Toronto at Revs - Post game discussion

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Aug 1, 2009.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not happy with the way they played. Everyone looked to be on a different page tonight. No realy fluidity in their play. Ralston not seeing the ball that much and the lack of offense showed. I would love to have DeRo on the Revs,,,,,guy is just dangerous all the time

2. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should've been a win after that gift of a red card.

can't be mad about dero's goal...that was nasty.

3. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I f*cking hate Nyassi, and Nicol probably got a red card because he decided to NOT sub him out. The kid leeks balls more than Khano did, he brings nothing but frustration to this team. Absolutely terrible, he should never wear a professional soccer jersey again. He should be playing track, cause he's fast and should be nowhere near a ball.

RRRREV IT UP

4. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Extremely disappointing. Feels like a loss. Red cards like that just kill a match because the short team packs it in and there is little football being played. SN probably got kicked out because he was furious at the team and took it out on the officials. Just an off match by many players.

Thank God for Heaps though. Although Wells had the initiative to make the push on our goal, he utterly failed while in the box. His failure to shoot made me cringe. Nyassi had his jock handed to him tonight.

EJ was a bright light with his headers and deft footwork. Very much looking to seeing more of him.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A missed opportunity :mad:
    Off game for a number of players
    Janny was a bright spot and will get even better as his fitness improves and he adjusts to MLS hack-fest defending.
    Thompson missed a chance to be the hero---shoot shit-head---shoot.
    Tornoto played well

6. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

amen!!! he's the best useless player in the league. All of his work and nothing ever comes of it. It's not that he's unskilled. It's just that nothing he does does anything. It's all for nothing every time.

with the card, we should have done better. With out it, this could have been a very different game. I'd say we were lucky to tie. NOT GOOD!

7. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He at least was the initial setup man for our goal, with his cut inside.

Nyassi would have tried to crossed the ball to the opposite side linesman.

Thompson >>>>>>>>>>>> Nyassi, Thompson should start next week.

RRRREV IT UP

8. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Nyassi should be used as a late sub. See if some speedy fresh legs can do anything against tired defenders.
    Beats me. He blows

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terry Vaughn should have read our discussion last week about fouls on balls in the air. I think Gerba may have gone for the ball once in the match. Every other time he backed in and fouled the defender by undercutting him. In fact Reis counted off his fouls to Vaughn at one point (just after Gerba's simulation card, I believe). Of course, is it a foul if the clueless ref doesn't call it??? MLS needs to do something about fact that most of our refs don't understand the Laws of the Game. (I'm not bitching results-wise, here, Vaughn helped us at least as much as he hurt us tonight, he's just atrocious).

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, when Doc pulls out the S-word, you know you've messed up! I'd say we didn't seize the opportunity 4 or 5 times tonight (JL passed up two opportunities to shoot from about 25 yards).

For those who are dumping on Nyassi, had his side volley one-timer been 6 or 8"s left, he would have had a goal of the year.

11. Biker Jim

Biker Jim Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Newton, MA
    I'm grateful for Heaps' assist on our goal, but on the Toronto goal, he had a multiple choice test: a) mark the other team's most dangerous player or b) ballwatch. Unfortunately, he chose b. I'm constantly frustrated by the Revs' reluctance to mark other teams' midfielders. I'm sure this is Nicol's doing. Maybe this works in USL or in the MLS in years gone by, but too many MLS midfielders can do damage if not marked more closely.

12. Areign

Areign New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    disapointed at the defence today, they were all on different pages, i have no clue how this was not a muiltiple goal against game. heaps did not play well defensively and i felt he went foward well until he was forced onto his right foot, at which point he is more useless than khano on his right foot, khano at least had some speed. additionally i think this was larentowicz's worse game in a long time. the midfield was a gaping hole whenever tfc had the ball, it really exposed our defence. i feel like hes gotten used to our dual defensive mid style of play when hes next to phalen. larry is going to have to do better in the future if we are going to contend for anything. hopefully with the introduction of more games and playing time together the team will gel better in the future. my bright spots were EJ and vidiera, i hope these two keep improving and meshing with the team. personally i think vidiera should be part of our first choise squad, of course im not sure whod id want to move out. perhaps a return to the 3-5-2 of old, not sure. we played with a 3 back + ultra def mid larry diuring the late second half of this game, maybe it was more than just a desperate ploy. it didnt look all that bad. otherwise i see no way to fit vidiera into the lineup without moving ralston to wing, i dont think that is a good idea.

