Totti: 250 Serie A goals & counting

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Cassano, Dec 24, 2007.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totti isn't retiring from Roma but Roma is retiring Totti.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hypothetical question: Considering all the second place finishes Roma has made in the last eleven years, would a young Derossi and a younger Totti have made a difference in this years scudetto race?

upload_2017-5-16_7-58-7.png

3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh. Of course 2007 Totti and De Rossi push us past Juve.

Shen-O, Rosay, Haakon24 and 3 others repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They didn't when they were in their primes 2001-02, 2003–04 , 2005–06 2006–07, 2007–08 , 2008–09 or 2009-2010. Do you honestly think they will have won with a younger Totti & DeRossi? I don't think so. If anything, it seems to me they always seem to either settle or fall back to second place and nothing more.

5. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because the club is competently run now.

Shen-O and Haakon24 repped this.
  6. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You put Totti and De Rossi in their prime surrounded by these players and that's a MASSIVE boost. No doubt in my mind we win the scudetto more than once.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2307 falvo, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    I'm not so sure. They had Cassano , Aldair, Batistuta, Montella , Zago , Emerson, Lima , Panucci and Delvecchio in the earlier years or before 2005 and they only won once. That team alone on paper should have a few scudetti. Even with Juventus out of the picture you would think they could have won once or twice in 2007–08 , 2008–09 or 2009-2010....

Even with Totti scoring 26 goals in the Serie A during the 2006-2007 season with Juventus out of the picture , they still came in a distant second or 22 points from Inter.

[​IMG]

It seems to me like there is always an obstacle when it comes time to winning the scudetto.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  9. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the years closer to when we won the scudetto we should have won more because the team was better. But after that our team became pretty bad at times. I think a in prime Totti and De Rossi makes our current team unstoppable. In 2006-2007, Inter's team smokes ours.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Serie A seemed a lot tougher back then with Milan , Roma and Inter. One name I forgot in those years was World Cup winner Simone Perrotta. He was not a flashy player but he was a very solid international. His presence and sense of position was something that I rarely see in today's Italian players.

romanista8910 repped this.
  12. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya perrotta was one of the best b2b midfielders of his time

13. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sad truth...

We all criticised Juve for how they got rid of their legendary Del Piero...

Now look at us...

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    DelPero was younger but yeah , its kind of the same thing....

15. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't help but wonder if the club are getting tired of Totti floating his gripes to the media and encouraging this crap storm. It's been an issue for a while, but now that we have a Spanish director and a manager who's locked horns with Totti before, the leadership are detached enough from Rome to push back.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn't we read and hear the same story last year this time? It seems its either he or the club that has to put a stop to this.

Apr 19, 2016

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/totti-250-serie-a-goals-counting.637210/page-63

17. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It always comes down to Player needs to do what's best for Player, and Club need to do what's best for Club. Hopefully these decisions are similar,but more often they are not

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  18. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Its interesting to note that in the 2006/07 season, our goal differential was on only 6 less than Inter but we were 22 points behind. I wonder if it is an anomaly that a relatively small number of goals produced such a chasm in points

19. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost a lot of points in the provinces and blew out a few teams while Inter just rolled everyone by two. I think that was the year we beat Catania 7-0, which can make a GD look better than it really is right quick.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The main reason Roma won the scudetto in 2001 was because they had Gabriel Batistuta on his last legs scoring 20 goals in 28 games. Montella, totti and Delvecchio also contributed but Batigol was the main protagonist. They had a great team but even then only finished 2 points ahead of Juve. I think if Roma could have somehow bought Ibra from Juve when they were relegated, it will have also won them a few scudetti as opposed to Inter.

21. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2321 porreca, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Yeah, agreed but it's not like Totti is detrimental to the team... His passing and vision still opens up many opportunities... The exact same way their capitano (Del Piero) was playing at the end of his Juve career... now he's in Australia... I would hate to see Totti in Miami...

I was ready for this to be his last season, hell, I've had tickets on hold for his last game before the season started, the issue for me is the way it ended, not as much silverware-wise (even if I am bitter we blew our chances of EL or CI silverware specifically due to him not playing over an overworked team of jelly-legged players), but I, and I think most of us here, had come to terms that Totti was going to play the super-sub role he played at the end of last year... coming in 15 minutes per game and doing his magic like he did va. Torino last season...

In fact this would've been a beautiful end, 15 minutes until the end, the stadium would begin roaring as he stood on the sidelines to come in, he'd get standing ovations from everyone including the opposition, even striscione from other Curve (like in Milan... where he didn't even play) and then he'd come in, with chants of "c'e solo un Capitano" sang... biutiful...

Somehow, somewhere all of this got f*cked, don't tell me it was what we needed to get results, there have been many games where our team was gassed and Totti didn't play (I.e those 2 weeks where we blew the EL and the Coppa Italia), and others where we've been 3 goals up and dominating where he could've played those 15 minutes and provide some magic (unlike the 2 minutes v. Juve where he didn't even touch the ball...)

Something broke between Totti and Spalletti, no one knows why, but Totti taking the credit (all by the the media, never from Totti's mouth) for wins as a sub like he did last season probably has to do with it...

It is this reason why many of us are bitter about the management's handling of the situation, sure io tifo Totti as much as io tifo la Roma, never hidden that, but I was prepared to see him out gracefully as I explained above... but with the way things have gone this season, I believe Totti deserves a dignified exit, one that a coach with the issues towards him like Spalletti (which I loved and was once excited to see him back) cannot give him...

Though I hated Montella playing his buddies (I.e. Goofy over Julio Sergio), he'd be a good coach for us that would provide results as well as give Totti the sunset he deserves...

I'm just not sure who would either be mad enough to come coach this team with its issues, or have the balls to do so next year?

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does Totti have his coaching badges from Coverciano yet? Just curious....

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2323 falvo, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  24. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would love to see him when Miami comes to San Francisco to play the Deltas!
    [​IMG]