To Poch or not to Poch, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    not unexpected no, and probably not entirely undeserved since he've well and truly lost the changing room, but the main blame lies with Levy's the piss poor handling of in-going transfers, and lack of willingness to accept transfer requests

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It appears the club's servers must have crashed as the statement won't load.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think there is equal blame to go around:

1. Levy: his failure to back the manager's transfer vision the last 2 summers has proven to be costly.

2. The players: with very few exceptions, they have been an absolute disgrace.

3. Poch himself: some poor team selections and tactics have helped lead to his demise, plus his decision to declare war on Vertonghen and Eriksen from the first game of the season blew up in his face.

A sad day for the club, but once again a manager who was on the road to bigger things has crashed on the rocks of the Isle of Levy.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I was watching the beginning of the Wales-Hungary qualifier when the announcer mentioned Ben Davies and said that he will be returning to his club team with a new manager as Mauricio Pochettino is out at Tottenham in breaking news!

Will this be one of those "where were you" moments?

5. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I'd add an 1a and 1b to that ... 1a) Failing to supply the needed 'lubricant' for in-going transfers strengthening the team, 1b) failing to accept Players' transfer requests and accept that it would happen, even without getting paid absolutely silly money from clubs that have a calendar and can count that if they play the waiting game, the player can/will walk in a year for £0... 1b is probably(?) caused by Bale going to Real for silly money that was up there for Madrid for most expensive flop

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unless we hire some big name manager, I don't see why anybody who's any good will want to stay. There won't be Champions League football next year, they can all make more elsewhere and now Poch is gone.

I'm not just talking about guys like Eriksen, Alderweireld and Aurier who we know want out. Players like Kane, Son, Lamela, Dele, Rose, Vertonghen, Sissoko, Winks and anybody who owes a debt of gratitude to Poch for elevating them should not hesitate to leave. In fact, if they were all on the phone with their agents, who can blame them?

Make no mistake, Levy's not making this move because he thinks this is a repair job. No, this is a rebuild. This is the end of an era and everybody needs to understand this.

Phillyspur repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It all depends on timing. If you are selling a player in the middle of his contract, you are going to get good money. If you wait till the last 18 months, it is advantage to the buying team. Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen can all sign for free with a European team as of January 1st.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I can’t outright criticize the decision, but I don’t see how this does anything to improve the team.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think the board came to the conclusion that the players had effectively downed tools, although I could see that as far back as the Colchester game.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    if the players put in any kind of effort on Saturday, that should cover it.

11. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    The tricky thing is that it's entirely plausible they downed tools against the board instead of the manager

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I just heard Poch mooted as Emery's replacement at Arsenal.

My blood ran cold.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think he will go to Real or Bayern. He can pick amongst the biggest clubs, why on earth would he toddle off to Woolwich?

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm not suggesting that he will - it was the purest of conjecture. That said, the answers to your question might include things like having a family and home in London, and that club's potential for improvement. Let's just hope that this parting of ways was as amicable as possible, because the perhaps the biggest reason that one might be inclined in that direction would be, in addition to those other considerations, giving the ultimate finger to Daniel Levy and THFC. I can't imagine he's that way, though, of course.

Again, there is nothing in this. I've heard nothing but one gooner's fantasies in this regard. There is no reason to think it might be in the cards. It's just one mortifyingly sobering thought, that's all.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If he clashed with Levy, think about what he would have to deal with with the Kroenkes. It would be pure madness on any level.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  17. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    BalanceUT and electrickeeper repped this.
  18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Written 3 long comments and deleted them. What a shitshow. And more of the same, for the foreseeable future.

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I sincerely don’t get Mourinho. He hasn’t managed a team where money was no object, spent hundreds of millions and still managed to mean about not being supported. Can’t wait until Levy decides not to spend money over two off-seasons again

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  21. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    whatever deity that rules such things ... ain't a Spurs fan

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mourinho will win you guys something. Unfortunately attractive style of play will be sacrificed

23. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    My concern is that his man-management is so abrasive that stuff will break much earlier than that

24. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He used to be a great man-manager prior his Madrid tenure. What if he’s gonna be back?