Top 10 List/ Where are they now/ trivia (El Salvador football)

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by BKR inC, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    #1 BKR inC, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Heres a thread on my personal opinion on my top list of Salvadoran players, teams, statistics, trivia and where are they now, either posted by me or any journalist online.
    Feel free to add your opinion.

So to get things started here's my Top 10 Salvadoran footballers who never played at a World cup

10. Miguel Cruz
    upload_2017-11-5_19-18-33.png

Cruz was one of the earliest stars of El Salvador national team, he won the 1943 CCF Championship and went on the play in Chile for Universidad. Sadly El Salvador did not enter qualification for the world cup until 1970 world cup, by then he was long retired.

9. Eliseo Quintanilla
    upload_2017-11-5_19-25-7.jpeg
    Quintanilla considered the last true number 10 El Salvador had, He is on the list due to the skill and talent had. Quintanilla made his debut for the national team in 2000, sadly his tenure with the national team coincided with the worst period of El Salvador Football, Along with his problem with alcohol caused him to only hit his peak very late in his career where El Salvador made a shock run towards qualification. He retired in 2012.
    8. Félix Pineda
    upload_2017-11-5_19-18-33.png

A combination of remaining loyal to his beloved Aguila and playing in a generation of great Salvadoran Midfielders probably cost Pineda his chance to feature at a World Cup. El Salvador failed to qualify in 1974 and 1978 world cup but Pineda’s best chance was probably in 1982. However the likes of Norberto Huezo, Mauricio Alfaro and Silvio Aquino made sure Pineda was overlooked

7. Vladan Vicevic
    upload_2017-11-5_20-17-16.jpeg

Born in Yugoslavia (in what is now Serbia), He was brought in to the El Salvador setup by serbian coach Milovn Doric he developed a strong partnership with another player on this list Leonel Carcamo. Renowned for his aerial strength and strong defence, he became a cult hero and almost helped El Salvador reach qualification to the 1998 world Cup. He only represented El Salvador 20 times and soon refused any further call up due to his anger at the federation for sacking coach Doric.

6. Raul Garcia

[​IMG]

Garcia was Aguila goalkeeper during the 90s. He picked up one league trophies during that time.He appeared for El Salvador 37 times. He played a big part in the teams near qualifications in 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cup
    5. Carlos Castro Borja
    [​IMG]

Castro Borja was one of Atletico Marte's greatest midfielders ever and played for the team during the late '80s and early 90's. He appeared for the El Salvador team 57 times and scored six goals but was never able to appear in world cup competition.

4. Leonel Carcamo
    upload_2017-11-5_20-6-58.jpeg
    Carcamo could probably be regarded as one of El Salvador's defenders.
    Carcamo's time in El Salvador with Firpo brought great success as he was part of Firpo defences that picked up seven domestic titles.
    There was no such success with the El Salvador national team—despite 84 appearances, the most in his nation history.

3. Raul Arce Diaz
    [​IMG]
    Diaz Arce is a Salvadoran legend and deservedly so. He started his career in El Salvador, and moved to the united states becoming a big star, and paved the way for many Salvadorans players in today's game to try to ply their trade in the MLS.
    He is on top of El Salvador's goalscoring charts with 39 goals coming from just 68 appearances. He played a big part in the teams near qualifications in 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cup

2. Mauricio Cienfuegos

[​IMG]

Cienfuegos made 68 appearances for El Salvador over a 16-year span but was still unable to make it to the World Cup. He was the captain for his nation during most of his career and almost led them to the 1998 World Cup finals. They ended up just four points away from being able to enter. Regarded as one of the nation's finest products, Cienfuegos started his career at Firpo but made his name in one of Los Angeles Galaxy's best sides ..

1. Juan Francisco Barraza
    [​IMG]
    Barraza is a legend for Aguila both as player and Manager. He made his name for himself at Dragon before attracting Aguila, where he won internal and domestic titles.
    His technical and skills attracted attention of Brazilian team Sao Paolo, however his loyalty was strong, he turned down their offer to stay.
    He helped El Salvador qualify for the world cup in 1970, He also helped them win gold at the 1954 Central America and Carribean games.
    sadly he broke his leg and missed out playing in the tournament. He sadly passed away in 1997 due to heart problems.

2. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I guess Ronald Cerritos didn’t make your top 10 list.

I feel like, when he retires, Fito Zelaya would be worthy of a top 10 spot. Fact is that he matches Magico as second highest goalscorer for ES, which he most likely overtake, and he has made a great contribution to the NT even after serving a lengthy ban. This year alone shows he has righted his wrongs, and that we’d be worse off without him.

3. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    #3 BKR inC, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    there was a few players i wanted to add, reason i did not choose cerritos is his contribution to national team was not as profound as his club career. where all the players had a major impact for the national team.
    It was hard narrowing it down I mean players like Luis Regaldo, Armando Chacon, Jorge Zarco Rodriguez, alfredo pacheco, misael alfaro and conrado miranda. thats why i like making these list because it gets people to think

4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I’m not so sure if I’d deem him worthy of a top 10 spot, due to his match-fixing. It’s for that same reason your inclusion of Cheyo raised my eyebrows, though admittedly I forgot how involved he was during the scandal. I know his involvement wasn’t as severe as Pacheco’s.

He didn’t get a lifetime ban but, unlike Fito, he was never able to recover.

5. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    That why he was not added but he was one of the most consistent defenders during 2000's (in the dark times).

6. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Recent discussion on the disappointment of most of the 2013 under 20 world cup, not reaching the level most of us, had hopeful, this got me thinking what are some of the top 5 promising youth players that flopped.
    I ruled out most of 2013 players since i like to give players around 6-7 years before i call them flops (ruled other such things such a players death- Nelson Rivera, having a decent career - Andres Flores and Lester Blanco)

7. Dennis Salinas
    upload_2017-11-7_20-6-48.jpeg
    Keeper Dennis Salinas was the great hope after several keepers had been tried out to get the number one spot, his youth and consistency eventual got him a call up to the national team. His debut game went well, however his second was a disaster he let in 3 goals and was replaced at the 35 minutes since then his confidence took a major hit and he has struggled tomaintain first team. althoug the last 2 years he is slowly rebuilding shattered image.

6. Ricardo Orellana
    [​IMG]
    Orellana was one of the big six players signed from the under 17 side, his skill was on show and people were stating that he would be a major star. sadly although he has been a consisntent player, he never lived up of the lofty expectation of him. However there is still time to prove me wrong

5. Fabricio Alfaro
    [​IMG]
    One of the three player on the list that can still prove me wrong, This player had so much promise from his udner 17 days where he was snapped up with six other players by San salvador FC. He was getting regular time, however he was traded to Chalatenango where he had a subdue time, after this is when his stock risen when he signed for herediano, He was playing regularly for the reserve side, however he couldn't get in the first team and eventually left. Which would be a major point of his career he would struggle to secure first team action , and even if he does would soon lose after the team go reegated.

4. Cesar Larios
    [​IMG]
    The first of long line of strikers promising to fill the Raul Diaz Arce heir, sadly despite having a strong early career with FAS, after leaving he struggled to find regular apperance, though everytime he played for smaller clubs he tended to get more time and more goals. However by then he stock had hit low that he was overlooked and soon forgotten, he is currently plowing his trade in the second division.

3, Shawn Martin
    [​IMG]
    Shawn Martin has probably achieved the most on this list, playing regular football and looked like he was going to hit his peak. but injuries and a lack of motivation eventually derailed his career. In his prime they were stating he was one of the best right midfielders in el salvador.

2. Josue Galdamez
    [​IMG]
    One of the stars of the 2002 Central America and Carribean games gold winning team, his leadership and skills was hailed throughout the tournament. And talks were saying he was the heir to Mauricio Cienfuegos positions. However after he left Municipal Limeno, things went down hill he joined Aguila which followed with Chalatenango, Limeno and Atletico Balboa. however he neevr held down a spot soonhe was playing in the second division. he made brief appearnce for Firpo and Pasaquina. But since then have been mostly inactive, and likely to have retired.