13. spiny norman

spiny norman Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortunately, there were a couple situations, including the goal, where either Heaps or Larentowicz had DeRosario elude them, and as someone else mentioned, in the first half, Toronto had way too much territory conceded to them by the Revs' center midfield. For whatever reason, it was an off game for Larentowicz. The goal was unlucky, in that it bounced directly to DeRosario, but very preventable, too. A frustrating game to watch, especially with Nyassi, Alston, and Jankauskas getting beat up physically. watching this game, it seems to me that teams who get away with that kind of physicality (the ref did a pretty decent job tonight) are going to have success against the Revs. Alston had a great game, Barnes is still solid as heck for the most part.

14. Biker Jim

Biker Jim Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Newton, MA
    I'm looking for Barnes to take his throw ins to the next level and look to connect with people rather than just heave the ball as far as he can. A shorter throwin that Ralston can flick on toward the box works better than the long ball the defenders can clear, especially when the referee lets defenders push our forwards out of the way.

15. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnes (+)
    Joseph (+)
    Jankauskas (+)
    Ralston (+)
    Reis (0)
    Videira (0)
    Osei (0)
    Thompson (0)
    Alston (0)
    Heaps (0)
    Dube (0)
    Larentowicz (-)
    Nyassi (-)
    Mansally (-)

16. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alston played amazing today. It was his best game so far this season.

17. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. I should probly rewatch the tape as I was at the game, but I felt that Alston was out of position a few times. Times where De Rosario was lurking.

18. Morrison8312

Morrison8312 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the goal (Barrett got the initial shot off) Alston was the reason Barrett got sent off. He was in his shirt all game and Chad finally got fed up and threw him down for his first yellow. Obviously, the 2nd yellow was a terrible call but again it was a late slide into Alston.

Alston (+)

Overall, a terrible tie. An unlucky goal on our part but we didn't play well at all.

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add to that list Mansally and Dube. SN is in a position where he has to play most of team Gambia even though they're little more than fast. The outside guys are killing the attack and Wells is a better option. He had one chance where he took one too many touches. Team Gambia did that all night long

20. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI, none of those guys are from Ghana. Just saying.

21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed my post

22. RgAeLrSrTaOrNd

RgAeLrSrTaOrNd New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, this game should be the end of Joseph playing at forward. Earlier in the season he was needed up top because the team lacked a true target forward to hold the ball up top. Now that Jankauskus is back and Dube seems to be finding his form center midfield is the team's biggest weakness.

I've noticed Larentowicz hasn't looked as strong in recent weeks. I'm not sure he's the kind of dominant center midefielder that can control the middle all on his own. With Joseph at his side, however, he looks a very good player.

I know it's worked the last few weeks, but I think this game showed that Ralston, especially at his age, is not fit to be a central midfielder expected to do too much defending. He was restrained from attacking and was knocked off the ball. His defensive deficiencies allowed TFC to control the midfield. I think he should be pushed wide or further up the field.

Next week I'd like to see:

------------Dube----Jankauskus------------

-Castro--Joseph---Larentowicz-------Ralston

----Heaps-----Osei------Barnes-----Alston
    ----------------Reis-----------------

Mansally on at half, and then Nyassi late in the game. I woud also consider Ralston at forward, Dube on the bench, and Nyassi at wide, but Nicol says Nyassi could use a rest, and in my opinion the Revs have looked better with 2 true center forwards. I'm hoping Castro's fit, as his service to Jankauskus would be a big improvement over the Gambians. This line-up would be considerably slower than what we've gotten used to the last two years, but they'd be tactically and technically more sound, as well as better in possession.

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but I think that after the substitution, Rally moved forward and SJ moved into his midfield slot. I agree with your basic point, and would also really not like to see Ralston at forward, either.

24. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the plus side. I think Barnes gets better and better. He's becoming a very solid CB. I like him.

25. RgAeLrSrTaOrNd

RgAeLrSrTaOrNd New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you can see him and Alston both maturing. At one point yesterday a long ball was played up by Frei that went a little ways over the Tornoto forward's head. Barnes cooly brought it down with his chest and turned to his right to play the ball to Heaps. That play was a small example of how much he's matured, especially in possession. Just a few months ago I'm sure he would have just headed the ball forward, likely to an opposing midfielder. I'm really excited for both him and Alston.