Total crisis in the Spanish WNT following elimination

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Patchouli, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    Before we get to the topic, some background:

1939 - Following the Spanish Civil War an ultraconservative dictatorship is established in Spain. Sports are considered unsuitable for women.

1963 - The Women's Section of the Francoist National Movement starts creating and managing teams in sports such as basketball, handball and volleyball, and WNTs are created. Football is ruled unsuitable for women.

1970 - Underground women's football teams start appearing. FC Barcelona hosts a women's football match for Christmas.

1971 - An underground WNT is formed and plays a friendly against Portugal, also an unofficial team under a dictatorship. A film called Las Ibéricas FC is made ridiculing women's football. RFEF president José L. Pérez-Payá states: I'm not against women's football, but I don't like it either. I don't think it's feminine from a esthetic point of view. Women are not favored wearing shirt and trousers. Any regional dress would fit them better. (source: Marca) Spain is invited for the unofficial World Cup in Mexico but can't take part since RFEF won't cover the travel expenses to Mexico.

1972 - Spain is chosen as host of the unofficial World Cup. RFEF vetoes the project and the competition is disbanded.

1973 - Conchi Sánchez signs for Gamma-3 Padova and becomes the first Spanish footballer to play abroad.

1975 - General Franco dies. Pablo Porta replaces Pérez-Payá as RFEF president.

1977 - The National Movement is disolved and Spain turns into a democracy. A new era starts for women's teams in other sports, now under the management of national federations.

1980 - RFEF acknowledges women's football following a campaign by female footballers.

1983 - RFEF creates a national cup and the Spanish WNT, coached by Teodoro Nieto. West Germany's WNT had just been created (1982), while USA, Japan or Brazil's still had to be established (1985-86)

1985 - Spain takes part in the 1987 Euro (still unofficial) qualifiers.

1988 - Ángel Mª Villar becomes the president of RFEF, and he appoints Nacho Quereda as the WNT's coach. Both still hold these positions nowadays.

1989 - The Spanish league is created.

1993 - Following a development program for women's basketball for the 1992 Olympics, Spain (formerly a second level team) wins both the Eurobasket and the Euroleague. Had women's football been introduced in Barcelona'92 instead of Atlanta'96 Spanish women football's status might be different...

1996 - The Spanish top league is disestablished. A Final Four between the winners of 4 regional divisions settles the national champion.

1997 - Spain qualifies for the first time for the European Championship.

2001 - The Spanish top league is reestablished. Levante UD takes part in the newly created UEFA Women's Cup.

2004 - Spain unexpectedly wins the U19 Euro, with current seniors Vero Boquete, Natalia Pablos and Ruth García in the lineup.

2009 - RFEF launches a drastic reform of the Spanish League, despite the opposition of nearly all players in the competition.

2010 - U17 Spain wins its first Euro and ranks 3rd in the World Cup, Spain's first success at the world stage. Quereda stops calling Laura del Río for the 2011 WWC qualifiers, the first games since she signed for Boston Breakers. She claims: Quereda doesn't want that any Spanish player plays abroad so that the Federation doesn't have to pay the airplane tickets when he calls her up. It's not something I'm making up, since just after I signed for Boston Breakers, since instead of being happy not just for me, but for what it means for Spanish women's football to have a Spanish footballer playing in a league like the American top championship, the first thing he told me was: "And who is going to pay your airplane ticket if I call you up?" Maybe he expected me to pay it, I guess RFEF only has money for men's football and the World Cup's bonus. (Source: Fútbol Balear). After this she is never again called up.

2011 - Spain Vero Boquete becomes the first Spanish player to win international fame after being named the WPS's MVP. The Spanish League's reform, proving a complete failure, is annulled, and the top championship returns to a single group format.

2013 - Spain qualifies for the Euro for a second time, 16 years later.

2014 - For the first time in Spain women's football is regularly broadcasted on TV, with private channel Gol TV showing one league game every Saturday.

2015 - Spain qualifies for the first time for the World Cup.

AlexJ17, Guinho, Dernhelm and 14 others repped this.
  2. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    Everything started when before even reaching Spain the WNT issue the following statement:

After finishing our journey on the Women's World Cup, it's time to assess and drawing conclusing. As individuals and as a group, all 23 of us have made self-criticism and we're aware that our performance could have been better. This generation is talented and committed enough to get much further.

