Tips for Defending against rough Offense

Discussion in 'Player' started by chookgoo86, Nov 27, 2015.

1. chookgoo86

chookgoo86 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 30+ years of playing (at various levels of competition), I've never run into a player quite like this. This is in a coed competitive adult indoor league. This particular individual is the other team's main forward. He is 5'7" and easily 200+ lbs. Super stocky build, with quick acceleration and one of the meanest shots at the indoor complex.

He plays like a running back. He'll get the ball, pick up speed; and without any moves, just dribble in a straight line for goal. The whole time, if anybody gets in his way, or attempts to kick the ball away from him or shield the ball off of him, he lowers his shoulder and literally bulldozes the defender over. We're talking defenders flying into the walls like a hockey check. HE NEVER GETS CALLED ON IT BY THE REF. And if by chance the defender does steal the ball, then gets laid out; he also gets the call in his favor.

Next time we play this guy, I'd really like to beat him. Any tips on dealing with this sort of play?

P.s. I realize it might be against the rules, but no ref has called it. Looking for actual ways on defending him.

Thanks!

Beosachs repped this.
  2. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Aim your sharp and pointys (elbows and knees) for his soft and squishies (belly, thigh, upper arm). Or just punch him in the nuts.

Does he have a dominant foot? Delay him on defense and try to get him on his weak foot.

Beosachs and loden repped this.
  3. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Agreed. He sounds like a real douche. The good news is that two can play this game. If he lowers his shoulder, you stick out your elbow at his stomach, get low and stand your ground. He will not be trying to steamroll you anymore. You have to remember that a bully is generally a p**sy.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Try to guard him from the back before he starts to run or as he getting the ball. Get him in the balls with your fist while his back to you.

Can't slide tackle indoors right to bad

You have the ball while not running. Then turn on him when he is close get him in the face or throat with your elbow don't extend them.

Going for a header and he has position on you. Go in with a forearm to the back of his then head the ball. Gio Saverese favorite move he never got a foul call doing it.

Best is after the game follow him to his car then put two in the back of his head and walk away.

5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Lots of players don't know the LOTG, but I figure you are not exaggerating.

Are women marking him and getting run over without a whistle? I find that very strange practice for a licensed referee. I was very large myself when I played competitively (205 lbs.) so I never had to deal with a situation like this (quite literally everyone who tried to run over me, bounced off--it usually happened early in the match and then the opponents stayed clear). But in the one outdoor coed competitive league I played in the referees would never have allowed reckless play regardless of who was the victim. I have a difficult time believing the referee is licensed.

Is it a privately owned facility so that there is a business manager you can question about the referee's qualifications and complain about the referees failure to protect the players safety? Businesses have insurance carriers. It is a safety issue and once warned, they need to act to avoid liability.

I can think of two "fair" approaches to the problem. One is get someone bigger and tougher than he is to mark him out of the game. The other is to have your smallest women player mark him and draw the foul, if it hasn't already been tried.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You go shoulder to shoulder and one player goes flying the official will call the foul.

7. Sarah ava

Sarah ava Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Xelaju Mario Camposeco
    You can take practice daily.

8. FCBayernDFB1613

Feb 1, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Speaking from my perspective, a professional central defender, I would make contact with him as soon as he is about to receive the ball. Keep him with his back to goal. Force him to have to turn you. If you're up his back, give him hell and keep him honest. Just what I would do. If you need some inspiration, here's a highlight video :)

love a good challenge haha

9. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    It is an archeology thread, but I will put my two cents' worth. As I am exploiting my physique often, especially in futsal, I can tell what worked against me. I played once against this guy who was a feet smaller than me, and much much lighter, but he was a defender in his club (not quite a stereotypical defender though). Despite the size difference he was completely shuting me down. He wasn't trying to stand in my way or anything like that, just runing next to me in the same direction. He was observing my moves and waited for the perfect moment of a running step phase, when he charged me with his shoulder. Somehow he was always able to do it right and push me of balance, even while not using that much force. It was like using my own mass against me. If you are not good at timing it, just follow him to the moment when he will lift his foot to shot. Charge him then, he will miss for sure.