1. Diego Mejia

[​IMG]

Similar to Josue Galdamez he was part of the successful 2002 central american games squad, he become a rising star at Alianza and even got a move to Motagua where he went ok but was nothing special especially for a big club. after that came the giant slide he played for Once Municipal and San Salvador FC . this was followed by a move to a third division Conras of Juarez and Southern California Seahawks in the PDL. He retired in 2008.
    He finished his career with 19 caps and three goals. He did not go on to reach the heights that were predicted and left the striker gap left by Raul Diaz Arce and only somewhat filled in by Rodolfo Zelaya.

7. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    For me, easily Cristian Bustillo and Ruben Siguenza; who were both a part of the Sevilla academy back in 2009-ish. Furthermore, there were a number of other juniors in the academies of Sevilla, Cadiz, Pachuca, Argentina and MLS back then who just disappeared without a trace. Exceptions are Ruso Flores (River Plate), Jaime Alas (River Plate) and José Pena (Sevilla).

I consider Dustin Corea a flop too. His career is nowhere near the level we had all expected of him, back when he was an USA U-17 junior who trialled with several European clubs.

8. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    How on earth did I forget about Cristian Bustillo and Ruben Siguenza, those two epitomise the modern flop, the others I think off never reached the level those two had. I think most people were scared to get as excited because those were such a massive flop.
    Ruben Siguenza is currently playing in the fifth division/ regional elague of italian football at Vigevano Calcio.
    Chrustian Bustillo last played for Aguila in 2015 and has not been heard since.

Dustin Corea is hard he still shows the talent I feel like he just need one stand out season - like Lestor Blanco had for Santa Tecla or Rafael Burgos had for Petapa to go on.

La Trucha repped this.
  9. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    After all, they disappeared off the face of the earth. I remember 16 year old Trucha talking them up like they were the next best things for Selecta. Boy, was I wrong.

So he’s back with them now huh. Prior to giving up on the Siguenza brothers back in 2015, Ruben was with AS Robbio. I don’t know where his younger brother Rene is, if he is still playing football at all.

10. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Well they were the great hope sadly like a lot of young stars, they often fizzle out

11. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Turin FESA was founded 17 years ago; so I thought it would be appropriate to look at their top players to come out of the system

10. Kevin Ayala
    [​IMG]
    Ayala was incredibly exciting for Turin FESA but was snapped up at a very young age and is a two time primera division titles – He’s now plying his trade with Santa Tecla and participated in Under 20 world cup with El Salvador in 2013.

Jairo Henriquez
    [​IMG]

Henriquez was a bit of a sensation for Turin FESA and El Salvador youth team and it’s no surprise that he moved to mexico with Tlaxcala FC. His pace has always been exciting.
    He’s an Salvadoran international and is playing his football at the FAS.

7. Ivan Manica
    [​IMG]
    Mancia has been an important mmber of each tema he has been on, he shielded the Santa Tecla defense since breaking into the senior team in 2011.
    Renowned for his hard-tackling style, the 28-year-old is also a masterful passer of the ball and already has three league titles
    He currently plying his trade with Alianza.

7. Jose Angel Pena
    [​IMG]
    Pena name will always be linked with his goal that helped el salvador win their first game at a world cup, although his career in mexico did not work out. He has been a regular with Metapan in the primera division.

6. Edwin Sanchez
    [​IMG]
    Sanchez has had a strong career since leaving Turin FESA, despite two teams he has played for been relegated he was always the standout player, in which he often got called up to the national team.

5. Roberto Carlos Domínguez
    [​IMG]
    It speaks volumes about Turin FESA and its previous talents when this man is at number four.
    He’s Santa Tecla’s starting centre-back and is a first choice for El Salvador. He was linked with a move to colombia . Say no more.

4. Giovannia Zavaleta
    [​IMG]
    Zavaleta has been a sensation since making a debut for Turin FESA, he has become a mainstay in both the national team and Santa Tecla. He has been linked with football in Uruguay.

