Top 10 Players in the EPL

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by mler1019, May 21, 2010.

1. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol. Check out Fulham's DOMESTIC season last year.

(Also don't get the hype about Milner, but I seem to be alone on that one).

2. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    I guess you didn't watch much Villa or Fulham last season.

Both Milner and Murphy performed well beyond expectations.
    Give credit where its due rather than seleceting the best 10 players from the best performing teams.

3. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Not that Fabergas is better now than Vieira was, but Vieira had a much better team around him.
    Arsenal doesn't have a team comparable with Chelsea and Man Utd, you can't expect Cesc can't stop the tide against the best teams in Europe on his own, not even Vieira could do that.

4. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I live just down the road from Craven Cottage, and I tend to get to 8-10 Fulham matches a year, although not necessarily Premier League matches all of them. This is on top of the matches on the tele which I might watch too. I have seen plenty of Murphy this year. He was fine. His legs are clearly going and he often settles for the easy pass too much but otherwise fine. Not top 10 however. He is no better than similar players at similar clubs like Malbranque, Whelan, Dunn, or Ferguson. If he is so good, why is he never mentioned up there with the likes of Rooney, Torres, etc. Try to explain without using word unfashionable.

With regards to Milner, I saw virtually every game he played for Newcastle. Much like Murphy, I thought he was fine. He was a very good physical specimen who was a clean striker of a ball. I thought he was good on the wing, but he never had the cleverness to play in the middle when he drifted inside. I thought his first touch was far too poor for the hustle and bustle of a Premier League midfield and that he played with his head down. From what I have seen of him at Villa, which assuming you don't regularly go to Villa Park, is at least as much as you, not a lot has changed. I think the hype is because he is English and because he works hard (see Scott Parker, Alan Smith, Jamie O'Hara).

5. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Milner scored some goals and had a nice assists tally, but the strength of Villa came from their defense (3rd fewest conceded). If you want to take a player from Villa and stick them into the 'top 10' then it has to be Dunne. Not that Milner isn't a good player, but Villa struggled to score goals last season and he is a little bit vanilla to be an elite player. Ashley Young has the talent and flash but is wildly inconsistent... you combine the two then maybe you have a top 10 player:D

Murphy is so good that he managed to keep Fulham 'ticking over' to a 12th place finish:rolleyes:

6. LaWolf

LaWolf New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Milner has improved massively since leaving Newcastle.. had a great season and he was one of the guys I was considering to put into my top 10.. but as the thread was 'Top 10 players in the EPL'.. I don't think he quite makes it yet.

7. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    I think your missing the premise of the thread and my point.
    This is presumed to be based on a players performance last season, not ability, if I was to create a top 10 based on ability then it would be completely different.

Both these players made their repective teams Fulham and Aston Villa tick last season, if you missed that then what were you watching?
    Milner being a revelation playing as a central midfielder.

James Milner won the PFA young player of the year award 2010 which must go someway to saying he had a good season, don't you think?

Danny Murphy you say passes sideways, so does Xavi whats your point? What Murphy does very well is keep possession, he's a very clever and tactically astute player, who was probably fulham's player of the season.

If i'd have picked Torres nobody would have had a problem but there is no way he performed better last season than Milner.

8. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Defending is a team job, Milner played a pivotal part in breaking up attacks last season in a central role.

And a Europa cup final with a team full of average EPL players. He played above his standing and that, in English, equals a top performance.

If you want to have a top 10 players in the EPL based on ability then Gerrard and Torres should be in everybodys, but on performances they will be nowhere near it.

9. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're acting like someone is saying Milner and Murphy aren't good players. I've admired Danny Murphy for some time, he's done a great job everywhere he's been since leaving Liverpool (well he didn't play much as Spurs tbh)... but putting him in the top 10 Premier League players is a joke. Really, he had a better 08/09 campaign than 09/10.

Milner may just get in based on a season of constantly solid form, but he's not a special player IMO (which is all I was commenting on).

10. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    I'll concede, Murphy is probably not a good choice to put in a top 10.
    But there is no doubt Milner was one of the best players in the EPL last season.

11. AirSlex

AirSlex New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Queensland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Torres
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Schwarzer
    Dunne
    Cole A
    Hart
    Malouda
    Lennon (dreadful World Cup though - Fabio?) :D
    Lampard

12. Red-Devil

Red-Devil New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Top ten Prem players this year in my opinion:

Wayne Rooney
    Darren Fletcher
    Darren Bent ( Should've been in the England squad)
    Didier Drogba
    Fernando Torres
    Mark Schwarzer
    Cesc Fabregas
    Bobby Zamora (Vital part of Fulham's ascension in the Europa league)
    Patrice Evra

13. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So one player from the the double winners while Darren Fletcher is included along with two players from the 12th place? Lol...

14. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Errr, Frosty, you say Torres didn't perform as well as Milner......18 goals in some 22 games isn't good enough? What are you on about?

15. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    As a Liverpool fan I watched Torres all season and unlike you I understand that statistics don't equal performances.
    Also unlike you I base my opinions on what I see, rather than what I read.

While Torres had a good season it was plagued with injury and average performances, it was nowhere near as impressive as Milner's season.

