Time for changes:Should Mizrahi and some more stay or go?

Discussion in 'Cruz Azul' started by Memento, May 7, 2006.

1. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    The question is simple: should Mizrahi stay or should he go? why? should some player be out of the team? who?

I hope you all can base your decision ,not only because the elimination against Toluca, but for everything that also occurred during the season.

I think Mizrahi should go,and my reasons are this:

1. He doesn't have enough experience as a head coach to handle the team.
    2. The team never played well collectively as a team during the season.We depended too much on individual talent from Pereyra,Delgado,and Fonseca.
    3. We never truly were able to compete with the 2 top teams of the league in all season long (Jaguares and Pachuca) and we never won the top spot in our team.
    4. REMEMBER that Cruz Azul qualified with many defeats during the season and the reason why we were third in the league has more to do with the system of the tournament and the irregularity of some teams than with CA's performance.

Some players should be realeased because they have showed during many years that they can't handle presure and have charcter in difficult times ,these players I think are:

T.Campos
    Corona
    O.Perez
    Sanchez
    Ortiz
    Pereyra
    Rodriguez

The only players that I think showed some regularity during all matches and should not be considered to let go are:

R.Chavez
    D.Caniza
    G.Torrado
    Restrepo
    Osorio
    Fonseca

* I think Villaluz is very young,and with very nice talent.So he should stay with the first team andbe able to play some more.Against Toluca he showed some interesting stuff to work with him.

2. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.
    I agree, i dont think it was Mizrahi's fault we lost to Toluca, a Restrepo PK would have changed everything, but there is a trend that seems to have followed Romano of complacency and inconsistencys. I think the biggest problem is hierarchy. That Mizrahi and Romano believed that the older players have earned a right by being old than an up and coming youngster. Thats what irritated me, that they got rid of Richard Nunez over others just because they were there longer. The fact that they wont replace anybody for a youngster. I guarantee if Cruz Azul started a new 11 with nobody over 22 years old, even if they lose, it will get the attention of everybody.
    ----I am very jealous of Chivas right now,those youngsters are playing a hell of a game, i hope they win both tournaments, just to see who Vergara keeps his returning players and their high price tags or his new young blood, haha.

3. Desert_Eagle

Desert_Eagle Member

Oct 29, 2005
    U.S.A
    i agree with memento give more of our youth guys playing time

R. Chavez - make him permanent starter.
    C. Villaluz - alot more playing time

and take more of the cantera to the first team.

4. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Relying on the youth of the team is a good strategy because it gives you a core of players in the team.But it is a proces that not always delivers inmediate results.

I think that there should be more young talent in CA ,giving opportunity to Chavez and Villaluz, but in order for the young to grow thay have to be backed up by important players with more experience.Every team needs players that can be leaders and that have character at difficult times and CA doesn't have one of those right now.Toluca works with many young talent but they also have players with experience and a good coach WITH EXPERIENCE.

I would love to see a coach like Westerhoff in the team,that knows how to work with young talent and change the style of playing of a team.

5. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Agree.
    I don't think Mizrahi is the only responsible for the elimination of the team.But he had something to do with it. This is not just abouth a penalty missed,it is more about who played better during the liguilla and Toluca played better and scored their goals.Cruz Azul didn't played whole season long and that same happen in the liguilla. Besides Mizrahi never had the tacttical playing strategy to change Cruz Azul.We play very similar as like we did with ROMANO,but witout being less spectacular and being named the best offense.

I just don't know why CA bought a Rodriguez from Pachuca ,very old, when they had a R.Chavez in the team so much younger,that as performed better or equally as Rodriguez so far.

In order to be a starter in any team, the only important thing should be the quality of the player,not his age. Letting R.Nuñez was a big mistake, specially considering we don't have many attacking midfielders.

Billy Alvarez and Mizrahi have declared that the team just needs some more "banca" , and six months ago they let R.Nuñez go??? Simply stupid.

6. Desert_Eagle

Desert_Eagle Member

Oct 29, 2005
    U.S.A
    i would really like to see el tolo gallego as our coach because he doesnt ask for big player buys. he just works with what he has and raises the cantera. so he can groom our youngsters.

7. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Actually Gallego was one of the candidates to be coach for CA when L.F.Tena arrived.But they didn't want to be risky and brought Romano, and then thay gave the responsability to A ROOKIE coach like Mizrahi (who is very much the same as Romano in everything, but with no experience)

8. Desert_Eagle

Desert_Eagle Member

Oct 29, 2005
    U.S.A
    i think gallego would actually work our fuerzas basicas. mizrahi all he did was waste another one of our seasons he didnt really give much playing time to our youngsters. while if we bring gallego he would actually try to groom some of our young talent.

9. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Where does one begin ?

This Cruz Azul team is certainly difficult to analyze. Last season they scored a ton of goals but ultimately failed when they were outplayed by Toluca. This season, where they were supposed to play a more intelligent game (i.e. try to defend leads), they score less goals, make 3rd place, and once again get elliminated by Toluca for the same reason as last time.

Looking at those games you got the feeling that Toluca wanted it more and were playing with great confidence. They knew they were going to advance. Cruz Azul needed to be the bully in the play yard. Luiguilla games are won by teams that can step up and impose their style on the opponent and the coach has to be the first to recognize this. Mizrahi seemed lost and without a clue as to how to invigorate the team. Cruz Azul was the 'nice guy' instead of punching Toluca in the nose (figuratively of course). The second leg was a clone of last year's second leg. Even if we'd put in the PK, Toluca would have bounced back and ultimately advanced. I have no doubts about that. The team played without a leader on the field and it showed. Everyone was trying to do too much on their own and they ultimately failed as a team.

