Timbers trade for Jeremy Hall

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by prowazekii, Nov 22, 2010.

1. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hall has the potential to be a very good MLS player.

What he needs is to be given A position to learn and master. At NY, and even at college in Maryland, he was moved all over the field. The good news is he's really versatile and can be used wide on both sides of the field at both MF and defense and even d-mid.

But he hasn't been able to learn to be above average at any of them and as a result hasn't reached his potential.

Clearly, at NY he wasn't going to be anything than a Jack of all trades so if Spencer gives him a chance to learn one position, this will be a good trade for both Portland and Hall.

3. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm going to assume this means the Timbers won't be picking a player from the NYRB unprotected list??

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neg, he wasnt taken in the expansion, so new york is still game. that was a draft pick trade, not an expansion spot usage. New York should still be in play. Da Luz and Garcia are both two id be eyeballing.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would imagine Portland and NY arranged a deal similar to what Philly and Seattle have done in the past, but Vancouver could still pick a couple of NY players.

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    You missed the insinuation, i.e. this trade was made so that Portland wouldn't select any NY players.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 3rd round pick for a former 1st round pick. Portland may have made a good trade on this one.

8. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the best of luck for Hall, but although he played out of his normal position at RB for the Red Bulls he never demonstrated any good foot skills. He couldn't cross if is life depended on it. When he had the ball at his feet, he never looked very comfortable and often lost the ball. Who knows, but I think the best that can be hoped for Hall is being a serviceable MLS player. We'll see.

9. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spencer may be the key to the success of all these players. He's proven his ability to turn nobodies into somebodies.

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Hall on one side Wallace on the other could be fun, then Wallace was traded after a couple of hours.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Which Wallace are you referring to?

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States