I guess he's ranking his choices on individual player perfomances rather than team performances. Don't quote me on it but isn't that what your supposed to do.
    I know your fave team is Chelsea and you'd love to see 10 Chelsea players up there, but unfortunately for your pride, he has taken a unbiased view, deal with it. :)

Choosing Fletcher even though he is a Manc is one player I would agree with. You have to accept that there are some 20+ players that can be selected in these lists without argument.

16. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :rolleyes:

Frank Lampard scored 22 goals and had 17 assists from midfield and he didn't make the kid's top 10.

"Unbaised view" are you feckin kidding me... Club: Manchester United FC:rolleyes: Not to mention he could only name 9 players in his supposes top 10 list.

Not sure if you are a wind-up merchant or just a complete idiot.

17. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Nevermind, im quite sure your just a deluded fanbois, whose opinion only focuses on how great you think Chelsea players are, worthless point scoring for your own selfpride.

Like I said in the quoted part of your post, there could be well over 20 players in this top 10 to choose from, so nitpicking who shouldn't be in it and who should is pathetic playground 'mines better than yours' BS. But carry on by all means.

18. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Isn't the point of this thread (and message boards like BigSoccer in general) to display, critique and defend ideas related to football? If you want to hide behind "bawwwww my mommy said people are entitled to hold whatever asinine opinions they can conjure up" in order to defend ridiculous statements, then what's the point of discussing anything if no one's beliefs can be questioned?

Saying Mark Schwarzer and Bobby Zamora are among the top 10 Premier League players while Frank Lampard isn't is, frankly, outrageous, regardless of who plays for what club.

Reducing an argument down to calling someone a "deluded fanbois" is pathetic playground BS. But carry on by all means.

19. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Your the typical forum goon who likes to call others names but when the boots on the other foot crys about it. And who also can only accept one opinion, his own and will carry on his pointless argument even though it has no end.

This thread isn't designed for you to disagree with everthing anybody says different to your opinion and chosen 10, its to let others have their say on what they think is a top 10. There happens to be a lot of players who performed fantastically last season as there always is, to narrow it down to a single select 10 is trying to be too anal and impossible.

If someone chooses Zamora over Lampard then only an absolute fanboy would declare this an outrage as both players had equally impressive seasons performance wise.
    It doesn't take a genius and a neg rep to work that out.

And whats with a neg rep anyway do you actually believe that I think your enjoying my posts? No need to waste your time neg repping me I can pretty much guess you don't like seeing what im writing. Or is it an anger reflex thing? Feeling better now I hope.

If someone comes on here and declares that Lucas is in the top 10 then i'd be more than happy to agree with your disagreement but you disagree for the simple reason a Utd fan chose 2 players from Utd who had outstanding seasons to your beloved Chelsea only having one in his selection.
    BooHoo.

20. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This would be a very boring thread if it was only one person's lists after the other. The whole point of forums isn't to see others opinions, you could read a blog or newspaper articles for that, but to have a discussion about them. And a lot of the time, especially with your farcical list, that involves disagreements leading to arguments.

Complete and utter delusion.

21. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I actually rarely use rep, either positive or negative. I reserve for when people truly deserve it:)

Lampard scored more goals in the league than Zamora did in all competitions.

By the way, look up the difference between "your" and "you're" before you post again.

22. SportsGuru2010

SportsGuru2010 New Member

May 17, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I am in favor of ugen64’s list of players from the perspectives of soccer update or football update and I count myself as the 10th player … lolx

23. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Pointing out grammatical errors (the difference between saying 'you are' and rushing a sentence) is a sign of desperation.

The point is and still remains that you try and rule over that chaps post and 'LOL' at it over a love of Chelsea players rather than a footballing perspective. Both Lampard and Fletcher had impressive seasons to say that one of those is more worthy than the other by scorn and humiliating is just playing daft. If you disagree try a more mature response instead of claiming its wrong and laughing like an all knowing fool.

Simply put you can't stand the fact that there were more Utd players in his choice than Chelsea players.
    This is a totally unnecessary and pathetic reason for debate and not what I would call worthy of creating an interesting debate. Just a poor attempt from a Chelsea fan to blow the trumpet of his teams players over other teams players without any real basis other than an armchair fan notion that stats govern all.

24. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Tell me then, what would have been an equally impressive season performance for Zamora with Lampard's last season, how could he have made it better?
    Say winning the League to make my day. :rolleyes:

This is what a mature debate is, not blowing your trumpet and claiming anyone with a differnet opinion is laughably wrong.

25. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    - Making an attempt at making up the 14 goal difference between the two players would be a good start.
    - Not finishing 5 places lower than the previous season (with an almost identical team) would also help.
    - Going some way to close the difference of 11 assists between the two players would further strengthen Zamora's case.
    - Topping Opta's Player Performance Index forcing Lampard into 2nd.
    - Improving his touch, passing, intelligence, finishing, shooting and consistency so it is somewhere near Lampard's would be great.

( I am aware this sounds condescending, but that's because it is. I still can't believe you honestly think Zamora was better than Frank last year. I am sure if you asked 100 people, precisely 100 would disagree with you. Have you found anyone who shares your view.)

1 person likes this.