    7 Nakajima Emi age 28 caps 56 goals 12 (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    15 Sakaguchi Moeno age 26 caps 1 goals 0 (Albirex Niigata)
    12 Naomoto Hikaru age 24 caps 18 goals 0
    19 Masuya Rika age 23 caps 22 goals 4 (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    16 Sumida Rin age 22 caps 14 goals 0 (NTV Beleza)
    17 Momiki Yuka age 22 caps 14 goals 3 (NTV Beleza)
    14 Hasegawa Yuki age 21 caps 22 goals 3 (NTV Beleza)
    24 Miura Narumi age 21 caps 1 goals 0 (NTV Beleza)

FW
    9 Kawasumi Nahomi age 33 caps 87 goals 20 (Seattle Reign)
    13 Sugasawa Yuika age 28 caps 51 goals 13 (Urawa Reds)
    8 Iwabuchi Mana age 25 caps 53 goals 16 (INAC Kobe Leonessa)
    20 Yokoyama Kumi age 25 caps 31 goals 15 (AC Nagano Parceiro)
    11 Tanaka Mina age 24 caps 29 goals 11 (NTV Beleza)

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Westfield Matildas 20-player squad for the 2018 Tournament of Nations

Mackenzie ARNOLD/Arna-Bjørnar Fotball/19 (0)
    Lydia WILLIAMS/Seattle Reign FC/69 (0)
    Tameka BUTT/Klepp IL/68 (9)
    Ellie CARPENTER/Portland Thorns/21 (1)
    Steph CATLEY/Seattle Reign/67 (2)
    Alex CHIDIAC/Atletico Madrid/10 (1)
    Larissa CRUMMER/Unattached/20 (4)
    Lisa DE VANNA/South Melbourne FC/137 (45)
    Caitlin FOORD/Portland Thorns/60 (11)
    Emily GIELNIK/Brisbane Roar FC/18 (4)
    Katrina GORRY/Utah Royals/68 (14)
    Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT/Hammarby IF/95 (1)
    Alanna KENNEDY/Orlando Pride/69 (5)
    Samantha KERR/Chicago Red Stars/67 (24)
    Chloe LOGARZO/Blacktown Spartans FC/30 (4)
    Clare POLKINGHORNE/Houston Dash/105 (8)
    Hayley RASO/Portland Thorns/25 (2)
    Amy SAYER/North Shore Mariners FC/0 (0)
    Kyah SIMON/Houston Dash FC/83 (22)
    Emily VAN EGMOND/Orlando Pride/75 (15)

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #5 hotjam2, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    form the few times I've watched Japan play the last year or so, I picked Nakajima as their best player. Does that mean Naho sits on the bench?(since I presume, both play right mid & Nakasato(formerly Ogimi)having a great year in the NWSL, yet no love from the coach?(she's not on the squad)
    looks like finally Australia back to 100%, but don't think Catlyn Foord has played a single game(for club or country)

what turned out to be sort of the championship game last year. US vs Australia, both teams played a similar very high press(with the US succumbing to poor pass deep in their own territory)

but after watching the final of the WC, it was the French who withstood the high press & actually used it again them as the Croatians completely ran out of gas within the first 15 min of the second half/plus their playing style was more 'hold back & counter attack(which is now quite similar to Diacre & their women play), instead of the possession type teams of previous WC victors/ So got to wonder if the teams are going to change their styles in this up coming tourney?

The Croatians style sort of reminded me of the US; lot of high pressing/direct attack style combining that with very athletic type athletes. I give Ellis more credit for sometimes switching the attack from left to right side(& vice versa) within the same play, but it's easier to do in the women's game & besides the French ladies had it covered any was at the last SBC game. So definitely Ellis will have to figure out something new(if she wants to beat them at next year's WC)

6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #6 Lechus7, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Yes, Emi Nakajima certainly had a good couple of seasons lately, both in NT and club. Kawasumi was called mainly cuz of her decent speed as forward and yes more than often she is of the bench sub for Nakajima.

