Top 20 best Scandinavian players 1985-2005

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Bauser, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Finnish Tactician

Finnish Tactician New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Lovely :D....woohoooo :D....!!! XD

2. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just to keep it offtopic:
    I think that Norway/Denmark wasn't a union for much of history - Norway was part of Denmark...hmm kind of like Bornholm is it today ;)

3. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    If Norway had stayed with us they would still have reasonable beer prices

4. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    What the hell has this got to do with football?

Besides, Norway is the richest nation in the world, and the number 1 place in the world to live in. I don't know about how you're doing in Legoland, but we're happy.

Hey, why don't you take a trip to Greenland and freeze your nads off. :)

5. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark

6. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I didn't ask what beer had to do with football.

7. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Uhm...it has nothing to do with football - I was only trying to correct a mistake. And least of all I was talking bad about Norway. But hey - since you're so rich - will you buy Bornholm from us?

*goes into nearest corner and stops talking offtopic*

8. k_nico

k_nico New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    First of all; You have crazy amounts of oil that makes you richer than us. Second; your taxes is way higher than ours, and all Norwegian is the most expensive in the world (like products you buy in the local store)

Researches has defined the Danes as the happiest and most confident people in the world. And our national debt has just been paid off, and in 5 years we will be every country in the world economical superior.

THEN we will laugh at your poor people

but anyways, norwegians and danes are the same people from bottom

9. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    More importantly. Denmark and Norway will always live in the shadow of Sweden.

10. k_nico

k_nico New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    ... how?

11. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    What a laugh riot. You are both ludicrous.

You better stray back on topic and stop talking nonsense or this thread for nationalistic whores will probably get locked.

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1. Michael Laudrup
    2. Brian Laudrup
    3. Peter Schmeichel
    4.Tomas Brolin
    5. Preben Elkjaer
    6. Soren Lerby
    7. Henrik Larsson
    8. Jari Litmanen
    9. Morten Olsen
    10. Rune Bratseth
    11. Frank Arnesen
    12. Freddy Ljungberg
    13. Anders Limpar
    14. Thomas Ravelli
    15. Martin Dahlin
    16. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    17. Jon Dahl Tomasson
    18. Tore Andre Flo
    19. Arnor Gudjohnsen (Eidur's dad. I don't know if Iceland is part of Scandinavia)
    20. Eidur Gudjohnsen

The ironic thing is that I have so many Danes in the Top 10 and I'm not the slightest bit Danish. Princess Mary didn't bribe me either. :D

13. Pebbe Signori is god

Apr 22, 2006
    1. Michael Laudrup
    2. Peter Schmeichel
    3. Preben Elkjær
    4. Allan Simonsen
    5. Henrik Larson
    6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    7. Brian Laudrup
    8. Freddie Ljungberg
    9. Tomas Brolin
    10. Ásgeir Sigurvinsson
    11. Sören Lerby
    12. Eiður Guðjohnsen
    13. Ole Gunnar Solskjær
    14. John Dal Tomason
    15. Jan Mølby,
    16. Thomas Ravelli
    17. Morten Olsen
    18. Stefan Schwarz
    19. Tore Andre Flo
    20. Flemming Povlsen
    21. Patrick Anderson
    22. Sami Hyypia
    23. John Arne Riise
    24. Frank Arnesen
    25. Thomas Gravesen
    26. Hallvar Thoressen
    27. Jonas Thern

Top 15 all time Icelandic players:D

1. Albert Gudmundsson Arsenal, Nancy, PSG, AC Milan
    2. Asgeir Sigurvinsson Standart Liege, Bayern Munchen, Stuttgart
    3. Eidur Gudjohnsen PSV, Bolton, Chelsea
    4. Eyjolfur Sverrison Stuttgart, Besiktas, Hertha Berlin
    5. Arnor Gudjonsen Lokeren, Anderlecht, Bordeaux, Orebro, Hacken
    6. Gudni Bergsson 1860 Munchen, Tottenham, Bolton
    7. Runar Kristinsson Orgryte, Lillestrom, Lokeren
    8. Hermann Hreidarsson Palace, Charlton, Brentford, Ipswich
    9. Siggi Jonsson Sheff Wed, Barnsley, Arsenal, Orebro, Dundee
    10 Petur Petursson Feynoord, Anderlecht, Hercules, Antwerpen
    11. Atli Edvaldsson Dortmund, Uerdingen, Genberlichi
    12. Johannes Edvaldsson Celtic, Motherwell, Hannover
    13. Heidar Helguson Lillestrom, Watford, Fulham
    14. Tordur Gudjonsson Bochum, Genk, Las Palmas, Derby, Stoke
    15. Torvaldur Orlygsson Nott Forest, Stoke, Oldham, Grimsby

