Top 20 women's football teams in the world (all levels of play)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by WPS_Movement, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #26 Batfink, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    @luvdagame OK, because your not recruiting the typical crazies for back up, or simply shouting idiotic abuse at me, for daring to talk about the other quality teams besides the ones you like, let's break this whole lists critique down....

In my attempt to streamline the approach to selecting the worlds top teams...:rolleyes:, focusing on the divisive/random criteria of mystique and overall (positive) fame, I think my top 6 is pretty simple to understand with the explanations I provided.

But if I was going to step back now and view things from another perspective, I can only think that Olympique Lyonnais of France would appear to be the highly dubious choice for most USwnt fans, as their the only club team on my list, playing amongst a relative scatter brain level of parity, compared to the more visible levels of fame national teams like the U.S.wnt can attain, amongst the elite of the international scene.

However, on factors such as mystique and fame, I would argue that the impact of Lyon's women, will likely carry far more historical significance, compared to the success of the U.S.wnt, all because of the massive role male club affiliation will play in the future of the sport, and Lyon's pioneering example of how it can work for women, trying to excel in nations dominated by the globes strongest male football cultures.

And it's with this backdrop of positive cultural and sporting progress, that Lyon's mystique and fame for me, will put them further ahead of many successful teams, in ways the success of the U.S.wnt hasn't, and likely never will reach.

So without making an increasingly large list that loses it's potency, who would you need to push out of my top 6 top just force in the U.S.wnt...? And with respect to the other teams, why would you even need to do that anyway...?

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    no need to force them in.

it's difficult to see how an "ever" list won't naturally position the uswnt ahead of china, scandinavian women's teams and others on your list.

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #28 Batfink, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    How so...:unsure:

When has any U.S.wnt held the kind of true mystique, seen with those 6 particular teams I mention...? It's always been pretty obvious as to why the U.S.wnt have been successful in the early years of FIFA regulated competition, and I struggle to think of one particular side they've produced, which has created the same amounts of head scratching, as the 6 sides I've picked out.

Fame is the only unquantifiable factor, the U.S.wnt ranks well on in such an odd list, and even then, outside of the ability to win the Olympics, or the massive domestic appeal of the WWC in '99, I would easily place the combined mystique and fame of Scandinavian women's football, above many things seen in this sport, while the short rise of China's women, should probably be even higher on my list in reality too, given the relative horror show for all the domestic structures of football in China...:confused:

Should Brazil's mystique and fame, attained via their awesome attacking display's from '03 - '08, see them replaced by any U.S.wnt...o_O. Maybe successive German WC triumph's in the fashion they accomplished them, still has lesser combined mystique and fame of any one US.wnt..? Or Japan's group stage exit in 07's WC, followed by them relentlessly pissing the face of history, on route to 2011's jaw dropping win, needs to be replaced by any number of teams in the past 20+ years...:rolleyes:

It's not a who's held the FIFA rank longest. It's a random thread titled Top 20 women's football teams in the world (all level of play), using the weird criteria of mystique and fame for a teams selection, which I've then chosen to strip down to a top 6 ever, and top 3 now. So come on, you tell me which one of my list deserves to be replaced by any other team in world, during any point in FIFA regulated history, on such random combined factors as the mystique and fame of football...?

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i guess i'm just not as willing to include simple mediocrity and failure as greater in mystique and fame than consistent top performance.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #30 WPS_Movement, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    So Germany has more mystique than the USWNT, even though the U.S. have won about twice as many matches in head-to-head meetings against Germany as Germany have won against the U.S.
    That borders on "domination" in their head-to-head record. And the U.S. beat Germany in the U-20 Final as well, the only time that the two teams have faced each other in a major Final.
    U.S. beat Germany in the Algarve Cup Final, the most recent big match they faced each other.

You can only tell who is truly the best, when the two sides face each other at the same time, on the same pitch, in the most meaningful of matches.
    Germany needs to beat the U.S. more often in head-to-head clashes.
    The only big match I can remember Germany beating U.S. was in the 2003 WWC (against the grandma 91ers).
    Germany beat US in the group stage at the U-20 WWC, but then the U.S. won the much bigger game (the Final).

