Time for Viduka to call it a day?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NoRightFoot, Sep 13, 2008.

1. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    His achilles problem isn't getting any better and will obviously be out of action for possible Australian selection and Newcastle. I know he has a lot of believers even though I think at international level he's often been found wanting, and I know I'm talking about a fellow half Hrvat, but is it time he gave it away?

2. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Are you sure his injury isn't getting any better? The last i heard is that he's not too far off a return to action.

3. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah I have nothing official although I haven't looked too hard either but I was browsing the player rumour board and it was stated in there. I was only looking to get people's opinions if true. If in fact it is, I think it could almost spell the end. Internationally anyway. It would also coincide with an interesting article from Paul Okon not long ago wondering what bearing the emergence of Kennedy would have on Viduka.

4. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    No matter how fit/well he is, if he's not played in any of the lead-up WCQ's for 2010, then he shouldn't be picked in the squad (for the finals) in the place of anyone else who has contributed to this qualification campaign.

FWIW I think he's been retired (mentally) since 2006. He only played for AUS in the Asian Cup because Arnold twisted his arm, strongly ........ and it showed in his performances.

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If he gets fit again, and if he's got the fire and if there's a gap in our roster then sure.

6. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd love nothing more than to see the big dukes running around in the green and gold again.

The big catch is whether he still has the fire in his belly to play for his country - this is a big doubt.

As far as the rest of the Australia squad goes none of our strikers come close to Dukes quality so I can't see him having any trouble cracking the team.

If he is fit and wants it i'd like to see Dukes carry on to 2010 (if we make it) and retire afterwards.

7. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In regards to genuine ability I'd agree. But output wise at the same level I'd disagree. The form Mark has often shown at club level is first class, but at international level he's never really produced the same. I'm not suggesting Kennedy is a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but from a scoring POV he's already ahead of Viduka for like for like at the same time.

8. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    ONLY if he contributes to getting there (ie by playing the WCQ's in Asia), else NO WAY JOSE.

What message do you think it will send to the team, if Dukes doesn't play the WCQ's, AUS makes the finals & Dukes goes in the place of some-one who played & made himself available for the qualification campaign?

The journey is part of the destination.

9. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I always thought a lot of Viduka's problems at international level had more to do with inept coaches (Mr Farina) not utilising him properly. Its interesting that when Guus took over Vidukas output increased both with his presence and his goalscoring. I think Pim is really coaching us well, some of our passing, patience and build up play against the Uzbeks was top notch and I think Viduka would really fit in well. I think he could really dominate for us (if he is fit and wants it).

Yeah true, totally agree. I was hoping he would be involved in this faze of qualification but obviously injury has ruled that out for the time being. I'll be interested to see if he is brought back in the fold when he gets over his injury.

10. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If he gets over his injury he could still be decent.

11. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In my heart, I want Dukes to play on but yer, it's all about whether he really wants it or not.

If he wants to continue, great, if he wants to retire, now is probably the best time to do it as we are in a stage where we have adapted without him.

We should at least however, schedule a friendly at home for him to play his last game in though and give him a full 90min. It's the only respectable way he should go out.

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I've always loved the big fella- and would welcome him back into the team at any stage he wanted to come back.

Dukes is World Class, yes, with capitals :), and is one of only a few real stars we have, in terms of ability and skill.

We'd be silly to reject him if he wanted to play on! ;)

13. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    I reckon a few might be pulling the trigger a little too early on this one.

If a club like Newcastle want him, he obviously still has something to offer. Lets see how he performs once (and if) he is fit.

He has more skill than any other striker available. His all round game is a team game and he deserves his chance.

14. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    :D :D :D

15. CutePuppy

CutePuppy Red Card

Nov 14, 2006
    Australia? Haha, they don't have anyone better to replace the old man:D

16. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Haven't been paying attention to Australian results of late I see.

It might be an idea to do that before going on to other teams forums and looking stupid. :cool:

17. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Assuming he can get back to some decent sort of form, I agree that Viduka should definitely be considered, depending on the situation.

In terms of a physical static striker, Viduka is second to none. Kennedy is the only other "true" 9 we have, and he is not as good in terms of knock down / control and holdup play. In games where we are playing a defensive 4-5-1 and we need an outlet, I would choose Viduka over Kennedy.

In games where Kennedy's greater mobility might be an asset, say an attacking 4-4-2, then I would go with him.

Its probably academic. It will be quite hard for Viduka to get back to previous form at his age. Time will tell.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24490336-5001023,00.html

19. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    i don't really want him tbh

20. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You meant "Time for Viduka to call it a career?" but I think in the end, it's up to The Duke to decide.

21. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Pim seems to look at him highly, so he sees something there.
    I look at Vidukas club form and think he should be there but then in Internationals he just doesn't show up in some games.
    I think the change of coach (Arnold to Pim) has changed a some people minds as to wanting to play for Aust again.

22. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE
    we dont need him..
    but A-league does..
    :cool:

23. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    He's got to play in the qualifiers, otherwise there's no place for him in the team.

24. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed if hes not willing to put in the time for the 'smaller' matches he hasnt earnt his place to be there for big ones.

Tbh if he's willing to turn up with the dedication of a Kewell or a Cahill let him give it a go at one more tournament. But tbh I'd rather the younger guys who will be around for more be given a go to build. Same idea with Moore

25. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Was watching from the sidelines tonight, looked hungry, for whatever that's worth.