Toronto's name is...

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Brian in Boston, Apr 3, 2006.

1. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously don't know hard core NHL original six fans.

2. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    note: When cicinnati move to KC they cahnge the name to Kings because there were already some Royals palying ther.
    Besides the ones I left on the quote

The NBA has the tradition of keeping the nicknames with the teams when they move

LA Lakers
    Detroit Pistons eventhough it makes sense. It is not the reason why they are called Pistons.
    OKC Hornets
    Memphis Grizzles
    Golden State Warriors
    Sacramento Kings
    LA Clippers
    Utah Jazz
    NJ Nets

Do you get my point?
    Anyway I beleive that the owners are the ones who decide how to name a team not the fans.
    Just like in Charlotte with the Bobcats.
    They are putting down their money after all. And since they cannot please everybody why not please tehmselves.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    totally

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    No, they use "Giants."

[​IMG]

and Tigers

[​IMG]

etc.

5. Mr.Portugal

Mr.Portugal New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Canada
    I can understand Inter because toronto is an international city with many different cultures but....

wtf is up with FC??? since when do we call soccer , futebol down here

it shud be SC if ANYTHING, and please don't make the colors blue and black... rapids already have that, so i am guessing we will be having a new color scheme as well

green and black???:D

6. rev17

rev17 Member

Mar 2, 2000
    KBK, ME/JAX, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible name. I said this when RSL was named: how the hell do people get paid good money to come up with such unoriginal, uninspired names? The guy who came up with McDonald's "im lovin' it" could have done better. Inter isn't even a word...as someone previously mentioned its short for Internazionale. It would maybe be acceptable if they called themselves International whatever, but i doubt that would happen. They would probably go with the italian spelling just like salt lake went with the spanish spelling of royal. Even if they did use the english spelling its still a questionable name.

Why is it so hard for those involved with MLS to come up with good names? Obviously not everyone is going to love any single name, but c'mon this is just sad. If posters on BS can come up with more appropriate and relevant names there is no excuse for those in charge. These rip-off names (of which i don't include FC Dallas or Chivas USA) but RSL and this proposed name only make it harder for MLS to gain legitimacy with the multitudes of soccer fans who don't follow the league. The even more discouraging part is that i believe it's this market they are trying to target by using such names. After a full decade MLS still hasn't learned how to market itself effectively...but thats for a whole 'nother thread.

7. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I'm sure that Giants & Tigers are words in Japanese that mean something...

Inter doesn't mean anything.

8. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

Inter is a prefix
    It means: carried on between, located between, among

For Eample:
    Inter-national
    Inter-American
    Inter-faith
    Inter-stelar
    Inter-glaciar
    Inter-departamental
    Inter-cellular
    ect. ect.
    So
    Inter-Toronto FC can be construted a word meaning

Football Club that plays that pays within Toronto.

The words "Giants" and "Tigers" do not mean anything in Chinese.

9. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its kinda hard to name a team in a non soccer market that does not

1) sound out of place (San Jose Eathquakes)
    2) sound forced (Real Salt Lake)

Strangly enough when someone says united I think of DC not manu. As long as the Toronto name, jerseys and crest seem like second nature after 5 years in the league no one will care.

10. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Toronto Rogues would be a pretty cool name. Toronto is an international city which a majority population of immigrants which is also diverse. The name doesn't play to any sterotypical names for european/latin america soccer or america sports franchises. The name kinda says don't screw with us, something any Toronto could fit in with. Plus they will be the only canadian team in the league.

11. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about to submit an email requesting "Toronto Big-Tittied Mommas" just to mix up the pot a little.

12. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I used to think the the New England Revolution was a stupid name a few years back. Now I think that they have one of the coolest identitys of any club in MLS.

FC Dallas isn't that bad, I like, love last years uniform, hate this years. Real Salt Lake annoyed me, I think I got past that when I saw how well they drew fans, I figure let them have at.

13. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The ice hockey team in Newcastle used to be affliated with NUFC. They wore black and white and even had the Adidas 3 stripeds of their Jersey and socks. There also used to be a Newcastle United FIA GT race car.

I belive Real Madrid, and Olympiacos have basketball teams in Euro League Basketball. Obviously this is because they are in some cases "clubs" where you are a member. I don't know if you could draw heavily draw Mapple Leaf fans for soccer games.

14. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter-Toronto doesn't come of the tongue easily. Maybe InToronto instead.

15. I like Inter, but the "official" name should be something like International Football Club of Toronto, Inter for short. Toronto is the first MLS team outside of the US and thus the name is appropriate. I can't wait for our first road trip to the north country.

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Barcelona has a basketball team I believe, and I think the NFL Europe team there was also "FC Barcelona". So calling the new team the Maple Leafs would be following world tradition!

17. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Slovakia has ASK Inter Bratislava
    Austria has Inter Leopoldstadt
    I don't see why the MLS shouldn't have an Inter. So many soccer competitions have the word Inter in them as well, like the intertoto cup, etc.

18. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter Toronto only brings up one image. Inter Milan. Yes, other clubs use it, and those clubs may have been around longer than Inter (I wanted to say Milan here, but we all know that Milan=AC Milan), but that's the club that everyone thinks of.

So you couldn't refer to it as just Inter, because that names taken. Inter Toronto doesn't flow well. And if we're just going to refer to it as Toronto, then what's the point?

Additionally, the language convention in English is that the adjective goes after the noun so Inter Toronto not only sounds bad, but is not grammatricaly correct.

Toronto City on the otherhand sounds good, can be shortened to just City and makes sense in English.

19. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Actually, wouldn't that be "Intra Toronto"? "Inter Toronto" means "between Toronto". Why not rip off some other storied names?

--Hannover 96 Toronto?

--Werder Bremen Toronto?

--Toronto Chelsea?

--Spartak Toronto?

etc.

20. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is the USA if not a melding pot of many foreign nationals and cultures?

Just playing Devil's advocate....

21. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    The whole 'first MLS team outside of the US, so international is appropriate' angle works from a US perspective more than it does for a Canadian. It makes about as much sense as an American CFL team calling themselves the foreigners and being all American. That wouldn't make any sense to the home market.

The diversity of Toronto and its people makes it a cosmopolitan city. It's an international city to Americans because it's not in the US. It will have an international roster, but so does every MLS team. For a team that has mentioned wanting to be 'Canada's team' going to an international theme as a brand is totally counter to that.

For me international doesn't make a lot of sense and using Inter is just biting off of the legend of a bigger club. No one likes a biter.

Someone asked why Dynamo came up and it's because it's a lousy name. And it's better than Inter Toronto. It was a few things going for it: it makes sense in English and can be applied to the skills of a soccer player in the same way Wizards can. However I read Dynamo I think eastern block hockey/soccer. In that way it feels like a knockoff name. Even when you say Dynamo in English, it doesn't really do much for me, the same way Wizards doesn't really do much for me (and they are/were my team).

With DC United there are many Uniteds. Newcastle and Leeds are prominent enough that it doesn't just make you think of Man U. The same way city wouldn't make you think Manchester only. Plus with DC being kind of a sprawling region that I imagine draws fans from a lot of different areas but are united. It seemed appropriate.

Of the originals, Revolution and I think Mutiny are actually rather cool names. They're kind of 'new league concept names' but of that genre they're pretty good.

cheers,
    hobbes

22. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but just stealing some other team's name is not melting them together. It's stealing.

There have been some good names on the board, but Inter Toronto is just a blatant rip-off of the real Inter.

23. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Intra means located inside and exclusively inside something.
    So no Intar does not make sense.

24. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    I was trying, and obviously failing, to make a joke...as the source of "Inter" for "Inter Milan" comes from the Italian, "Internatzionale." Maybe it really is "Toronto International" which would be allowable, since they're Canadian, so "Inter" is right. Or maybe they're just speaking Canadian, and it doesn't translate so well...