Tobin Season ending injury

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by GIRLS CAN PLAY, May 31, 2010.

1. GIRLS CAN PLAY

GIRLS CAN PLAY New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    How will this affect Atlanta picking up free agents from St Louis.Will this free up a roster spot?

2. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Ugh. When it rains, it pours. I think this does open up a roster spot for a replacement. It makes it easier to say the team needs to pick up one of the Athletica midfielders but honestly, we need one of everything at the moment. Money talks I suppose, so I hope we've got enough of it to lure a few ex-Saint Louis players over.

3. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Girls, where did you get info that Tobin's injury is season ending? The last official info was that her injury would have a 4-6 week recovery. Have you heard otherwise?

4. GIRLS CAN PLAY

GIRLS CAN PLAY New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    WPS page, under the news link.

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    It's on the WPS Transaction Page.

6. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh man... that'd explain the comment on the other thread about her being back in a boot. wonder if she ended up doing more than they thought to it? or if she did re-injure it. this'll bring out all the "all hype, no good" critics...

she's still my fave. period. i've talked to her a couple times, the girl is amazing-- and super optimistic. this really, really sucks for her, and for the Beat.

7. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read the Marietta Daily Journal article & it does look like they moved Heath to the season-ending status in order to pick up a St. Louis player. I hope that Heath will be back in full force next year, though. She will really be an asset to the Beat once she's back in good health.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This news is not good for Heath. At this point, I wonder how career threatening this ankle injury may be.

eta:

Do you have a link? Folks, we should give articles on WPS teams lots of page views to encourage continued coverage. Posting links helps w/ that :)

9. Three M

Three M New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the M D-J link. We've got to give the local media pageviews & comments for their coverage so they know people really do care & want to see coverage of the team. Otherwise they'll allocate the resources to other things. click through ads that appear on the page w/ ATL/WPS articles, too. Sounds silly but it really does matter/help.

11. sawatdee

sawatdee New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh - a friend of mine posted this update on his facebook page; I was looking forward to seeing Tobin in the midfield; but I'll be honest, at the matches I've seen, midfield has looked pretty solid with Zerboni, Yamaguchi, Kerr, Ocampo etc., a lot of good possession and a lot of shots - just hardly any goals!

I think making room for Aluko is good management. Of course bringin Solo is good management (and good marketing ;-)

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think (if done smartly & properly) the Beat could market the hell out of Ellertson & Aluko in ATL, too. Marketing players and turning that into ticket & sponsorship revenue is a tricky business, of course.

13. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh. word on tobin i got is that yes, she had surgery, apparently there was ligament damage. i guess better this year than next?... still sucks.

14. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is the beat's article on injuries and the upcoming game vs. chicago

Here's what Shawn McGee had to say about it

"Tobin has a season-ending ankle injury that requires surgery to repair some ligaments. We felt it important to make sure Tobin had this surgery now, instead of trying to make it to the end of the season, as we full expect Tobin to be a part of the next year’s US National Team World Cup squad. In addition, we know Tobin will be an impact player on this team and in this league, so we are looking at the long term rather than trying to just get Tobin through this season with a possibility of her reinjuring her ankle anytime. We wish her the best and can’t wait for her to get back on the field and at 100 percent."