3. Kevin Santamaria
    upload_2017-11-11_0-57-19.jpeg
    SantaMaria has had a strong career since making his debut with Turin FESA, he has been a regular in Guatemala league, even a year ban with no football due to testing positive for a banned substance, he was offered contracts by several clubs in Guatemala anad El Salvador. It speaks of this player consistency.

2. Dennis Pineda
    [​IMG]
    Pineda A playmaker who can operate both in the centre of the park and to the left of the attack, the 21-year-old has been integral to both his portugese club Santa Clara and the El Salvador national football team.

1. Alexander Larin
    [​IMG]

He’s still only 25 years old, but already Alexander Larin has won two titles in Mexico and Costa Rica
    He’s Alianza’s starting player and is always a first choice for El Salvador.
    He is always linked with away a move with El Salvador it speaks of his consistency,

Willsant87, La Trucha and slaminsams repped this.
  12. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia

Sad news, number 6 player on the list, Raul “Superman” Garcia lost his battle with cancer and joins the rest of the greats we have lost
    External link: https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Fallecio-Raul-Pichi-Garcia-20180111-0008.html

Willsant87 and slaminsams repped this.
  13. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    In the news lately is the deals that have fallen through, a prime example is Rodolfo Zelayarecent deal with a Saudi Arabian.
    So I have decided to make a list of players that were primed for a move abroad, but for whatever reason fell through.
    This was a tough list to come up with, as every few months a new rumor of a player moving abroad comes up.
    So as a rule I Have decided to set some guidelines: Have to be confirmed by a few sources, would have to be playing outside of El Salvador, preferably at a higher level, and would only include players playing in the main team (so no youth teams like udner 20s, however reserve team can be included as they often mixed with fringe first comers).

7. Henry Hernandez to Naft Tehran (Iran) -2017

Early last year, Henry Hernandez trialled and was in the preliminary squad for Iranian first division club. However poor showings in preliminary games meant he was wavered. He went through the next six months without a club,

Chances if he had stayed: Hernandez has always been up and down keeper could have a blinder like he did against spain, but often had shockers), felt like if he had signed he would have played 1 or 2 games and been released early one.

6. Deris Umanzor – Toronto FC (Canada) -2010

In 2010, Deris Umanzor was all set to join Toronto FC, however just as he was going to sign the contract, Toronto signed a new player in the position Umanzar was to play. Umanzor and his agent confirmed this story. Fortunately he went to play for chicago fire, a few months later.

Chances if he had stayed: Umanzor time in Toronto would have mirrored his time at Chicago, he was good but the MLS style did not fit his style. He would left after a few months to return to play for Aguila

5. Rafael Zelaya – to Al Raed (Saudi Arabia) - 2018

The story that peeked interest in the topic, Zelaya was all but announced to play in Al Raed, by journalist, the club and Zelaya agent. However, Alianza hijacked the deal refusing to let him and starting a legal case.

Chances if he had stayed: Zelaya would have earned a hefty pay check and would have been a success, his skills and strike rate is such a gift, he would transferred wonderfully to the league and would likely been signed to a long term contract.

4. Carlos Monteagudo and Manuel Salazar – Monterrey 1era (Mexico) -2008

Back in 2008, Monteagudo and Salazar were young hopeful part of firpo unstoppable team. Their success peaked the interest of mexican coach Gerardo Jiménez to play for Monterrey 1er, who wa simpressed by their skills and work ethic. confirmation of him trying to bring them on a loan deal. but the deal fell through. Salazar retired at a young age due to knee injury, while Monetagudo was banned for match fixing and was last seen playing for Dragon.

Chances if they had stayed: I think regardless of whether they played through the entire season, the experience they would have gained would have benefitted them, especially for their young age. This just basing on what occured with Pineda, Henriquez and Pena.