14. Ekh2

Ekh2 New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Hmm.. then, i wonder why ManU fans sang "Solskjaer, my only solskjaer, you make me happy, when skies are gray, you just keep scoring, when rain keeps pooring, so please dont take my solskjaer away!" in EVERY ManU match the WHOLE year he was out with injury...? :confused: he might not be a legend to you, but i assure you, Solskjaer is a big legend in ManU :) and next too that the ManU fans altso often hung a banner saying "Solskjaer, my only solskjaer" over the entrance to Old Trafford, before alot of the matches.

ive never heard anything like that being done for giggs, schmeichel, scholes or any of those players :confused:

15. Alba_Arab83

Alba_Arab83 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Olofsson Pedersen & Zetterlund were great for United, we had just came up after being relegated a season before, lost 5 of our first 6 games and were sturggling, signed those 3 and we ended up 3rd going on a 17 game unbeaten run.

Pedersen always had Laudrup & Di Canio's number, they were in his back pocket, he also used to get the crowd pumped when he came out for every game, legend.

Olofsson was great, wish we had someone like him today.

16. Kos1

Kos1 New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Copenhagen
    In 2004 Pele listed the world's best (still-living) players. 125 players were included in his FIFA list:

http://www.the-100.com/all_players_by_country.aspx

Quoted from the official FIFA site: "They represent the best, most outstanding, creative players of their generation."

The only Scandinavian country on the list is Denmark represented by three players: Michael Laudrup, Brian Laudrup and Peter Schmeichel.

Being a Dane I'm hugely biased. You can hardly accuse Pele of the same.

17. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    picking Brian Laudrup instead of Elkjær or Allan Simonsen is just wrong and just proves that Pele as allways, is talking drunken nonsense

He misused his enormous potential by playing for Glasgow rangers- To be one of the truly great he should have played for a bigger club regularly. he wasnt used much in either Milan or Munich

He was great for Denmark and that compensates a little for his lack of international club succes. Besides glasgow rangers and celtic the scottish league is below superligaen

but his technique alone should secure him a place in the top 20

Elkjær was in my opinion better because he proved himself on the national team as well as on club level- winning the scudetto with verona and finishing serie a topscorer counts more than a dozen scottish championships

watch some of his great goals from verona on his official webpage-

http://www.prebenelkjaer.com/video.html

looks like it was done by italians- they havent forgotten him

As for Allan Simonsen- european player of the year - that speaks for itself

Michael laudrup would allways be my nr 1 choice if asked who is the best player ever to come out of scandinavia

i dont know how to rate schmeichel because he was a goalie- they sort of fit into a different catagory

18. Kos1

Kos1 New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Copenhagen
    I agree - Allan Simonsen should be on Pele's list as well. European Player of the Year 1977 is an fantastic achievement. I have no knowledge of his drinking pattern.

Still: Not a single player from Sweden or Norway on a list of 125 players created by (probably) the best player ever - that's quite an indication of the different levels of football quality in Scandinavia. The list is perhaps just a little unfair to the Swedes (Brolin?). But Norwegian football? Come on. It's as absurd as believing in Danes in a skiing contest.

19. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Are you assuming that because he's a great player, he knows alot about football?

20. Kos1

Kos1 New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Copenhagen
    It's the official FIFA 100 list. Of course a lot of experts within FIFA have helped Pele create the list. It goes without saying. I don't remember any international uproar because of missing Swedish/Norwegian players...

21. Kos1

Kos1 New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Copenhagen
    FIFA has just released national team rankings (after the World Cup): http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Jul-2006,00.html

Denmark 17, Sweden 22, Norway 52.

We want more - of course! - but the list shows one thing: Team-wise Denmark and Sweden are on the same level (individually Denmark is ahead - historically speaking). Norway is grouped with nations like Israel and Guatemala so...

22. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden
    Norway will become an underdog in the Euro-qualification, ranked 4 in the group after Bosnia, Greece and Turkey. I wonder if that is good or bad, maybe they won't underestimate the other countries too much now.

23. Kos1

Kos1 New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Copenhagen
    Denmark will clash against arch rivals from Sweden and Spain - ouch! The group (F): Sweden, Spain, Letland, Iceland, Northern Ireland and Denmark.

24. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Why some of those teams are ranked ahead of Sweden are beyond me, especially considering that Sweden has qualified for the past four major tournaments and managed to get out of the group stages in three of those four tournaments. My guess is that third-side friendlies in the offseason doesn't help the ranking.

25. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Nils Liedholm and Kurt Hamrin are well deserved to be on that list, but I doubt Pelé knows who any of those two are.