Top Baby Names for 2008

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by scaryice, May 8, 2009.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    There's a new #1 for girls! Emily's 12 year reign is over. Here's the top ten:

Code:
    Rank      Male name      Female name

1     Jacob             Emma
    2     Michael     Isabella
    3     Ethan             Emily
    4     Joshua           Madison
    5     Daniel             Av

6     Alexander     Olivia
    7     Anthony     Sophia
    8     William     Abigail
    9     Christopher     Elizabeth
    10     Matthew     Chloe
    Alexander debuts in the top ten for males, replacing Andrew. Chloe replaces Hannah in the top ten for females. More details here.

Only 14 different names have topped the lists over the past 129 years. List of names to hit #1:

Code:
                    Streak    Years
    1    Mary        67    1880-1946
    2    Linda       6    1947-1952
    3    Mary        9    1953-1961
    4    Lisa        8    1962-1969
    5    Jennifer    15    1970-1984
    6    Jessica     6    1985-1990
    7    Ashley      2    1991-1992
    8    Jessica     3    1993-1995
    9    Emily       12    1996-2007
    10    Emma             1    2008

Streak    Years
    1    John        44    1880-1923
    2    Robert      16    1924-1939
    3    James       13    1940-1952
    4    Robert      1    1953
    5    Michael     6    1954-1959
    6    David       1    1960
    7    Michael     38    1961-1998
    8    Jacob       10    1999-2008

2. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That second list is fascinating. For girls' names, there has been a steady passing of the torch from name to name with no repeats since 1880. With boys, though, there seems to be more a passing back and forth between a smaller number of standard names. Why is this?

I'll hazard a guess--it probably has to do with parent attitudes towards child gender. It is assumed girls will one day go off and join another family, so there's no need to have a "traditional name," while boys are seen as maintainers of the same family, thus the desire to give them a conservative, "time tested" name.

These are not the attitudes that my fiancee and I have, but I think this may account for the difference in naming patterns.

Anyway, that's my "Modern Jackass Magazine" theory for the day!

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I read when we were researching baby names a few years back -- there are examples of names that used to be for boys but are now for girls, and once they become names for girls, they don't get used for boys any more. Leslie and Stacy are a couple of examples -- there are some fairly famous older men with those names (actors Leslie Nielsen and Stacy Keach) but nobody's naming their boys Leslie or Stacy these days.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, some of those names go back and forth in the African American community. I've had both male and female students named Stacy and also Dominique. Hmmm... now that I think about it, I might not have had female Stacys... but I've had lots of Dominiques of both genders. Have a male Dominique now.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Along these lines...

At the turn of the 20th century, "Pearl" was typically a man's name. The western writer Zane Gray's given name is "Pearl Gray." He changed it after he overheard people talking about his first published stories and referring to the author as "she." I had a neighbor when I was growing up who we called "Peck Denley" because by the time he hit adulthood, "Pearl Denley" was causing him untold grief.

Maury Povich's dad is a sportswriter named Shirley Povich. I've met two academics who go by their first initial and their middle name, say, "S. Frederick" because their first name was Shirley.

6. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole male-to-female shift on names is really fascinating to me.

Let's see (some of these you guys already mentioned)

Stacey, Ashley, Leslie, Shirley, Carol, Marion, Pearl, Jordan, Lauren (and its variants), Cary (and its variants), Kim, Abbie, Sean (switched to Shawn), Jamie, Dominique, Terry...

Then there are the names that are unisex in their shortened form:

Jess, Chris, Alex, Jo, Jamie...

Is this a purely English phenomenon? I've lived in Latin America and I never once encountered an name that could go both ways. José and Maria go together, but José Maria is always a guy and Maria José is always a girl. Can anyone weigh in on other languages?

7. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Adrian is another one that is now considered (most often) a girls name. Girls have Andrianna, I don't understand why they need Adrian too.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are there many boys named Francis these days? Or do people go with Franklin if they want a kid named Frank?

Thanks to my wife, I know that "Francis" is the traditional spelling of the boy's name, and "Frances" for the girl's. Makes it easy to remember: His name is Francis, her name is Frances.

9. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thought of a couple more:

Connie, Alison

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The top baby names in reality:

Boy- Jose

Girl - Maria

11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Courtney.

At some point I'll stop trying to think of them

12. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I met a guy named Hillary, once. Up to that point, I hadn't realized that Hillary could be a boy's name.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bailey is another.

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been a trend toward last names as first names for a while, maybe more prevalent among girls than boys.

Madison, McKenzie, Bailey, Paige, Shelby, Lindsey, Payton, Cameron (both sexes), Mallory, Whitney, (K)assidy, and Taylor.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't get me started on Lexus and Mercedes. If the former was short for "Alexis," I'd let it slide, but I've come across too many people who've named their kids after luxury vehicles.

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Mercedes was a woman's name long before it was a car. Lexus, however...

17. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Cameron (boy). I don't think of it as a last name so much, but a Scottish name. I think it's like #6 in popularity over there. Not that we were going for a Scottish name, we just liked it. There seems to be a lot more girl Camerons now, although they usually spell it more "girly".

18. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I was at a graduation and one girl's name was Mercedes Binns. :eek:

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron is a Scots name, but it's a surname first.

20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We named our son Taylor. When his mum first mentioned it I thought it was a girls only name but we both liked it and it fitted in with one of our main criteria which was that we didn't want it being shortened to a slang version.

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mercedes is a pretty common Spanish name (comes from the Spanish for either 'mercy' or 'deserving', I'm not sure which).

22. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Most likely because of naming conventions in English. I'll bet a number of those Roberts and Johns are Juniors, III's, IV's, etc, whereas there's no corresponding tradition with women's names.

23. TigerTodd

TigerTodd New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this thread is basically dead but thought it was the best spot available for this - any advice out there for the wife and I to resolve our conflict on naming our new baby?

I'm not looking for suggestions - but rather how to settle the fact that I've got a name and she's got a name and neither one of us like the other's option.

24. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to weigh in (don't have any kids yet myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt...) but we need more info. Is this a kid that is currently in the oven, or a theoretical future kid? Do you know the gender? Is the issue the first name or what last name the kid will have?

25. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Bigsoccer name draft! :)