Yu Nakasato (she's not CRS Yuki Nagasato (Ogimi) didn't get the call this time, however in my opinion that's Takakura courtesy toward NTV Beleza (club is playing in League Cup tourney atm. and they already gave 8 players for NT - including 4 midfielders).

Yuki Nagasato a striker made into passer/playmaker/assist maker - simmilar story for all Japanese players when they play abroad. Takakura doesn't need Nagasato in such role as she has variety to choose from: Hikaru Naomoto, mentioned Yu Nakasato, Yui Hasegawa, Mizuho Sakaguchi (injuried now) and even new addition Moeno Sakaguchi. Speed upfront is what this team needs and that's why Kawasumi is prefered instead of Nagasato.

Brazil and Australia may be the ones most intrested in winning this year. WWC'19 draw comming in December and earning ranking points now is important considering the pots. On top of friendlies USA still has qualifiers to play before that and Japan has Asian Games tourney. For other two it's last tournamnet this year I believe.

Some teams already did that - change their styles. Japan, Spain, Italy... Some are in process of changing it now - France, England, Brazil, Sweden...ok maybe not Sweden :p We'll see how it;s gonna play in France however WC in Russia that's a different story. In my eyes in this WC extended use of FK&CK as game winners + hold back and counter approach didn't show some new trend but rather was a result of long league season with many tired players.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct about Foord, she's coming back from injury. She's practicing now with the Thorns, but has yet to play although is said to be only a couple of weeks away. I'll be a little surprised if she actually plays in the ToN, but it's possible.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Brazil usually hosts its own four-team friendly tournament in December each year, (though I think they've missed one recently?) but yeah I think this might be it for Australia.

9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Yeah I forgot about that one. Still..it's four top-10 teams in this tourney, a lot of points to be made (or lost)

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First-cap newbie! :thumbsup:

sbahnhof repped this.
  11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    and another ..
    23 Kunitake Aimi age 21 caps 0 goals 0 (Nojima Stella Kanagawa Sagamihara)
    :D

Wow! Amy Sayer is 16 y.o :thumbsup:

12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #13 Lechus7, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Nadeshiko roster is now very far from optimal.

Kumagai, Ichise and Miyake are Takakura's designated CB's. Now only Miyake remains available and she is least experienced of the three (10 caps total - 4 caps this year - 2 as starter). Other CB's - Kunitake and Doko never played in NT. What happend last time when Japan had experimental and inexperienced CB's pair - we saw in last year ToN: 8 goals lost in three games...

With Utsugi out now, there is no sub for LB Sameshima, nor option to move Utsugi to the middle of the park.
    Naomoto's out, Sakaguchi Mizuho injuried and Nakasato Yu wasn't called, which does leave Moeno Sakaguchi (1 cap) or Hina Sugita (0 cap) as go to playmaker. Alternatively it may be either young Momiki or Nakajima (taken from wing) to play along DM Sumida.

My line-up vs. USWNT would be

--------------------Yamashita--------------------
    Shimizu---Miyake---Kunitake--Sameshima
    ------------Nakajima-----Sumida--------------
    ----Masuya------Momiki------Hasegawa----
    ---------------------Iwabuchi----------------------

subs: Kawasumi for Masuya, Yokoyama for Iwabuchi (or Momiki and go to 4-4-2), Ariyoshi for Shimizu or Sameshima, Doko for Kunitake

blissett repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have searched as well as I know how but cannot find if there will be any television or streaming of the non-USA matches in the US. Does anyone know where those matches might be watched other than at the matches themselves?

Sorry if this is asked and answered somewhere but I have not been able to find any definitive answer.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I've found:

How to Watch/Stream
    In the US the only games scheduled currently to be aired on TV are the USWNT games. All of them will air on Fox Sports 1 (FS1) live and can be streamed through Fox Sports Go. Of course the opening two matches are going to be played in the home of Sporting Kansas City, Children’s Mercy Park. Those two games are on Thursday, July 26th and will be back-to-back. So take the afternoon off and go catch some of the best women’s players in the world.

