"Tim plays for U.S. in January" - SAF ???

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FlamingTroll, Nov 17, 2003.

1. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll Member

Nov 13, 2002
    "Tim plays for US in January" - SAF ???

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Team_News/0,1562,27,00.html

The story about Tim Howard being called up for US qualifiers in January is being repeated again this time with a quote for Sir Alex Ferguson saying that he has spoked with Arena & has been told that he'll lose TH for two weeks. As we know that there are no qualifiers in January, besides being yet another example of extremely shoddy journalism on the east side of the pond, there are two explanations assuming the quote is true: 1) this is an old quote which is somehow just surfacing or 2) this is for the rumored January US friendly

2. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I believe this is being discussed here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81070&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

But as for the article, and that thread, I don't believe the premise. Bruce Arena has been relatively consistent when it comes to calling on players from abroad. He has capable keepers in the US that could do well if it is in qualifiers or even friendlies - I would imagine he would want to dance the fine line of club vs. country at a later time than in preliminary qualifiers or friendlies on un-official days.

Having said that... a reason why he may call Howard is because the MLS season will have been out for a few months, hence, the keepers there may not be in the same match sharpness as a player in Europe. Still I think Arena would let the European players stay there until it is necessary to call them for a more serious or meaningful opponent. Aren't the US first few matches against the minnows of the region?

3. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll Member

Nov 13, 2002
  4. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    Great opportunity to see howard play again if the games are played in the US. earlier than in the ManU tour next summer