Time for an overhaul - Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Apr 14, 2017.

1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured it was time to start this up. Lots of things up in the air with so many players expiring in 2018 and currently no manager inked for next season. Lots of rumors of 100-200 GBP overhaul of the roster this summer with rumored exists so far of Alexis, Ozil (if they force a move), Gibbs, Wilshire, Ox, Ospina, OG and Kos.

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the 1st reply to my own thread... news circulating this morning that we have agreed to a free transfer of LB Sead Kolasinac of Schalke.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stats look essentially like a younger Monreal, but with lower pass completion numbers. Good signing, if true.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the silly season is upon us, starting of course with the gaffer himself.

But perhaps the first "overhual" should be of your thread title. ;)

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Keep the typo. This whole season has been the equivalent of a typo.

LAgooner05, danielh and Fifty repped this.
  6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that's what happens when you try to start a thread on no sleep. Oh well. Not sure I could fix the title of it wanted.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I want to swap out squad with real madrids if that is possible?

cantona94 repped this.
  8. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone really think Wenger will either allow or go for an "overhaul" of the squad? Maybe I'm just too cynical but I just don't see it.

And even if he does go for it, I don't trust his ability to sign high level players. Apologies on the negative Nancy attitude, my apathy and depression as to the state of this club are large.

That said, apparently we got a new left back that Schalke fans seem to hold in high regard...now to only get rid of and bring in another 7-10 players.

Fifty repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it takes a moderator to change a thread title? When was the last time you saw our mod around here??

10. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

just goes to show just how many ballers there are out there...i am sure hardly anyone would have picked him as a potential target (most places i frequent online kept mentioning wolfsburg's Rodriguez who is a very dynamic player).

if true, then he is 1 of about what, 6 or 7 players:D

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently Chelsea and the Manchester clubs were tracking him too. Stats suggest he commits more fouls than Monreal, but is otherwise similar.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been seen tons of links to him. Also seen links from ManU, Chelsea and Juventus. Rodriguez is a better LB but Kolasinac is better than what we have and will only cost us salary while Rodriguez would likely be 20-30 million transfer plus a salary.

Assuming we are actually looking to overhaul we now have an extra 20-30 mil to spend on someone else.

13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw somewhere that the new LB was told Wenger is staying

14. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw that as well...

15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have preferred kurzawa

16. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not seen this new LB play but by all accounts he sounds similar to Bacary just on the left...Is this a fair assessment? Anyone who can shed more light on him?

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I cant stand the fact that this overrated, dithering old clown is actually thinking of extending

Selfish old pric

He was also NEVER elite and his legacy is questionable

I guarantee we are in the exact same position with the same problems if he stays

Honestly, fcuk the guy he's killing Arsenal as much as the board

Fifty repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    853167236462379008 is not a valid tweet id

853167412497330177 is not a valid tweet id

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imo u cant have two wing backs anyway

Most top sides usually have a stay at home one side behind an inside forward and a wing back going forward the other side

Guys like maldini, abidal, brown and Lauren in regards to that (also capable forward but can cover at cb)

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard that. But it seems so limiting, so asymmetrical. Why not just say either left or right back can attack, just not both at once... they coordinate on-the-fly... one stays back if the other goes up?

thebigman repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If u play 3 cbs maybe but u cant in a 4231 or 433

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kolasinac is more defensively oriented LB but he is more offensive than Nacho and would be capable of pushing up to LM if we ever switch to a 3 man back line.

23. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kolasinic fills one of the big needs we had this summer.

I assume we are going to keep Chambers at the club next season for cover, but I feel like we could still use another CB. I want Gabriel gone and replaced by someone who actually has a footballing IQ.

Let's also assume that we are going to sell Ospina and that Szcez will be given a chance to take over the starting job. That's two holes in the squad "filled".

We desperately need another midfielder, without evening considering replacements for those that leave.

We need probably 5 to 6 players to even claim a "squad overhaul".

If Wenger is staying, and I wish he wasn't, he needs to at least ship off some of his biggest disappointments. That means goodbye Aaron and Wilsh in the center of the park. Santi will be good for less than 15 games next season, so we need someone who can retain the ball next to Xhaka.

I don't even want to think about what kind of replacements will be needed on the wings.

24. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    We always needed 4-5 players at least for the past few years.

Elneny was a waste of a signing.

Xhaka wasn't the player we needed but actually ended up being worse than even I expected.

Wilshere and Ramsey were never going to be great.

Giroud was never a starter.

Welbeck was always trash.

Ox I still hold hope for.

Mustafi has been shit lately but I have faith.

Bellerin is not the greatest but I'm fine with.

Cech is no longer Cech.

Kos I still love.

Montreal is trash.

Walcott was never great. Should be axed.

Iwobi I have faith in.

Alexis and Ozil need to stay.

Coq was never good. Always a backup.

******** it. We need like 7-8 players.

Team is worse than Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, City. On par with Everton. ******** the rose tinted glasses wearing delusional Arsenal fans. Team been shit for years now. Anyone in the least bit surprised by this season never knew to begin with.

cantona94 repped this.
  25. PureEvil

PureEvil Member+

Jul 30, 2014
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Sead has been a starter for Schalke since 2012.. and considering almost every club was linked with him this year hats of to you as i almost guarantee hes gonna be your first LB choice. Hes miles better than Gibbs and Nacho as well as other names in the EPL.

If you watch Schalkes games this season and you'll see how much of an impact he has when hes not playing, 95% of games they loose/draw without him, not to mention he has 3 goals and 5 assists this season for a LB lmfao. Hes also been featured numerous times for the Bundesliga team of the week this year.

It's fair to say once this becomes official you guys have a quality left back on your way who's very young and loads of experience. I know he will help your team defensively and hopefully offensively at times. I'll be looking forward to his debut.