The level of disdain that Germany has for the USWNT, is much like Netherlands has for Germany in the men's game. :)

Time to hype up the 2015 WWC Final: USA vs. Germany

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People knowledgeable to the women's game, will probably care very little about the U.S.wnt in the years between WC's. And if they have a good wnt of their own to follow, I doubt even more that they'll be dumb enough to
    care about comparing non competitive records, with one of the worlds only two professionally run wnt's too....:rolleyes:

Again, it was Wps_Movement who selected the odd criteria for constructing a possible top 20 list, but is it so hard to understand how mystique and fame could also translate better to a majority of semi pro women's teams? All of which have easily contributed to some of the finest examples of the women's game over the past two decades, in a young niche sport globally, that's struggling to find a common ground for parity, on some of the most basic aspects of what we would typically associate with idea of world class professional sports.

Arguing the US.wnt holds more mystique over others, because they continue to pump out endless friendly match winning streaks, thanks to the rare social/economic benefits, of an outrageously progressive piece government legislation, still sounds a bit short sighted to me.

I mean, come on. Brazil as my #1 didn't even get to play any games outside of WC/Olympic qualification, but still produced teams that showcased attacking football no other women's side currently could hope to emulate, and yet luvdagame cries foul, believing my list only highlights mediocrity, due to it lacking teams with factors which makes the U.S.wnt more valid in this debate, such as.... "consistent top performance"....:confused:

So besides the vague global relevance of the U.S.wnt's fame, I don't see a distinctive but intangible quality, better than the levels of mystique attained by the far reaching achievements of the other names in my top 6...:unsure:

Gromit06 repped this.
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The U.S. women's national team is the #1 ranked team in the world, and has been for > 90% of the time in the history of FIFA women's rankings.

They are renowned as the world's best "brand" at their sport.
    They are the #1 brand.
    Hence they are #1 on these rankings for mystique, fame, and reputability (along with winning).

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO:

And they'll be the most hated team in Canada. On top of that the Germans think they play thug football. You are confusing massive amounts of money going into their program vs love by the international football community. They ain't loved like you think.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would have to agree with you on this one, newsouth!
    We all know the current US team could be it's best one ever, but we don't really have to rub it in! It's bad enough that Wambach is becoming the most hated figure in women's soccer with her constant flapping or faking fouls, but there's no reason for the US to keep sending in it's A team to demolish other countries that are playing teams that are obviously in transition. Even Germany didn't bother to put their best foot down when they bombed against the US in the Algaeve Cup. If you observed more closely, they had their 2nd stringers in at defense.

Right now, the US should pull out Wambach, Morgan, Lloyd & Haliday, and play their B team instead in these friendlies. Even if they take a licking(which I really don't think they would) it would be good experience for them to loose game or two. Right now, as is with the complete A team, their heading the same path as the 2007 wc team; winning something like 60 straight games until they run into a strong team(when it really matters) like Brazil that kicked their butts in the semis cause the US had no idea anymore how to play in a close game.

NBC commentator, Kate Markgraf, made the keenest observations the other day when talking about Australia when she said(that could apply to most other countries as well): that right now the Australians have no choice but to play their best youth at the highest levels(like their senior NT) because by the time their reach their peak age at their mid twenties, most of the girls have to worry about making a living or raising families because they can't make a living in AUS semi pro league and it's government(even if it's rich) or soccer federation will NOT continuously support them.

So here in America, we should be lucky that the US Soccer Federation gives the women's game equal treatment. That we have an excellent college system that gives thousands of full scholarships to females every year so that can get a good education while still playing good competitive soccer. But as noted, we need to share our love for the women's game with the rest of the world, not rub it in!

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #35 WPS_Movement, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    No one is "rubbing it in", or intended to. The USWNT is not perfect, no team is invincible.

However, there is a reason why the U.S. Women's team draws the best consistent attendance over time, highest ratings in the media and TV world, and total # of hits on their online videos, etc. It's because they are the most famous women's national team, and the most followed women's national team in the world. There are more non-American soccer fans that follow U.S. youth and collegiate soccer for women, more so than they follow any other foreign nation to them. The intrigue, mystique, and fame is real of the U.S. women. It's legit. However, they aren't perfect. They have won some major matches and tournament finals, and they have lost some. They have won in dramatic fashion, and they have honorably lost some in dramatic fashion. The women's game today has more parity than it ever has. But the U.S. women have been on that mountain top more so than anyone else in history. That trend has started to change a bit, however, over the past few years, as new world powers have emerged.

