News: Toronto FC player movement/rumours thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Catracho_Azul, Dec 27, 2012.

1. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Doesn't seem to fit the apparent CB/RB depth and #10 targets they've apparently had

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    What would be the upside of accepting the huge transfer fee if the only use they could put it to would be to find another DP striker to replace Giovinco? It's not like they could step up spending elsewhere because of salary cap constraints. So it doesn't make sense to me to replace a great player who knows the team mates and system with another great player who doesn't. If Giovinco was 34 and the new guy 24 then maybe, but I think Giovinco still has gas in the tank.

Deleted User x repped this.
  6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, I will purposefully use ridiculous numbers to exhibit point. (note, however, they are the same ridiculous numbers being thrown around in China).

The last big transfer fee paid by a Chinese club was £51.00MM....that is about $80MM CDN ($60MM USish). It is worth noting that prior to the transfer, transfermarket had that palyer's transfer value listed at £29.75MM.

Similarly, the salary the player is making is reported to be over $25.5 million/yr (USD) or about $490,000 a week. His previous club was paying less than a quarter of that amount at $110,000 weekly.

Let's just say, for a minute (since we don't know), the "huge" offer for Giovinco is half of that all around. So if TFC was offered $4oMM ($30US) for him and he was being tempted with a salary of $13MM...don't you think both parties would have to consider it?

He has a duty to himself and his family to maximize his earnings window. Why would he not consider doubling his wages? TFC is not just a sports club but also a business....if it can pocket a fee of $40MM that is good buisness.....and some of that can be used to find a replacement. Will the replacement be as good as Giovinco? It is possible, it is also possible it is not....but you have to balance the business side with the footballing side....and, a not small consideration, if he is tempted and interested in doubling his wages...and the club blocks him....what is the frame of mind of the player you have ?

I did not say "sell him"...and certainly did not say sell him at any cost.....but if the transfer fee and the wage packet fit the definition of "huge"....I said you have to consider it.

7. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    for sure...much as we'd hate to see him go, any person would consider a huge pay increase, and you can't blame him if he takes it. Who wouldn't?

8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    right, but in this circumstance he can only "take" the huge pay raise with the co-operation of his current employer....so it is always a tricky situation when a player under contract is tempted by a huge offer.

I the old days (ie. up until about 5 years ago) players were never made aware of what an interested club would pay them until the two clubs had agreed on a transfer fee....but these days pressure is put on clubs by players being well aware of who is interested in them and how much they will pay.

9. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As you said though 'what frame of mind would he be in" if TFC dooesn't let him stay. Anyway, maybe he's not tempted, and this is for naught. We shall see.

10. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How long is his contract for? 4 years?

11. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    It's a business first and foremost. Like any professional sports team.

If MLSE can pocket $40 million then that is indeed good business. Like you and Kingston said, though, it won't necessarily make the team better. But with $7 million off the books there are many possibilities.

12. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    5 year / $35 million.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think selling Giovinco for a massive fee would be a good thing for the league and TFC. People talk about it being a retirement league and perhaps competitively it is. But we're seeing more and more players from Latin America come here in their early 20's as a stepping stone to Europe. Now, we have a European who came here, in his prime, and could use MLS as a stepping stone for even more money.

It sends a message that coming to MLS does not necessarily mean it's a player's last pay day. In fact, you could see it as a sign of respect from the Chinese that they're willing to pay the same kind of exorbitant transfer fees and salaries to our players, just as they do to the European leagues.

I'll be happy to correct this when a Chinese team pays $50 million for Gignac next week.

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    so 3 years left

15. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Indeed.

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    My main point was that this bolded part isn't really true. Assuming TFC would replace him with another DP, nothing really changes except to MLSE for whatever salary difference there is between what Giovinco earns now and the new DP earns later. It's not like they can invest the millions in making the team better.

As for MLSE as a business, yes, I see that side but, as a fan, its not my main focus. That is, MLSE is already spending, supporting the team, etc. so its not like this would let TFC go from a have not to a have team.

Question: How much of any transfer fee does the team keep and how much, if any, goes to the league?

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here is an article from a few years ago about how transfer fees get divided up.

http://www.massivereport.com/2014/8/23/6060435/mls-transfer-rules-many-ways-to-cut-the-pie

Looks like (in the Giovinco speculation we are talking about) TFC would keep 2/3 of it and $650k would be additional allocation and the balance would be for non-player operations (remember when this part of the Mo Edu transfer to Rangers paid for the conversion to grass?)

18. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So, while I don't disagree that the Mo Edu for grass was a great trade, I'm not so keen on trading Giovinco for stadium upgrades. The $650k allocation would be nice, but that's a big part of the team that you need to replace.

Deleted User x repped this.
  19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I look at it this way......if the offer is really "huge" then you consider it...yes you have to go out and find a new DP striker but that is in your budget anyway so the question is do you think you can get similar production from another player.....$650k in allocation money is nothing to sneeze at....and I think it is very good for the game in North America if owners make money....it attracts more investment in the game and, maybe, shows a path to a less stringent cap.

So, say, TFC gets $30MM (75% of the figures we mused about above) profit....the team gets $650k allocation and another strong DP striker gets brought in.....that is not really a bad thing.

By way of an update, all the soccer journos are running pieces that he is not for sale. Here is Kurt Larson's piece in the Sun.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/24/toronto-fcs-giovinco-receives-huge-deal-from-china-report

Interesting that the headline is they are not looking to sell....but the comments are that they have nothing to consider because no approach has been made.....and then this from Bez:

This seems to dovetail with what the agent said earlier in the piece:

20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    it was grass plus that North End stand that is now gone.

21. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Another excellent Kurt Larson article.

22. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    TFC signing Giovinco was the biggest coup for any team in MLS. Even the commissioner said as much. Trying to repeat that would be a roll of the dice at this point. You might end up with another Defoe.

I say enjoy him while we have him.

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I also have to wonder at what point the realities of life become a deciding factor for a player like Giovinco. As larger cities go, Toronto is, simply put, a pretty nice place to live. Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect that once you're making above a certain amount the lure of more money starts to drop off a bit. Not disappear, but become less of a factor. So while I'm sure there are great places in China, too, I wonder if Giovinco might just decide that $7 million a year in a city he loves and has settled his family in is just fine, thanks, and I'll pass on $10 million (or whatever) somewhere else.

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that's a good point. Really for Gio, prestige is more likely to pull him away than money is. If a major European club was after him he'd likely take it it, but playing in China doesn't have any more prestige than playing in MLS does.

25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Couldn't you say the same thing about some of the other places players have left for China? Was Oscar living in hell in London?

crazypete13 repped this.