3. Juan Jose Gomez – to Moldova in 2011

At the time, Juan Jose Gomez was 31 years old , he was afforded the opportunity to play in Moldova first division. At this stage he had gone down the pecking order for the national team - he was behind montes and portillo as first choice keeper.
    He was given permission by the president of Aguila Julio Sosa, however just prior to leaving to sign the contract, the legal representative Vicent vasquez refused. soon afterwards he would leave to join firpo.

Chances if he had stayed: personally I think this would have been a great experience and might have given his career a second boost.

2. Juan Barraza – Sao Paulo

Following a great performance for Aguila against Sao Paulo, Sao paulo offered Barraza a contract to play for them. However, he turned them down as his loyalty to Aguila was to strong and he did not wanna relocate is family.

Chances if he had stayed: If Barraza had left he would have given it all, his skill on the ball was unmatched and might have been one of latin america early superstars.

1. Magico Gonzalez- to Barcelona

Gonzales was afforded the opportunity to tour with Barcelona and his performance for both cadiz and positive word from Maradonna got him a contract with them. Sadly, Gonzales enjoyed the party life too much and kept breaking the rules set by the club. Eventually Barcelona had enough and discontinued his contract.

Chances if he had stayed: Oh what could have been, during the tour you could see he and Maradonna had great chemistry, with the right coach his status would have grown to the point, he would have been considered one of the greats. I think if he played like he did for Cadiz for Barcelona he would have reached the level of Hugo Sanchez achieved for Real Madrid. But cannot say his career was to bad, he left such a mark they want to change the Cadiz stadium to his name and most fans considered him the club greatest player.

14. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't forget Junior Burgos' whole career. Had opportunities in Colombia, Chile and Germany but all of these deals fell through for whatever reasons.

Arturo Alvarez to Bordeaux, plus all those European trials Dustin Corea had while as a junior.

Hugo Perez to Ajax (if you want to include him too).

As for Magico Gonzalez to Barcelona; one could only imagine what could've been. IIRC he also sought after by several Italian clubs.

15. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Junior Burgos was a massive disappointment the amount of clubs he should have moved too

16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just like every other youth player I had high hopes for; all of them either disappeared or ended up having mediocre careers.

Moral: playing abroad for well known clubs as a youth player =/= destined for greatness.

17. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    After seeing Nelson Bonilla move to Sukhothai in Thailand got me thinking, worst transfer move to El Salvador.
    Take into considerations how their career progressed, where they were playing and where they eventually moved too.
    Some career Moves were hard to judge like Arturo Alvares from portugal to MLS as age was becoming a factor, or like players playing in Europe moving back to el salvador.

Derby Carillo to Atlanta Silevrbacks
    Carrillo is a talented keeper and after moving to El Salvador it looked like he was becoming certain number one for El Salvador, however he went to Atlanta thinking it would improve his career, It didn't, he had a shocking time, letting in some farcical goal and he went from starter to bench warmer, he lost his number one spot in El Salvador.
    Fortunately Santa Tecla took him and he managed to rebuild his shattered image.and is now playing first division football in Iceland.

Andres Flores to New York Cosmos
    Flores although he has been successful with the club, It would be considered a failure as the club has no hope for promotion, the division is likely to fold and as a footballer he has remained stagnated. He went from El salavdor brightest talents to now a player constantly question why his selected for the national team.

Rafael Burgos to Minnesota
    Burgos ahs to be the poster child of bad transfer move, he went for playing and scoring regular goals in Hungary first division to second division of USA, it was unmitigating disaster, he went from El Salvador best strikers to suffering gpal drought at two seperate clubs. Evenetually he would return to el slavador soccer and hopefully he can go back to the days of Hungary.

Gerson Mayen to Los Angeles Missionarios
    The lower division of united states must have inappropriate picture of agents, because it continues to baffle why they keep going there. Mayen was another case, He joined Missionarios after being released by Chivas, and it looked like he would go backwards. Fortunately Santa Tecla took a punt and now he has matured to a strong player, who recently returned playing football in Mexico second division.