The world has welcomed France and Japan on to the scene over the past few years. It's better for the international game that they have become world powers, and one of them beat the USWNT in the 2011 WWC Final, and earned a hard-fought honorable victory filled with integrity over the USWNT. On that day, the global women's game got "Better", not worse or the same. Someone other than the USWNT, Germany, or Norway, won the WWC Title. If you lump Brazil in to the equation (for all their Semifinal and Final appearances in major tournaments), then out of those four powerful historic nations (1990-2010), only one of them made the 2011 WWC Semifinal, as Japan, France, and Sweden burst their way deep into that tournament. The women's game got "Better" because of it. When the USWNT lost to Japan in the WWC Final, the women's game got "Better". When Germany lost on home soil to Japan in the Quarterfinal, the women's game got "Better" there too. And when Norway emerged again as a top notch European power in the 2013 UEFA tournament, the women's game got a "Sleeping Giant" back from the past. Welcome back Norway. We missed you, but it's good to have you back. Now hopefully China can awake and rise once again as a sleeping giant as well.

It's no secret that I want parity. The USWNT doesn't have to win every tournament. I have accepted that they can lose a key match. It happens. It happens to everyone. It happened to Germany at home in 2011. It happened to Lyon earlier this year. It's happened to the USWNT more than once.

The biggest epic moment for the women's game, is when Japan beat the USWNT in 2011 though.
    And Japan definitely deserved it. Even dedicated USWNT fans on here pointed that out....

One patriotic insane USWNT fan was quoted as saying, "Sauerbrunn should have been in there instead of Buehler, and who knows if Japan even gets the tying goal. But I'm not going to make excuses. Japan also had a break-away that was called offsides, when they were onside. Japan deserved the title."

-That U.S. fan wasn't so much of a homer after all. Say, I agree with him. The U.S. is not entitled to win, they have to earn it. Japan earned it more on that day. And that still holds true to this day, and always will.

Quote was taken directly from first post on this page below (July 17, 2011, WWC Final):
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/final-usa-japan-17-07-11-r.1781190/page-37

"It's not rubbing it in, when you passionately love your nation, national team, and the sport of "soccer". :D
    Especially when at times you know and respect when someone else can be equal or even better than you"
    -Insane USWNT fan, yours truly

11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #36 Batfink, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    @WPS_Movement But this argument/debate isn't about one teams questionable brilliance, odd factors of fame, or the all around red dwarf sized hubris of it's fans, is it...;) This is about whether or not, based on what your initial head scratching selection criteria set up, my condensed non U.S.wnt related top 6, remains valid in here on factors of mystique and overall positive fame.

And now with your points for consideration finally laid out, it still sounds like your missing the obvious idea of the other teams major accomplishments, which of course all include large amounts of mystique; A factor which can't be measured in the same simplistic equations of celebrity culture, that typically help generating fame, or it's very close relation infamy.

Using your criteria for a top 20 list, I definitely understand the notion of fame being heavily in the corner of the U.S.wnt, but on factors of mystique, I find it laughable that you could suggest any U.S.wnt post '99, could rank well with any on my condensed top 6 list, especially when you yourself highlight the fact everybody is forced to know everything about the U.S.wnt, in ways which has gradually reversed the little mystique they may of had post '91, into nothing more than a pre YouTube grainy VHS memory.

I mean look; I've already highlighted Lyon's credentials, but can anybody not familiar with the Brazilian, German, Japanese, Scandinavian, or early Chinese programs, explain exactly what distinctive but intangible quality surrounding these sides, helped them reach the highs they eventually did, with the various deficiencies they still each have in their own nations attitudes towards female football, and it's wider lagging sporting/social appeal...?

No matter how large, fame alone doesn't cultivate the culture behind brilliant Brazilian demonstrations of women's football. Doesn't help Germany accomplish a likely never repeated dominating WWC double. Can't foresee Japan's technical/tactical rise to prominence. Never guides the continued ongoing football success story of Scandinavia's women. And never put China in prime position to show everybody the best blueprint for teams in future years, all hoping to close the still massive gap between athleticism vs technique too.

So overall, I still feel mystique is probably the far bigger/tougher quality to quantify here...:whistling:

Gromit06 repped this.