In spite of this, and having asumed our responsibility, we also want to make public the feeling of the group, of all 23 players. It's obvious that the preparation for the World Cup hasn't been correct, due to the lack of friendlies, the scarce acclimation, the insufficient analysis of the rivals and preparation for the games... and this has been the dynamics for a lot of time. We believe that a period is over and that we need a change, and we have told so to the coach and the technical staff. If you lose confidence y you aren't able to involve a group it's difficult to reach objectives.

There's a long road ahead and many doors to open. This is a great moment for our sport, with many challenges and dreams ahead and it's everyone's responsibility to mark the path to follow. To see where we're going and how we do it.

Toronto, 19 June 2015. Spanish women's team.

cloak, Guinho, Dernhelm and 2 others repped this.
  3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the background post & the link to the team's statement. I remember when Del Rio made those comments & then it seemed she was black balled from call ups. What do you think the result/fall out will be from the team's statement here?

4. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    I think Quereda will have to resign soon unless RFEF manages to calm or frighten the players. It's just 4 months before the Euro qualifiers begin and it seems they're determined to not take part in it unless Quereda is removed, and most players in the championship have shown support for them so calling different players isn't an option.

I'm going to translate the statements from both parts. Before that, some facts about the preparation I forgot to include in the timeline:
    - Spain was the only UEFA team qualified for the WWC that didn't take part in either the Algarve or Cyprus Cups.
    - It was also the only UEFA participant that didn't play a single friendly in the 2 months before the World Cup.
    - It arrived to Canada just 5 days before the start of the tournament.

This were Quereda's reactions in the Madrid airport:

"I'm not going to resign. If I had to do the preparation again it would be the same. The only thing that failed were the two planned friendlies, where Romania and Bulgaria said no at the last moment. You can't blame the elimination for not playing two friendlies."

"I have nothing to say about the statement, it's them who will have to comment it. I never considered that problem. I'm surprised and rather hurt about that statement because I believe it's not true"

"The Federation doesn't have anything to do with this issue. Everything is absolutely my responsibility and I asume it with all consequences because everything I have asked for and the planning I made has been granted. If there's any fault to blame it's me, not the Federation or Ángel Mª Villar."

"The reason of the elimination it's been that the ball didn't go in. If we want to throw balls outside and look for some other reason, we can do what you want. I don't contemplate anything because I don't believe all 23 players are in such a dynamic.

"I have talked with Villar through the phone but we will have to sit down and talk. We all are worried and surprised because everything has worked frankly well, there has never been a problem, and not reaching the second stage seems to have caused a storm."

"I can't figure what kind of agreement should be reach. The Federation shall decide if there has to be a change or not. I don't have to fight for anything, I'm at the disposal of whatever the Federation wishes and what it chooses will be the correct thing to do.

"Why should I retire because I'm 65? When you turn my age retire if you want, but that's not a tradition."

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/20/futbol/futbol_femenino/1434803181.html

Meanwhile the players posed in the airport holding a placard some fans prepared: For facing with such courage and effort more prepared and supported teams: we're proud of you. For a serious treatment for the players. #YouAren't23We'reAllTheWomFoot.

[​IMG]

debzy, gricio61, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  5. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Even if they did happen, playing Romania and Bulgaria is a joke. Those are teams 30-60 points below their ranking. In men's football that talent bandwidth is like the Spanish men playing Canada and Malta to go into a World Cup.

Very sad the women have to do this themselves.

gricio61, blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  6. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    At least Romania is an okay challenge, it's a sturdy team and not easy to defeat at all. Bulgaria, on the other hand...

These were the first statements of the players after arriving to Madrid.

Natalia Pablos: The team has made a statement that was signed by all 23 players, we're aware of the stir it has caused and we'll see what happens. We talked with coach Ignacio Quereda before writing it, and we told him what we think and how we feel.

We know things are upside down, we have explained our thoughts and we'll see what's the outcome. We know nothing else. Initially, the only thing we have to say is that what we have done in the World Cup has been tarnished a bit, that this group has made a great job and that all 23 of us are united and we're going to go all the way.

Ainhoa Tirapu: It's rather clear what we wanted to express and what all 23 feel, and that we all agree. We believe an era is over and it's the end of a cycle. Many of us have been here for a long time and we believe that a change would be good.

We went to the World Cup with a lot of thrill and we tried to do our part. We have to do self-criticism because we didn't do everything well, but we believe there are things that are beyond our control that could have been improved.

