Tottenham summer transfer thread 2017

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, May 31, 2017.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be cynical....but Bony has a sponsor.

2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they couldn't even unload Wilshire on loan anywhere, lol

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deadline is now. no deal announced yet.

still got an hour for paperwork to clear, IIRC

4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Interesting Marcus Edwards was offered as a loan to a Championship team or a Dutch team, but he declined opting to fight for a first team spot. Poch is very up on Edwards; I wonder if there’s been a bit of change of thought about loans or if this confirms it.

5. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llorente yes.
    Bony really!? i hope not.

6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Llorente confirmed

Count Chocula repped this.
  7. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bony had to go to swans to allow Llorente to leave

anyway it happened
    good deal in my opinion

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Don't put too much stock into results from the reserves, there are always crazy games like this. I remember a few years back Spurs reserves beat Chelsea 7-3.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Janssen might be on the move to Brighton on loan. Amazing comment just now

"we should put a clause in the contract with Brighton that he has to start against us"

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hopefully, we'll see some of this!

11. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought it was nuts that 4 penalties were called in a single match, all against the winning side

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Just saw that Brighton have been given an extension to 1 am British time to push throught the Janssen loan. I think that would be great for Vinny to play regularly and learn the English game with a good coach in our old boy Chris Hughton.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Like the signings. We have corrected our RB situation and now have cover at CB and finally have a back-up for Harry!

COYS!

14. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO still lacking some creative backup for Eriksen. but that's the only deficiency at the moment

15. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have mixed emotions about signing Llorente. It's good to acquire someone who just scored 15 goals last season but this flies in the face of what Poch and Levy have said. Not does this guy have little to no resale value, he's supposedly not at the age where he can press with as much intensity as Poch's system demands.

If all he's going to be is a sub, then that will make it easier. On the other hand - £11m for a back up striker with no upside. How times have changed.

16. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 million is the new 2 million...

Count Chocula repped this.
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I don't have a problem breaking the rules if there's a reason for it. Sticking to a policy of young/resale value is all good and well as an overarching strategy, but not if it has a negative impact on forward progress. I can’t help but think about last season’s FA Cup tie against Chelsea. Spurs were the better team, but were having trouble breaking down Chelsea and when they brought on Diego Costa & Eden Hazard Spurs had absolutely no response on the bench.

I think he’ll also bring some of that experience/get your thumb out attitude Spurs lack with such a youth oriented team. He might even prove a good mentor for Janssen. Honestly 2 seasons and a handful of match winning goals will be worth the £11.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    So Janssen turned down the loan deal to Brighton and then woke up in the middle of the night screaming when he heard that Llorente had signed. Those seats must be real comfy on the bench or in the stands.

Watched the France-Holland game yesterday. He started as the striker and was hauled off after 64 minutes - as usual, he did absolutely nothing.

Dutch football is in massive decline, the national team is rubbish and even their coaches, who were the gold standard for a long time, are going to pot - look at Van Gaal, Advocaat and De Boer for example. Thank goodness we didn't end up with any of those, imagine where we would be now...

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a few days to contemplate it all, and consider how Spurs did versus the other top six, I don't think it was too terrible.

Man U had the best, without a doubt.
    Spurs, though, at not far behind. IMO, Llorente was brought in not just as a back up, but someone with CL experience, which Spurs are lacking.
    Liverpool were also quite good. Amazing that they managed to hang on to Coutinho even at that ridiculous price. Still, defending...
    Man City I think showed their desperation, though they are going to be a wait and see.
    Arsenal were shit, though why they held on to Sanchez is baffling when he will probably leave on a free.
    Chelsea were only slightly better than Arsenal, and Drinkwater was a good last minute pickup.

Of note, we are constantly on about Spurs needing that player who can just lift the team, can will the team to victory. Reading Kane's comments after Malta and I think he has become that player.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  20. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Still mildly surprised that no one even appeared to be sniffing around Eriksen, IMO he's among the best creative midfielders in his age bracket, and he still have a good number of years in him if he doesn't catch the 'persistent injury' bug

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Especially after his performance in the qualifiers for Denmark. He ran the show against Poland with 2 assists and a cracker of a goal and then scored the winner in Armenia with one of his trademark free kicks (which we don't see enough at Spurs).

Janssen was much better in the Netherlands 3-1 win over Bulgaria. Although he didn't score (no surprise there), he was involved in all 3 goals (if it was the NHL, he would have got the 2nd assist on all 3).

Couldn't help but snicker watching a couple of Spurs old boys get done - Chiriches (remember him?) switched off and allowed Jovitic to nip in and head home the winner for Montenegro vs Romania. And Kyle Walker was once again out of position, way up the pitch, on the Sllovakia goal against England. 50 million, how on earth did we pull that one off?

Nice finish by Dier by the way. We did well to brush back Man U. Shows how far we have come as a club. In 2006, we capitulated when Sir Alex came calling for Michael Carrick.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Looks like Vinny's done with Spurs. He was not included in the CL squad. He made a big mistake turning down the loan deal to Brighton - you don't piss off Levy and Poch and live to talk about it.

23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Janssen off to Fenerbache on a loan

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hee, hee, strike force of Soldado and Janssen...

25. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011