Top Ten Questions for 2016

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 31, 2016.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about 400 miles from Foxboro to Rochester.

The Colorado Rapids affiliate was the Charlotte Independence. Denver and Charlotte are over 1,500 miles apart.

Rapids players in Charlotte, GP, Min: 2016
    Caleb Calvert, F 21 1616
    Emmanuel Appiah, M 2 24
    John Berner, GK 20 1782
    Zach Pfeffer, M 16 546
    Dennis Castillo, D 2 162
    Joseph Greenspan, D 6 288

How did they manage to pull that off? :eek:

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony was there was more optimism from Bilello about the partnership with a club an 8 hour flight away in a different continent than the one a 6 hour drive away.

Eventually, they'll figure out this whole partnership thing. Maybe.

patfan1 repped this.
  4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No pressure.

5. Pfoley58

Pfoley58 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Scitaute MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between accepting an answer at face value, and implying that the answer is untruthful, or that the answer "treats us like idiots." You are correct, many teams can and have made multiple changes all at once to varying degrees of success. According the Jay, this team, and this coaching staff decided to wait and implement a change later. That's not treating the fans like idiots, it's just telling the fans that they made a decision and providing some insight into why.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I take it you are satisfied with his answer. That instead of taking a couple of games to see if something was working, and when it clearly wasn't, making a change, he stubbornly stuck with his "system" because, well, um... He didn't want to overwhelm a group of professional players who surely, at different points in their careers, had played in all kinds of systems? Or he was just bereft of ideas?

If you're OK with that explanation, good for you, but I think it is insulting to think that most fans who follow the team closely would. There were clamorings from NNN and KADs alike that this wasn't working and he needed to change things around to better use his players. Finally he did, but it was too late to make a difference. A lot of us are pissed off that the team would likely have not only made the playoffs but at lest had a shot at winning their first round if they had sorted this out earlier and started playing like they did in September, but in late July or early August...

7. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    On this upcoming festive Thursday, I will be eternally thankful that we even have a team in New England to call our own. I sincerely hope you will share in that sentiment with me. It is all we need.

Thank you,

Kevin

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankful we have a team? I wanna party like it's 1997!

That used to be the counter-argument to the anti-Kraft meme, that we could just as easily be Philadelphia, a big city on the east coast with a long and rich sports history, but no soccer team. Now it seems that Detroit and St. Louis are the only long-time major sports markets without an MLS team.

We've got a team, but at least we're not the Chicago Fire!

ktsd repped this.
  9. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I don't like using smilies. Particularly the rollie-eye one.

Though without sarcasm: I can totally agree I'm glad we don't have the Hauptmann version of the Fire! Poor bastitches. But I don't feel far behind.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've made a reported 3 year $16m offer to Schweinsteiger. Regardless of your opinion of the player at this point in his career, that alone is far more ambitious than the revs have been this offseason.

11. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your basic point, but really; what we need is another central midfielder.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the revs are ok at central midfield for now. With Kouassi anticipated to be an impact player, there's Caldwell, Rowe, Nguyen and Herivaux. The revs need a speedy winger who has a nose for the goal and forces teams to account for him. Sort of like a faster Fagundez.

MM66 and BERich repped this.
  13. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Punctuation, done correctly gets your point across correctly.
    What I said - we need another central midfielder. What I meant to say - we need another central midfielder?!?!?
    What we really need is a central defender.

MM66, a517dogg and Doublecard repped this.
  14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bilello addressed the empty roster spots question directly via twitter:

NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to save this tweet so in the summer when some of our fans say that we don't leave roster spots open ...

16. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    Some years? When was the last time the Revs actually had a full roster?

NFLPatriot and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How come other teams can find a way to have a full roster and players who accept their financial compensation (I hesitate to say players who are satisfied with what they are getting paid)?

a517dogg repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Brian. Of course, by league rule, you can only do that with two slots (Senior Roster is size 20, must be at least 18), so it's not the full answer...

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - I was wondering the same thing. Bilello said there were "cap constraints" for 2016 (even with 24 players on the roster). I still don't know how the smallest roster in MLS could have cap constraints if the goal was more cap space per player.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS rules are often made in jello, is that still the case?

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still true in 2016:
    http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

The remaining shortfall must be on the Development Roster. You know, the guys that are supposed to be playing in Rochester...

22. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just to provide some contrast, Real Madrid has been through a spate of injuries this season, particularly at DM (Casemiro and Toni Kroos) and forward (Karim Benzema, Alvaro Morata and Gareth Bale). When the injuries piled up, Zidane looked at his roster and changed his tactics to fit the team he had rather the team he was supposed to have. Wasted no time in making the switch. Didn't keep trotting out a 4-3-3 when he found himself flush with creative midfielders, but short on destroyers and attackers. He even made the change right ahead of El Derbi with Atletico.

And he keeps making tweaks dependent on who's in the game at the moment: 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1. I guess that's why the guy won a Champions League as a rookie manager. Yet it serves as a reminder that good coaching optimizes the talents of the players on the field.

23. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The financial acumen of that statement is brilliant. If you take the salary budget and divide it by less players, you get more per player...wow, pure genius! What that means is that you sign players until you reach the league salary budget and then stop there. If you are short a few from a full roster, ah, so be it. It's not about developing a team to win games, it's about developing a team to remain within budget.

With Kraft as owners, Bilello as budget master and Burns as GM; we should remain on top of the budget masters list for years to come.

pwykes and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Budget Champs, baby! We got a whole cabinet full of trophies for that!

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, that plus the world's most expensive roster (or close to it)!