Playing friendlies would have helped us a lot. There are players who hadn't played for a month when we had the debut against Costa Rica and that's an important aspect, just like the acclimation. This working method has been more or less the same as in other occassions.

It's not specifically a dimision matter, it's about improving a whole situation. If we're doing this it's because we believe that it's going to be better for women's football. It's the end of a cycle and we believe it's the time for something different. We believe it's the best moment for this and it's the best way to express our feelings because we're united.

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/20/futbol/futbol_femenino/1434803852.html

gricio61, blissett and kool-aide repped this.
  7. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #7 Lechus7, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Slight correction:
    In 1977 during 2nd Women's AFC Cup, Japan's team consist of players mostly from one club - FC Jinnan.
    JFA did set up an official women's organisation in 1979 per FIFA request.
    Japan's first official women's football team (coach Ichihara) was playing in 4th AFC Cup tournament in 1981.
    First international match 7.06.1981 Japan vs. Taiwan 0:1. (first non-AFC team friendly vs. Italy and then England in September 1981)
    ;)

KAPIJXM and blissett repped this.
  8. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    #8 Patchouli, Jun 22, 2015
    The following day a radio program, Tiempo de juego (COPE), interviewed Natalia, Boquete and Quereda separately.

Quereda tries to keep the situation under control and glorifies Villar, while Boquete makes a harsh statement and Natalia keeps a milder tone.

Nacho Quereda: "I learned about the statement in the airport. I had met with Vero Boquete before travelling but I didn't know they were going to issue a note. I'm surprised that all 23 players have signed it because I never noticed a problem with any of them. If I had known about the dissatisfaction before, I would have fixed it.

It has been the same preparation as in other occasions and there has never been a problem with it.They are right that there haven't been friendlies, but that was because the two federations that had agreed on them suspended them. It's been the same preparation and the same dynamics that we've always had. It has nothing to do with being our first World Cup.

I don't unterstand that they say that a cycle is over because I think it's just starting. The girls have played very well and have left a good impression. We only lacked goal. We created many chances but we didn't make goals despite being usually a team with a lot of goal.

I can't understand half of the press note. My charge has been at RFEF's disposal anytime through these 27 years. President Villar should be put on a pedestal because of how he has thrown himself into women's football and football in general. It's going to be many years before we get such an exceptional president in every sense as Villar. He is sad and upset because of the statement. I haven't talked with him about my continuity, only about the statement. We will talk next week.

The girls have followed strictly all advices of Dr. Escribano. In this sense the Federation spared no expenses. I only have words of admiration and gratitude for the players for their effort and how well they have played."

[​IMG]

Natalia Pablos
    : "In the statement we don't mention Villar nor RFEF. We address the technical staff. We met Quereda and told him our thoughts. A step has been given but we need a change. We need someone who gives us football knowledge, someone we can learn from.

I think it's the moment to make public how we feel. We have all worked on the statement. All 23 of us are going to stay in contact and we hope that there's a change. We don't want this turns to be in vain."

Vero Boquete: "Either Quereda leaves or we will go to the end regardless of the consequences. The statement is very clear. We are waiting for an approach from Villar or RFEF staff. We want a meeting to tell them everything.

If this was men's football the coach would have been already sacked. Nobody knows our situation. We don't ask for someone's head with no reasons. The people on charge don't transmit us anything.

Quereda deserved that we spoke clearly to him because he always came upfront to us. We didn't make it before because of the fear to reprisals and missing the World Cup, which has been our major dream. There has been no trust in Quereda for a long time. He doesn't transmit us anything. We aren't at ease.

Right now we can't conceive that there's not going to be a change. Something has to happen. If everything stays this way, all 23 of us would take a decision."

Source: https://twitter.com/tjcope (June 20)

debzy, Lechus7, kool-aide and 2 others repped this.
  9. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    The following day Quereda takes a more aggressive stance in an interview for El Mundo, and the "words of admiration and gratitude" turn into accusations of harming women's football.

"All three first halves show that our approach wasn't bad. Against Costa Rica we had lost of chances, against Brazil our football was fantastic and against South Korea we had some of our best minutes ever. A single goal more would have qualified us and it isn't me who scores the goals. I can asume my responsibility and the players should do the same.

Ángel Mª Villar doesn't deserve this. He's the best president Spanish football has had, both in the sports and the institutional field. He has always supported women's football at 100%. I told the players that the statement was indecent, that they were tarnishing their own merits and that they were harming the image of women's football.

