News: Toronto FC player movement/rumours thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Catracho_Azul, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC is losing a lot of set piece goals.

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Buried in the press release that TFC put out was the line that says "we will be adding a new Designated Player in the near future who will be an exciting addition to our team."

It's sad to see Giovinco go but let's see who they bring in before passing judgement.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    With Giovinco, van der Wiel, and Vazquez all gone, they have more than $9 million in salary space to work with. They should be able to sign a DP and another player to fill those holes.

4. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am very disappointed to see Seba go, he still had a couple good years left I thought and it is going to be hard to replace him. Easily one of the best MLS players since I started following the league when we game into it in 2005. He was the guy who started the transition of the club from joke to MLS contender.

With these moves we do have a lot of slots and money to play with to rebuild the team though I wouldn't be too surprised to see Jozy leave if any club shows interest (looking at Mexico) since he was of the same opinion as Seba with management and we are cleaning house.

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sofiane Hanni is a player we are being link to as a replacement for Seba, currently playing in Russia with Spartak Moscow and reports saying we about to agree to deal with Terrence Boyd who was USMNT striker a few years ago when he was banging goals in Austria but once he moved to Germany wheel came off his career.

6. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

This is all great, but our first CCL game is only about 2-1/2 weeks away. This is starting to remind me of the Mo Johnston era where they'd wait until the last minute before the season started and then rush to sign anyone they could just to fill the roster spots.

TFCREDMENACE repped this.
  7. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True. But to be fair, it's hard to sign a DP when you're negotiating to keep another DP. "So, we'd really like to have you on our team, but only if we can't hang onto another player, whom we'd really like to keep. But if our negotiations with him fail, then we'd really be interested in you. What you say?"
    Manning and Curtis said they have a few "exciting" players they're looking at. Let's see what that brings. But I'm pretty sure the days of Bloody Big Deals are over. Which is fine. I'd rather a good utilitarian player than a big name.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ I agree.

It's also the case that TFC has, in recent years, shown a wiliness to spend money but also a willingness to try to spend it wisely. Not every attempt is going to work out but they aren't just splashing cash. When it comes to DPs, there are an awful lot of players in the world talent pool who can be signed when you've got several million dollars to use. I suspect TFC will be able to find good players for the spaces they need to fill.

Also interesting to note our midfield right now. We've got Bradley and Delgado who are Americans and will start. Everyone else except Endoh, who is a bench player, is Canadian. So either we'll see some more signings or Osorio won't be the only Canadian mid with regular starts.

9. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    MLSE EXECS are likely going to pocket the savings..pay off argos debts..and maybe find a player or two to just be somewhat competitive..lets be honest 2019 is already a right off as far as winning trophies...no playoffs again.
    This is the start of a downhill slide
    Aka major rebuild

10. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I hope he's an upgrade from Ricketts or else they might as well just have kept Ricketts.

I agree, however, that he should be in more of a back up role and I hope they sign someone soon as Giovinco's replacement.

12. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    Boyd is not an answer..just another bench player..when we a regular scorer to replace seba and vv ..a..and jozy cant do it himself.

13. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    Why didnt tfc let seba play out his final yr on rhe contract..giving us at least a hope of something positive in 2019..instead if the disaster thats waiting to happen..while waiting for 2 or 3 no names to come in after thhe ccl has started and being too late

14. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^^ Two reasons. 1. They got money by selling him; otherwise he'd become a free agent.
    2. His contract status was becoming disruptive. A miserable Giovinco is not a good Giovinco.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  16. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pozuelo deal is now official. Joins March 18.
    Now all we need is someone for him to pass the ball to.

17. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Yep - he wanted out and it was clear that he was going to be gone at the end of the season. TFC got a good offer for him now so it made sense to take the offer

18. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very little talk lately on the one or two TAM signings we were supposed to be getting.

19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They could be waiting until the European season ends when more and probably better options will be available.

20. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    They've traded for it (and with it). TFC seems to value it more than many other teams, perhaps because they are one of the teams willing to spend the money on players that makes it useful. If you aren't going to use your TAM or whatever anyway, the allocation order isn't as important to you.

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  24. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. Kingston