Toughest Schedule in the Country?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by WWC_Movement, Jul 11, 2018.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Who has the toughest schedule in the entire nation in 2018?

Ohio State plays:

Duke
    UNC
    Florida
    Notre Dame
    Penn State

all of these games are on the road in their August through mid-September schedule.

So far, that appears to be the toughest early season schedule.

SakiBomb25 repped this.
  2. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven’t looked around at other schedules, but FSU’s early sched stood out to me:

USC
    UCLA
    Florida
    UNC
    Notre Dame

Then typical ACC schedule.

outsiderview repped this.
  3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    USC:
    Florida
    Florida State
    Pepperdine
    Stanford
    UCLA

UCLA:
    Florida
    Florida State
    Penn State
    Stanford
    USC

McSkillz and sweepsit repped this.
  4. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Whether the games are home or away adds significantly to the relative difficulty. I didn’t check but I am guessing most of Ohio States games challenging are away.

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As a USC guy (4-5 games above on road plus Cal) I’ll give the toughest schedule to UCLA. All of the above posted are road games with the addition of Pepperdine at home and the rest of the Pac 12 conference schedule

6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Wake Forest

7. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Yeah probably. They've got...

Penn State
    South Carolina
    Notre Dame
    Virginia
    Duke
    Florida State
    North Carolina

Plus the rest of the ACC plus games against Tennessee and Michigan.

UNC announced their schedule this week too. They have a relatively light ACC schedule this year, then play Stanford as the only top tier program outside of conference (also Santa Clara historically good, but not lately). Def won't be on the toughest schedules list.

8. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Agreed! WakeForest had better be ready! At one point they have ND, UVA, Duke and FSU all in a two week span!
    http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/w-soccer/sched/wake-w-soccer-sched.html

9. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Seriously! I don’t know what Da Luz was thinking! This is the type of schedule you come up with if your going to be a preseason #1, or Stanford, not a middle of the pack ACC team. Da Luz might have just screwed them out of a ncaa tourney spot. I can see them ending up with a losing record

10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    For Wake Forest, 5 of those 7 games are ACC games. Therefore, they only scheduled 2 brutal non-conference games, which all good ACC teams seem to schedule on top of their ACC schedule. Wake Forest wants to be good again, so they schedule like an upper echelon ACC team would.

Wake Forest achedule:

Penn State
    South Carolina (will they be as good without Floppy McCaskill?)
    Notre Dame (ACC)
    Virginia (ACC)
    Duke (ACC)
    Florida State (ACC)
    North Carolina (ACC)

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    They play all 5 of these games on the road, by the end of mid-September.
    They have the toughest schedule in the "1st Half" of the season.

Duke (Away)
    North Carolina (Away)
    Florida (Away)
    Notre Dame (Away)
    Penn State (Away)

12. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    True, its not an unusual schedule for an ACC team by any stretch. They did beat South Carolina, Notre Dame and Florida State last year too.

13. Bryan Bailey

Bryan Bailey Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    The ACC portion of the schedule is a function of random selection. Each team plays 10 matches with opponents selected randomly (e.g. ping pong balls). There are 14 ACC teams so each year every team will not play all opponents. Wake just got "unlucky" and UNC got "lucky" this year (although for RPI purposes UNC probably doesn't feel like they got "lucky"). For UNC this year no Duke, no UVA. Both opponents are big rivals and most UNC fans would have probably preferred to have them on the schedule. For strength of schedule purposes, I am sure that Anson would have liked to have them on the schedule also.

14. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    They also have Tennessee at #25

mpr2477 repped this.
  15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Including NC State, who finished ahead of Virginia, Notre Dame, and Florida State in the league standings last season.

Kurt Kline and castate repped this.
  16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Inside word is that UCLA at Penn State will be on ESPNU, on Aug. 25.

17. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    So what is a hard schedule? All is see is talk about ACC teams playing other ACC teams.

If a SWAC team plays 1-2 Big 12 teams, for example, and then a few decent to solid mid majors, would that make it a hard schedule?

I always find this thread silly....a tough schedule for top teams can be just as tough for small teams, all relative.

Hampton playing in the big south is a tough schedule!

18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    The ACC gauntlet is already very tough. So a “tough” schedule would be scheduling out if conference teams that are top20 programs . If you look at Wake’s schedule, you’ll understand. If it were a smaller school in a non Power 5 conference, they’d be considered having a tough schedule if their OOC matches were against multiple power 5 teams

19. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You are right, it's all relative. And if we judge on a relative scale, then whoever the worst team in the country is, they've got the hardest schedule. Literally all of their opponents are better than they are.

A more objective way to phrase it is 'Who plays the most games against teams who could viably make a deep run into the national tournament?'

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the first paragraph.

For the second, it doesn't quite do it. Here's why:

Team A plays 10 teams that viably could make a deep run into the national tournament. The average rank of its other opponents is 250.

Team B plays 10 teams that viably could make a deep run. The average rank of its other opponents is 75.

Team C plays 9 teams that viably could make a deep run. The average rank of its other opponents is 55.

I argue that the toughest schedules are:

C, B, A.

I don't think you can identify tough schedules without considering all of teams' opponents.

This is how coaches think when they're scheduling.

Enzo the Prince repped this.
  21. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I wonder if looking at the Median would also be useful, especially for selection criteria (or seeding)? Teams schedule 1 or 2 really tough or really bad games can really help/hurt their average, so would the median possibly give us a more complete picture of how difficult a team's schedule is game by game? Though I guess looking at the median would probably also heavily favor the P5 conferences. And schedules are probably not skewed enough for it to be a useful metric?

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fairly good measure -- at least from the Committee's perspective -- may be opponents' average rank. I'm referring here to end-of-season rank, not beginning of season predicted rank -- and actually, the thread's question appears really to refer to toughest predicted schedule since all we have now is opponents' predicted strength.

Here are Committee numbers from the last 11 years:

#1 seeds: Opponents' average rank: 62
    #2 seeds: 72
    #3 seeds: 75
    #4 seeds: 82
    Unseeded at large selections: 89
    Top 60 teams not getting at large selections: 115

Bonus: Top 60 teams disqualified from consideration due to records below 0.500: 72

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything else aside, here is a really great five game sequence for Santa Clara:

9/2/18 TexasA&M away
    9/7/18 NorthCarolinaU home
    9/9/18 NotreDame home
    9/13/18 TCU home
    9/16/18 Stanford away

goaleemama and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  24. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding UCLA's schedule, we are definitely a road team this year with all of those games I believe AWAY this season which will make them that much more challenging.