"I will present a report, I'll explain the mistakes we made, I'll show the many things we did well and I will be at the president's disposal. My wish is to stay. I may be aged, but there's nothing wrong with it. There are older coaches and younger coaches. I'm okay with everyone having their own oppinion, that they prefer other coach, but something is clear: 30 years ago women's football didn't exist in Spain"

[​IMG]

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think a lot of the European teams are starting to get ambition. I remember nearly 20 years ago the USA played a friendly against England and Mia Hamm just whipped them that night. Now england is one of the top teams in the world. Rising ability is going to come with rising expectations, both in a fan base and among the players. It seems like this a clash with a federation that has until recently continued to think of women's soccer as an afterthought.

Patchouli repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am all with the Spanish girls here and wish them good luck against dinosaurs inside their federation! :thumbsup:

In Italy, women's football movement had similar issues, both in the past and recently (actually not with the coach, but with the federation), so I feel like Boquete & friends are fighting not only for their country , but also for women's football in Southern Europe, where there are still many cultural stumbling blocks around...

Romario'sgurl, KAPIJXM, Lechus7 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    And after staying in silence for two days, RFEF has finally spoken through Vicente Temprado, president of RFEF's Women's Football Commission, and also the Madrid Federation (coincidently he was also appointed in 1988). And I think it shows RFEF's mindset about women's football.

We'll have to arrange an urgent meeting with president Villar and explain him the impressions of both sides. It will be him who takes a decision and whatever it is, it will the right one. He has always acted for the well-being of female footballers.

I think that all this trouble is inopportune, inappropiate and unnecesary. What's the problem? That we didn't score one more goal? If them, who are the ones who play, had scored one more goal against Korea we would be playing the Round of 16 and nothing of this would have happened.

I'm not going to reprimand Vero Boquete for not being up to the task, or Natalia Pablos for missing three goals in five minutes againt Korea. On the contrary, I have supported and encouraged them in their worst moments. Maybe they are right and it's time for a change, but it wasn't the right moment nor the appropiate manners.

They forget that it they are there it's because of all the selfless work that we have made for so many years. Maybe what they want is a female coach, a female expedition official... that everyone in charge is a woman.

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/22/futbol/futbol_femenino/1434969851.html

Lechus7 and gricio61 repped this.
  13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the suits in charge are going to close ranks against the players, then? Unsurprising, I guess. Would I be right in guessing that this guy & the coach have be long time cronies? And leading the Spanish women's program w/ no accountability ?

Guinho and blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #14 blissett, Jun 22, 2015
    The man believes this fact allows him to remain forever in charge? How much longer women's "obsequious gratitude" for their men saviours should last, in his opinion? :devilish: The past is the past and the present is the present: if someone doesn't know how to leave in time and with grace, he just deserves a good old kick in the ass!

And all this while not even considering how he already behaved in the past, as in the outrageous words to Del Río. :mad:

The part about friendlies vs Romania and Bulgaria, then, as Law10 rightfully noticed, just goes to show what kind of buffoon the guy is. "The same preparation and the same dynamics that we've always had"? First Women's World Cup in your country's history and you go on doing business as usual? Really? :confused: And then you are surprised when players throw you off the bus? :devilish:

Guinho, exref, gricio61 and 2 others repped this.
  15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Wow! That last excerpt is quite....

debzy, lil_one, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that business as usual had been so successful for Spain in the past, too. So many trophies! :rolleyes:

exref, Blaze20, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, yeah, all the blame to the players, right? And eternal gratitude to poor federation...

Infuriating! :devilish:

Patchouli repped this.
  18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    That's the part I didn't get. This is someone who has been the coach for 539 years and they haven't won or done anything in that time by going about business as usual and yet he don't think it's a problem? Don't they have any long term goals or they only have performance reviews twice a century?

Patchouli and blissett repped this.
  19. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All my support for the Spanish players, I wish our players did the same years ago.

In French forum they said that the French federation proposed a friendly to the Spanish but they said no....In my opinion they wanted to play Romania and Bulgaria to win "easily" and bust the confidence of the team not thinking that playing easy game actually doesn't help at all...really amateurish logic from Quereda and co.

