Time for yet another "Mass Shooting" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A national registry for gun owners will never happen. Haven't you seen Red Dawn?

song219 and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would say "Wolverines!" but that means something different when you say it to a guy in Colimbus.

stanger repped this.
  3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A national registry is unlikely because the gun lobby doesn't want people to know how small the gun owning populace really are.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Jeez - remember the firestorm this caused a few years ago?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2362530

5. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Id like to see: Careful demographic analysis identifies the rebel flag wavingist, bump stock lovingist, full auto feteshingist, Glockaphilic, red state NRA branch anywhere. then, get a few busses and flood them with multiple branches of the "Huey Newton Gun Club" all clamoring for enrollment forms. Put op "H.N.G.C Coming soon" real estate signs on vacant siters all over Whitelandia. Make Jesusland shudder. Season to taste.

6. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013

Also Heart is most likely your own fault (at least partially), while Cancer often seems to come out of nowhere. It's much more scary. So you give money.

With Heart you think you can minimize your risk by living healthy, exercising etc. With cancer? No such luck (although that's not true for all cancers).

Coincidentally the same trick works with guns. The big scary boogey man is out to get you, he can come any time out of nowhere without warning, you better have a gun to defend yourself!

Car accident on the other hand? Well I'm the one driving so I have control! Obviously not entirely true, but that's the way it works out psychologically. The illusion of control is important. Paradoxically buying a gun gives you that.

The Gun lobbyists have a really easy sell.

I hate the ********ing Eagles, man.

Q*bert Jones III, Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but who among that demographic, even knows who Huey Newton is? Maybe a more contemporary Negro Whose Very Name Induces Fear. Kanye West? Wesley Snipes, LeBron James, PK Subban?

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also would lower their sales at it would allow law enforcement to be able to track straw purchasers and gun show transactions.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can try, but checking out is not gonna get you anywhere. :p

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are enough people out there who know how to use google who would figure it out, if not at the age that they would already know.

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barack Obama Gun Club

russ and superdave repped this.
  12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was scrolling up as I read this post, and my first thought was, how are Nancy and Ann Wilson our fault? Are you going to blame us for Loverboy too?

chaski and taosjohn repped this.
  13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    fyp

russ, Smurfquake and Boloni86 repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No fair!

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Gotta hand it to wingnuts like Steve Scalise. Motherfer's walking around with crutches after barely surviving a shooting and he says "Nancy Pelosi already has a bill ready to ban bump stocks. It's a slippery slope (eroding 2nd Amend) if you start with bump stocks."

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Foo--he probably believes he should have "made himself smaller..."

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I blame him for the Nats Game 1 loss to the Cubs in addition to being a horrible politician.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty surprising new development in the LV shooting timeline. The security guard on the 32nd was shot in the leg a good 6 minutes before the gunman opened fire on the crowd. The previous timeline stated he was shot after. The question is that did he call the police or 911 then? if so why it took that long to locate him and the shooter?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/las...rd-before-mass-shooting.html?__source=Twitter

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can track who's buying the ingredients for meth but...

dapip repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There is two kinds of music, country and western. The Eagles is western. But I don't blame you, they draw from the same audience. It's a distinction without much difference.

russ and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What kind of music do you usually have here, "We got both kinds, we got country and western.

chaski and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One of the things I read/heard about the response was that a lot of people where phoning in reports that were less than accurate, sending several units to the wrong places. When you consider that many of the people in the crowd and thereabouts were visitors and thus didn't know exactly where they were, that's understandable.

The new timeline adds a few questions, though.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That was indeed the reference. Even now, after so many viewings, I can't watch that scene without laughing.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I have no idea who the actress is but I can't imagine that line delivered any better.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Rule of thumb-- Western is the one with pedal steel, country is the one with banjo.

The Eagles had a lot of country-- "Take it Easy," "21," "Journey of the Sorcerer," "Midnight Flyer"-- until they began to replace Bernie Leadon-- "Ol' '55," "New Kid In Town." But really, they were both...