Top 50 Belgian Players all time

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by The Bergamister, Mar 23, 2006.

1. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    I'm not saying Simons should be on the list, but please do tell why Kompany deserves to be there. So far, he's nothing but a talent hindered by injuries.

2. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Well, he's the best player I have seen in the belgian league in the past 10 years, his credentials only support my opinion (17 years old: golden boot, ebony boot, official offers by Sevilla, Lyon, Chelsea etc...) . Everytime (except once- can't remember wich one) he played with the national team, he is by far the best player on the pitch. I mean , the seasons he played at a topclub like Anderlecht , were astonishing, he was the best player of the club week by week by week ...
    Even in his first few matches on the professional level , he shone in the Champions League against Lyon ,Celtic ...
    He has made the biggest impression on me, that a belgian player ever did.
    Now, I understand, he hasn't completely showed his skills at Hamburg yet, due to injuries, give it some time, and you will too be convinced.
    I think kompany should be in the list, because I saw him play at least a 100 times. I understand you think differently, because you haven't seen him play that much.
    That's all i'm saying, i'm just defending my opinion about this list.
    Try not to make to big a fuss about it ;)
    BTW, can anyone give me a reason why Simons should be in there ?
    The guy has nothing extraoardinary about him accepts perhaps his indurance, he can keep on running throughout 90 minutes. There has never been a world star with his profile, and there won't ever come on

3. padrino187

padrino187 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Brescia-Italy
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    U don't have the M'Penza guys over there ar u racist??

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Neither deserves to be among our top 100.

Emile Mpenza: just 17 goals in 54 appearances for Belgium, most of those scored against minnows like San Marino.

Mbo Mpenza: just 3 goals in 54 appearances for Belgium.

Neither of them has a international record worthy of being amongst our top 100.

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't know that Mbo was that shit for Belgium. :eek:

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's the thing, all the offensive players/strikers in that top 100 list have far superior goal scoring records to the Mpenza brothers.

7. PSG55

PSG55 New Member

May 16, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd like to nominate Michel Preud'homme. I thought he was an oustanding goalkeeper and it's great to see him doing well as a manager now too.:cool:

8. Arno_Silva

Arno_Silva New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I´ve never seen 11 Players together so huge as:
    Preud´homme
    Gerets
    Grun
    Demol
    De Wolf
    Versavel
    Clijster
    Van Der Elst
    Scifo
    Ceulemans
    Degrisee
    They could win 90 worldcup...isn´t it a pity?

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They had a really good team but Italy, West Germany and even Yugoslavia had better teams than Belgium. Holland was better on paper but they never really got going.

10. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The 1990 team looked better than the 1986 team that reached the semi_finals, David Platt thank you very much :mad:

on topic: things are changing in Belgian football, we are the witnessing rise of what could be the best generation ever in Belgium. I can see players like Dembélé, Witsel, Fellaini, Kompany, Defour, Hazard, Vertonghen crack this top 50 list when it's all said and done.

11. Arno_Silva

Arno_Silva New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok, I was refering just to belgians, but I agree with you, maybe there were better national teams.
    I started to follow world Cups in 1970, when I was 9. Worldcups are the best place to watch and meet new players that we don´t knew until there. During all these years, I chose the following teams, that I never more forgot:
    Brazil, 1970: Felix, Carlos Alberto, Brito, Piazza, Everaldo, Clodoaldo, Gerson, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Pelé, Tostão.
    Holland, 1974: Jongbloed, Suurbier, Haan, Rijsbergen, Krol, Jansen, Van Hanegen, Neskens, Kruijf, Rep, Rensenbrink.
    Italia, 1982: Zoff, Gentile, Scirea, Colovatti, Cabrini, Oriali, Tardelli, Antognonni, Paollo Rossi, Autobelli, Bruno Conti.
    Belgie, 1990: Preud´homme, Gerets, Grun, Demol, De Wolf, Versavel, Clijster, Van der Elst, Scifo, Ceulemans, Degryse.
    England, 1990: Shilton, Parker, Des Walker, Butcher, Pearce, Wright, Waddle, Paul Gascoigne, Barnes, Linecker, Platt.
    After 1990, I didn´t see another memorabile team anymore.
    As unique players to remember, we can say:
    Argentina 1978: Neskens, Holland.
    USA 1986: Rummenigge, Germany.
    USA 1994: Roberto Donadoni, Italia.
    France 1998: David Bergkamp, Holland.
    Japan/Korea 2002: Ronaldo Nazario, Brazil.
    Germany 2006: ??? (in my opinion...).

Many thanks, guys!

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Very few nations can boast a central midfield duo potentially as good as Vertonghen and Fellaini, that's for sure. And Kompany is one of the most complete young players out there.

13. CyndiBop

CyndiBop New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Südtirol
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This list might be interesting, but it's almost impossible to find any data for some of the players from the second half of the list.
    Players like "Van Vaerenbergh" "Vernimmen" "Badjou" "Armand Seghers" "Daenen" "Verstappen" "Gernay" "Rik de Saedeleer" probably exists only in his very personal fanciful "Belgium fantasy Realm" of this gentleman.
    If anyone could tell me any info on these players, please do ;)

14. YB-F

YB-F New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Some players that quicky come to mind.

Fons van Brandt, leftback or center back.

Played at WC1954 and was very impressive. During the match against Engeland (4-4) for example, football legend Stanley Matthews went to play on the other side to avoid Van Brandt because he just couldn't get past him. Earned a selection in the 'European Continental Team' after the tournament. There again he played against Engeland with Matthews and did very well. The match was won with 4-1. He earned 38 caps with Belgium. During his club career, he only played for K Lierse SK and won the Golden Shoe in 1955, before Vic Mees (Antwerp FC).

Ludo Coeck, midfielder.

Had much injuries during his career but was very important for Anderlecht: 3x Champion of Belgium, 2x ECII and 1x UEFA-Cup. Went to Inter Milaan but didn't succeed there, again due to injuries. But he was still a player who you could admire. Didn't really have any weak points. Played 46 times for Belgium. Died tragically after a car-accident.

15. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Rik de Saedeleer is a legendary commentater, don't know about his playing career.

16. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be honest ; from this 8 players mentioned I've known only Armand Seghers as a legendary goalkeeper,the other , Rik de Saedeleer as a legendary footballcommentator for the Belgian TV.
    most probably these players played in the '40 and the '50 era...

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    De Saedeleer played in the 50s for Racing Mechelen I believe.

18. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    correct and what I've learned technically very gifted...
    he was not only good with his tongue ;)

19. godoy22

godoy22 New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  20. Anorthosis

Anorthosis New Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I find it very interesting to compare players from now with players from the past. I don't have seen playing all the players named here but I think these players from now deserve to be in this list.

In any case Vincent Kompany, what a defender. Eden Hazard, imo can become Belgian's best ever. Kevin De Bruyne, has to be in here, magnificent. Thibaut Courtois: class goal keeper.

Also: Radja Nainggolan: class. Vermaelen & Vertonghen: great defenders.

Perhaps also: Mignolet, Alderweireld, Witsel, Fellaini, Dembele, Benteke, Lukaku, Mertens.

In the future maybe: Carrasco, Origi, Januzaj, Musonda, Denayer, Sels, Bakkali.

21. Anorthosis

Anorthosis New Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    where should the players from now rank between the best Belgians ever?