Romario'sgurl, Patchouli and blissett repped this.
  20. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    Quereda had a reunion with Villar and it seems he is going to stay at least during this week. On Friday he will send RFEF a report. According to Marca it will consist of:
    - expressing his appreciation of the player's work.
    - a review of the preparation, analyzing the get-togethers in Madrid, the friendlies in March-April and the trainings for the World Cup matches.
    - stating that the main problem for Spanish women's football is the lack of players and not being professionals, with 30,000 licences, unlike the 200,000 in France and the 1,300,000 in Germany.
    - explaining the achievements of the technical staff's labor and the national team's nutrition plan.

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/23/futbol/futbol_femenino/1435051992.html

Source for post #9, since I forgot and I can't edit it anymore: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/21/futbol/futbol_femenino/1434908965.html

Quereda and Villar in 1990:

[​IMG]

blissett, Lechus7 and gricio61 repped this.
  21. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really weren't that good. Of course it's only their first time so there's room for improvement.

exref repped this.
  22. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    umm...did you actually read what is happening? There are reasons why "they really weren't that good", and a lot of those reasons have been outlined here

blissett repped this.
  23. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    #23 Patchouli, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Vicente del Bosque also criticizes the players: Freedom of speech can't be restricted, but the players have made a mistake in the channels and manners they have used. Communication between the players and the coach must be cordial, and it's dangerous when the roles are exchanged. (Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/23/futbol/futbol_femenino/1435061327.html)

Meanwhile, current former players have talked in more detail about Quereda's methods and attitudes:

Priscila Borja: "When we expressed him our feeling that it was time for a change, because we couldn't stay shut up after so much time, he told us that this had already happened years ago, that other players had already tried to talk with him and take their thoughts to other authorities, and the result was that they didn't return to the national team.

He told us that his position as coach doesn't depend on him or us, it depends on "the house" (RFEF), that will be the ones who decide if he shall stay as coach or not. And if "the house" decides that he stays as coach, he will remain in the boat and we shall decide if we want to stay or not.

We didn't have information about South Korea and we tried to document ourselves on the Internet. We didn't make specific trainings based on the opponent. After 15 years playing in the first division I know about 'control, pass and support'. The starters and the reserves trained in separate groups."
    (Source: http://www.europapress.es/deportes/...ntaron-antes-no-volvieron-20150622103637.html)

Érika Vázquez: Trainings are different for starters and reserves. He pays attention to the starters and corrects their mistakes, but he absolutely ignores the reserves. It's like we belonged to a completely different team. It's difficult to feel important and have confidence in yourself like this.

Marta Corredera: He decides who can talk with the media and when. We have been gathered several times to be told what we can say and what we can't. The main guidelines are avoiding talking about sexism or any controversy surrounding the Federation.

Vicky Losada: We're treated as kids, not as professionals, which is what we are. In his talks and speeches he always addresses us as 'chavalitas' [girlies], something he knows we don't like but that he keeps doing. It isn't just about football, but about manners and respect.

Amanda Sampedro: We saw a video of our opponents before playing each game. A World Cup is prepared much earlier.

Sonia Bermúdez: It isn't logical to have a coach for 27 years in charge if he doesn't achieve successes. I only know about Ferguson in Manchester United, and he has a collection of titles. Each person has it's own personality, but if 23 players came to me and told me they don't have any trust in me, my reaction would be thanking them and wishing them the best for the future. The players have made self-criticism and accepted our responsability; the technical staff hasn't.

Sandra Vilanova (former international): We have had many meetings with him throughout all these years, but we have always been ignored. They never were made public due to fear to not return to the national team, to lose the most important thing for a footballer. But it isn't a new situation. I debuted for the senior national team in 1997 and this was already happening.

Amaia Mendióroz (former international): He once said 'Let's see who acts like a woman and brings me a coffee'.

Mar Prieto (former international): Before the 1997 Euro we wrote a letter to the Federation because of how we were treated, the manners, the bad gestures. When a player gained weight he thrashed her: 'You don't play because you are fat'. He never talked about tactics. He didn't study the opponents. And he was a despot. (Source: http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2015/06/22/actualidad/1434999514_557306.html)

Source, unless noted: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/23/futbol/futbol_femenino/1435039213.html

blissett, gricio61 and kool-aide repped this.
  24. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    del Bosque is one to talk....

he has been blessed his entire coaching career of having super talented squads, the one time he didn't? in Turkey and got fired

Guinho and blissett repped this.
  25. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    ... did he actually want this job? o_O