Jaime Alas to San Jose Earthquakes

Alas needed to leave Rosenberg he wasn't getting playing time and wanted to progress, however the choice to go San Jose Earthquakes was an odd one. The club had several key players already in the position he normally plays, so they played him out of position, which exposed him several times. Eventually he decided to leave, whichw as teh samrtest thing as Erathquakes weren't suited for him and he just seemed lost out there.

Steve Purdy to Chivas

This was tough to put on the list, as on paper and in general it was looking like a good move. This on the list because following a very bad clash, he missed an entire season of football and is playing fourth division soccer. He went from a main starter in a top squad to struggle getting game team. Its a sad fall from grace.

Dennis Alas to Real Monarchs

He was in the successful Firpo team, he stated he would only leave for a top team. Which made it weird when he joined third division side Real Monarchs.
    He played very few games and eventually he left. meaning the whole outing was a massive waste of time.

Christian Castillo to Suphanburi
    Hopefully Bonilla move to Thailand will not end up the same way as Castillo did. It was a shock move especially since he was rumoured to trial in mexico and south america. He played a few games before releasing the lifestyle and football was not as good as he expected.

Do You agree? any other players you believe I should have added

18. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Lester Blanco finally made his debut for Deportivo Loja, with this he marked a short list of Salvadoran to have played in South America top two divisions. Here are my top 8 players to have played in South America

I tried to make my list to include players who went on to play in south america after being naturalised Salvadoran, thsoe who played in the top league before naturalised were put in the Honorable mentions.

Honourable Mentions
    Alberto Fay (Uruguayan naturalised Salvadoran) played for Penarol, Nidelson (Brazilian naturalised Salvadoran) played for , Adrián La Cruz (Uruguayan naturalised Salvadoran) played for Sud America in Uruguay, Marcelo Messaias (Brazilian naturalised Salvadoran) played for Gremio in Brazil.Elder Figueroa (Colombian naturalised Salvadoran) played for Real Cartagena in Colombia.

8) Junior Burgos played for Jaguares de Córdoba in Colombia. He time there was unhappy one, he only played two games and left after the club failed to pay him on time.

[​IMG]

7) Israel Castro Franco (Brazilian naturalised Salvadoran) played for Atlético Juventus in Brazil first Division. He spent one season there and was a valuable member of the team before leaving to go play in portugal.

upload_2018-3-27_16-44-38.png

6) Roberto Bundio played for deportivo Armenia in the Argentinian second division. He was the son of Gregrio Bundio the coach that helped us qualify to our first world cup.
    However, limited information on how many games he played.
    [​IMG]

5) Marcelo Tejeada Atlética Potencia
    Despite being contracted with CA Cerro, Liverpool and Fenix. He only made his debut for Atletica Potencia. However he was used sparingly and he left to get a regular spot.

4) Cristian Esnal (Wanderers, River plater, Rentistas). Esnal manage to play in all three clubs mentioned above. Sadly he could not secure a spot and was used as sub or back up.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    3) Ricardo Diaz Bach (Chile - Universidad de Concepción 1962-1964 and C.D. Huachipato 1965) he went on to be third player to play in chile. He was a regular for both side, however he did not have the same impact as Chacon or Cruz

2) Armando Chacón (Chile - Universidad de Catholica) was one of the first player along with Cruz, who played abroad he was there for 5 years and was a constant in the starting line up

1) Miguel Cruz (Chile - Universidad de Catholica) same as above except played one year extra. that was the only reason i seperated.

19. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Sine Jorge Zarco Rodriguez has resigned as coach of the nationtal team, I thought a unique list would be coaches who despite being succesful in the league has never coached the national team. Now I am not supporting appointment of any of these coaches as the national team coach, just stating how interesting that domestic success doesn't always equate to getting top job. I will mention their success and when it would been best to hire them.

Edwin Portillo - [Domestic success: seven titles with Metapan]
    [​IMG]
    Best Period to hire him: 2013-2014
    Despite having seven titles, he struggled in international competition, only progressing to the quarter finals once. However, these results are hard to gauge as it later emerged some of the players had been match fixing. But since watching is career afterwards, he has struggle when he is not coaching Metapan.