So to answer the question posed in this thread - yes Mizrahi needs to go. Tactically, he had no answers, and mentally he couldn't instill confidence in his players to get the job done. It isn't so much the loss as how they lost that's particularly troubling.

Conejo needs to go as well. Maybe he'll have great years in his future, but they shouldn't be with Cruz Azul. The goalkeeper should instill confidence in his defenders and Conejo no longer does that.

Carmona and Galindo can't come back soon enough.

I'd also add Tomas Campos, Restrepo, and even Pereyra to the list of players to get rid of. Pereyra is an exceptional player but he's just not in synch with the rest of the team.

I do have faith in Billy Alvarez. I'm hoping to see a new team come August. The current squad has run their cycle and it wasn't enough.

10. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    I would give the befit of the doubt to Galindo and Carmona, because I think they are quality players and because they lost the last two tournaments.

Restrepo is one of the most regular DM in Mexico right now ,in my opinion.And I would surely keep him.He had a great season,but failed at a decisive moment.I think Pereyra has quality but he has a problem,with consistency,if he can mantain consistency in his play,he would be top class.

Players that need to go,please:

T.Campos
    Corona
    O.Perez
    Sanchez
    Pereyra

We desperately need work with the forward line and the offensive midfield.

11. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.
    Just like the past 2 times weve gotten eliminated, if you check the games, the goal post did a better job stopping us than the opposing keeper. Again, the goal post denies us. How many times did Cristante save Toluca its impressve. When you have faith in your keeper even if he makes a mistake you know it happens but when you lose faith youre begging that nothing happens. Look what chivas did, Talavera played bad and now hes replaced by Michel.
    Perez hurts himself by doing nothing before the season, Gonzales does good, and Perez gets to return, we have 2 younger keepers who are going to rot on the bench!

12. smartbomb

smartbomb Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Will Chelito resist the allure of Monterrey's new sponsor's big dollars?

Abreu didn't. Hmm.

13. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.
    Well Abreu didnt have a choice, he could go to Monterrey and be in 1st division or stay in Sinaloa and go to 1a Division. Chelito is still in 1st.

Whose Monterrey's new sponsor?

14. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    They benched Richard Nuñez for Burrito Rivera, one of the worst foreigners in MFL history. I think that tells you all.

Now you can blame Mizrahi or everyone but its something institutional. Since getting to the final in Libertadores, Cruz Azul has just gone from failure and crisis after failure and crisis. The 6 players booted from the team, Carrillos term, Meza's turn, Tena's turn, Romano and now Mizrahi. Cruz Azul has always gotten eliminated by garbage performance in liguillas. Their Mexican players just suck and never step up. Alvarez has to do something because it just a cycle that keeps on going. This team can just do great in regular season and then choke year after year with coach after coach and players after players. 11 straight liguilla games without a win??

15. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan

11 liguilla games without a win. That right there is a disgrace. Cruz Azul players have become stagnant, complasive and to some degree, lazy.The directiva has to make evrybody accountable, starting with themselfs. It is time to hire a quality coach and get rid of players that have not performed to expectations.

16. Colima24

Colima24 Member+

Jul 28, 2005
    Villa de Alvarez
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You've been told plenty of times... there's more than enough room over here to accomodate Albañiles who have lost all hope. Que no te de vergüenza. :)

17. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan

Safo guey!! Yo me quedo con mis cementeros, pero de que necesitamos cambios drasticos no hay duda..

Arriba el Temo!.................................................................NOT!:D

18. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005

19. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Le va a dar mas verguenza al Quasimodo ver a Kikin en el mundial...:D

yes, time for big changes, Mizrahi cant motivate his players, only tried to play a toned down version of Romano's system, he has to go, Sabah has to go also; super Richard would have been a lot more effective, the deffense should be revamped also; although with Osorio and Caniza back after the WC we shouldn't be in trouble, plus the "dopados" should be allowed to play I believe, they have been training with the Machine all these time, and their punishment expires in June (I think).

Which leaves our forwards, I hear rumors than Kikin and Chelito are moving to Europe, Another rumor I read is that this guy, a Former River Plate coach is hearing offers from Mexico, but he mention he would only coach, Cruz Azul, America or Tigres, I cant remember is name right now, I believe is nickname is "El Pelado" something... he made River champion several times in Argentina

20. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.

I think our defense is good, Osorio, Caniza, "los dopados" Carmona, Galindo(i like that, haha), and i dont care what people say, Huiqui with time will get better. The problem was that when shyt hit the fan, the backups either couldnt perform or they didnt get shots. I wanted to see more of Rogelio Chavez, but he kept being replaced by Rodriguez. thats just one example, i know thats not the reason.
    BTW- We still own Richard Nunez, but i doubt he'll come back after being dissed by Mizrahi and earing a title with Pachuca, (thats right i said, if we cant win at the least the name CRUZ AZUL will be celebrated with a title,haha) win by proxy!!

21. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    "El Pelado" Diaz is a candidate to be the new coach of America.

According to statements by Billy Alvarez, Mizrahi stays one more season. That the reason for the failure of this season was because there were many players missing and no quality substitues.

I'll just say one thing: 1 title in 22 years.Not a single worthy performance in liguilla in the last 11 games in liguilla. I think Billy Alvarez needs to get a clue and find out that the problems are the player he already has.

22. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Seems to me that Billy needs to grow some bolas. He is alwyas taking the easy way out lately.

A team with the history and money that Cruz Azul has, shoud be doing a lot better

23. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nunez regresa con Cruz Azul.

24. terrible15

terrible15 Big Soccer Hall of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    long beach, ca
    Players that should leave the team
    Alberto Rodriguez
    Gabriel Pereyra
    Miguel Sabah
    Oscar Perez
    Tomas Campos

25. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.
    I think Sabah did ok as a substitute, I agree with the rest of the lineup.