In Australia, the games will air on Foxtel (Fox Sports). No information is currently available (in English) for the Brazil or Japanese rights to the games. The full schedule is below.

Tournament of Nations Schedule
    DATE MATCH TIME (CT) VENUE
    7/26/2018 Brazil vs. Australia 3:15 p.m Childrens Mercy Park; Kansas City, Kan.
    7/26/2018 United States vs. Japan 6 p.m. | FS1 Childrens Mercy Park; Kansas City, Kan.
    7/29/2018 Japan vs. Brazil 3:15 p.m. Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field; East Hartford, Conn.
    7/29/2018 United States vs. Australia 6 p.m. | FS1 Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field; East Hartford, Conn.
    8/2/2018 Australia vs. Japan 4:45 p.m. Toyota Park; Bridgeview, Ill.
    8/2/2018 United States vs. Brazil 7:30 p.m. | FS1 Toyota Park; Bridgeview, Ill.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, that is exactly what I have found. I am surprised that the non-USA matches are not able to be watched in any way in the US except for being there.

I do have to wonder if the steps forward that women's soccer has supposedly made are exaggerated to some extent. After all those matches are not exactly weak nations and should provide some good soccer.

I would be satisfied with a feed without commentators even a fixed camera from behind one of the goals like they had for one of the World Cup feeds.

I guess I am asking for too much in the current soccer world. In the US Women's soccer is just not as important as the men's, at least in the media's view.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've got the feeling that Japanese TV could air matches involving Japan, but I am not sure about that. They use to send crews around the world for friendly tournaments involving Senior NT, as they always did with Algarve Cup.

I'm going to ask on Nadeshiko Japan thread and, as soon as I have an answer (and/or a reliable link), I'll post it here.

19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you! But that is just a twitter feed and therefore all text and I would like to see and hear the match.

While it is better than nothing it is, for me, a LOT less than ideal.

I just do not understand why the US media is so biased against women's teams that are not USA. It does not say much good about the openness of the US's media towards women's soccer.

Lechus7 repped this.
  21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 MiLLeNNiuM, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    I don't think its bias, I think these decisions by the media are numbers based.
    It's simple, not enough viewers to justify televising these matches, although, I too would love to see them.

The non-USA matches, while not televised in the USA, will be streamed via ESPN3.
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...o-preliminary-roster-for-2018-shebelieves-cup

For those who have a U.S. TV subscription, you can login online and view those matches via computer or smartphone:
    http://www.espn.com/watch/

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  22. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    CoachJon and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #23 FanOfFutbol, Jul 26, 2018
    EDIT to add: I just noticed that the link provided is for the SheBelieves Cup not for the Tournament of Nations. I now wonder if my initial elation was premature.

Further edit: The link to the schedule at ESPN http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule?categoryId=5&type=upcoming does not seem to show any TON matches so I guess the above was in error and I still have no way to watch the non-USA matches in English but Portuguese and Japanese are better than nothing. I just hope the streaming from the Brazil link works and that a stream for the others surfaces before the tournament starts. I am hoping to find an Australian feed for their matches as they almost speak English. ;)

Thank you. The ESPN app is actually my preferred app to watch sporting events, mainly soccer, on my various media devices. (Roku, Shield TV and Fire TV) I have been disappointed by their losing a lot of the soccer matches to Fox as I find both the technical side of ESPN better and, mostly, the commentary is superior.

My only real complaint with ESPN is that it is sometimes hard to find a given match on the ESPN apps and their search is pretty horrible at finding anything unless you have the full title and the exact spelling.

24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Brazil roster
    BrazilTon2018.jpeg

25. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 MiLLeNNiuM, Jul 26, 2018
    You are correct. My apologies.

FS1 (Fox Sports 1) is televising the USA ToN matches.
    Here's the proper link:
    https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program...-tournament-of-nations-united-states-vs-japan

I was trying to find a stream or schedule for the other matches on Fox Sports, but to no avail.
    Sorry for the confusion.