Time to Fire Cassar

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Duiz, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Hope all is well Jessyca! :)

Sent from my rotary phone while using the bathroom.

2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will some of those guys (besides Javi) be leaving because they want to or because they are being forced?

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm trying to get over to the presser but I'm not sure I can. Hopefully someone from the boards can make it?

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and Boz repped this.
  5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This whole Javi thing feels like retribution.

More than likely from Cassar if you ask me. A guy who says he didn't lose the locker room but had guys tell him to ******** off to his face for subbing them out of a game.

There is a rift in this team and the GM and owner are backing the coach and not the players.

I bet that is what Cassar sold them on to keep him. "Hey, I did the best I could with these old guys but now we need to clean house. But this could take a few years."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

El-ahrairah and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    From reading it sounds like 3 years, but only first year guarantee. Contract is incentive-laden.
    From Javi's press conference it sounds like yes, but also looking at options abroad.

7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Heard from a guy today that the real reason Burrito left was Cassar.

8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this what we suspected all along?

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true, kudos to the guy for not airing dirty laundry when he left. Again, if true, the people who need to know it are very aware.

10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be shocked if this was NOT true. Didn't we hear 2-3 different reasons floating around that all seemed really unlikely?

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to qualify my statements with "IF". Partially because of what you posted and partially because it's hard to get a solid handle on what's happening internally at RSL these days.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    bump...
    Really, is there any disagreement here?

What I believe I'm seeing is the extremely slow progression of a novice coach. He has FINALLY learned that a system can help dictate play in certain areas of the field, so he has managed to get sufficient numbers back to protect the weak center D. That is literally the beginning point for most new coaches.

Where he has absolutely no clue is in the final 1/3. Frankly, I have never seen a team at the professional level that has LITERALLY no idea how to attack effectively. Whether it be pack back and counter, or possess and carve, or wide with quality crosses, this team has no discernible plan, or worse, is being instructed to choose the worse possible route. (Beltran and Wingert crossing to a single forward who isn't good in the air?? Possess in the final 1/3 with no dynamic movement hoping that somehow the other team loses their minds or someone hits a bomb?) A quality coach is able to evaluate his talent and choose the attacking system (and talent) that best creates goals while minimizing risk. Cassar has not proven to be a quality coach and his learning curve is simply too steep for a professional team at ANY level.

Cassar was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to get the chance of a lifetime for which he was woefully unprepared. To his credit, he has tried to improve. At this point, because he seems nice, I would allow him to coach my child up to, maybe, the U14 level. (Nope, I take that back. Skill development is vital at lower ages. I would allow him to coach HS soccer, because, well, because no-one cares.)

Before anyone feels sorry for him or feels bad for trying to have someone fired, please remember...no other team at the MLS level would have hired him as a head coach. He was over his head the moment he stepped into the position and he is still in over his head. The sooner RSL recognizes this, the better.

Sooooo...who is starting the Waibel-out thread? ;)

13. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    As a child of 1970's Saturday morning TV commercials, I know what you want here is impossible. Because....

"Waibels wobble but they don't fall down".

:p:D:ROFLMAO:

Ismitje, BalanceUT, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.
  14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would think that poor showing and results against the two expansion teams over the next 4 weeks or so might just have an impact. Minnesota will be tough at home looking for their first win probably.

Also, Atlanta here is no easy task. That team looks dangerous just getting off the bus.

I would think ties or losses to Minn. & ATL would be enough.

15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is also defunct, now.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Only took two years. Nice guy, but not a great coach.

ajr_RSL, Pl@ymaker and BalanceUT repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And . . . closed!

ajr_RSL and SenordrummeR2 repped this.