Hugo Coria - Argetinine (Success:2 titles with Aguila)
    upload_2018-5-24_22-8-39.jpeg

Best Period to hire him: 2005-2006, During that period El Salvador coahcing standard was quite bad and we failed to qualify to the gold cup and were humilated by guatemala and Panama. He would have been interesting and who knowsit could have worked, i mean the guy that was hired in 2006 was a mexican who had finished runner up and lead El salvador to the Hex.

Juan Masnik - Uruguayan (Success 1 domestic title with Firpo, 1 domestic title with Alianza, 1 international title with alianza which is the last title with an salvadoran)
    upload_2018-5-24_22-6-22.jpeg
    Best Period to hire him: 2000-2001, he would have been perfect coach to hire during that period certainly better than Marinho Perez. playing group would have been a mix of experience and youth , he would had led the transition better.

José Eugenio Castro (Success: won 2 domestic titles with FAS, won one intertnation title with FAS)
    upload_2018-5-24_22-3-48.jpeg
    Best Period to hire him: 1983-1986, during this period the national team went through various coaches, he would been something interesting to test out especially since he had coached the quality of players such as Norberto Huezo, Magico Gonzales and avrious others.

Victor Manuel Ochoa (Success won 2 titles for FAS, 2 titles for Aguila)
    [​IMG]
    Best Period to hire him: 1972-1973, although a good coach, the coaches they had at the time were quite good and I am not sure he could have had different results.

Ernesto Corti Argentinian (Success won 2 titles with santa Tecla)
    [​IMG]
    Best Period to hire him: 2018- , since he is currently an assistant coach, but showed he can coach and develop new talent. but I would doubt he would take it as he had financial support and time, which FESFUT are not known off.

20. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I had some time this morning and with Arturo Alvarez retiring it made me think of other players I thought would go on to be something special but for one reason or another didn’t in my time on this site.

The list is pretty long now but one I want to highlight today is Marvin Iraheta.

He played for the Cosmos when they played Manchester United back in 2011.

In 2012 he signed for the now defunct MLS side Chivas USA. He also played for Alianza for a very brief period.

According to his LinkedIn he is a dental assistant in Colorado.

It would be interesting if selecta talent went through his site and contacted all the players he used to highlight. Some seemed really promising. I could be wrong but it seems with the exception of guys like Joe Benny Corona who was basically already pro when he mentioned him and Dustin Corea who I would consider a flop but did at least have some positive contributions on the national team everyone else where all flops. Most never made it even semi pro. The same is true for the college kids we used to track on here. It really is a hard sport to find your way in to.

21. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I thought about the college players we kept track of, including those that got called up to ES U-20’s, and I reckon for most them soccer is just a co-curricular activity they do while they study in college. They were never intending to pursue a professional soccer career hence why we never hear from most of them after they graduate. There’s only a few exceptions where a professional career occurred such as Richard Menjivar, Edgardo Mira (also a product of FESA), Irving Herrera, Junior Burgos and Pablo Punyed.

That’s just my theory. I’m happy for Iraheta btw. He’s got his post-soccer career figured out :)

22. WhyMe

WhyMe Member

Nov 7, 2015
    NYC
    #23 WhyMe, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    I'm pretty sure Marvin Iraheta ended up playing for another country instead of waiting.

Pablo's brother, Rebato Punyed did the same thing and was capped by Nicaragua few days ago vs Bolivia.

EDIT: It wasn't Iraheta it was some other guy from Canada.

23. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Maycoll Canizalez-Smith who represented Canada? Haven’t heard his name in a decade. Looks like he’s still in Germany playing football, but for a low-level club as he done his whole career (except for when he played for Toronto FC in 2007)

Time to rule out Renato Punyed then.

24. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    #25 slaminsams, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Others have been wondering the same thing. Here is a more in-depth where are they now. Hugo from selectatalent has also put up some tweets on guys recently

Basically no saviors coming from the expats or their kids anytime soon