Tim Howard

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mickhayafe, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    While I apprecaite Howard's reasoning on this... I think he's dead wrong.

This is the world of sports, where perception is often just as important as reality when it comes to players abilities. To me, in sports you get 1 chance with a team. Tim had his - though to be honest I think it was thrust on him too soon - and he failed.
    Note I didn't say he's a failure, but he failed to maintain the starting goalkeeper job at ManU.

Now, does this mean his career is finished? No... not by a longshot.
    However I do think his career is essentially finished at ManU. The problem is that the fans and team have a perception of him as a shakey keeper. I think it will be very hard to shake (pun intended) that off and be a solid #1 keeper again.

Personally I think that Tim should have moved in the off season to a midrange or lower level Premier League team. One that can bet on his natural ability and work with him. A team that would play him regularly. That's the only way to see how good he really is and how good he can become. If you're in your mid 20s and sitting on the bench, that doensn't instill much faith (in me at least) that you're on the road to being a great goalkeeper.

I really think Tim messed up when he re-signed knowing they were bringing in someone else. Van der Saar is currently 34 and he could easily be there 2 more years. If this is the case, Tim won't get a chance to "restart" his career until he's 28? sorry that means the game has passed him by.

Timmy is not a Young Keeper any more... he's 26. At this stage he should be learning his true abilities. Yes I know keepers develop later, but the next year will determine largely (my opinion) what his level really is

2. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VDS has a 2 year contract with Man United if I'm not mistaken. He was brought in by Fergie to win now with the likes of Keane, Scholes, Giggs and Gary Neville who all have a couple of years left at Old Trafford at best. Fergie hoped Timmy could learn from VDS since he is one of the best keepers in the world at the moment. Fergie still hopes in a couple of years that Tim will be the keeper he believes he can when the likes of Rooney, Smith, Jones, Rossi, Bardsley and Richardson are mainstays in the United 1st team. (yea the 1st 2 already are, but they're young and are part of United's future so...)

To the poster above... 28 is when keepers start hitting their prime and Timmy could be a world class keeper easily into his mid 30's like VDS and Kasey are. Keepers like Peter Cech and Casillas are not the norm, they're just exceptionally gifted.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Keller gets hurt, Arena should ask Friedel to come back.
    That's my opinion.

I can't blame Howard whatsoever for taking the payday at ManU.
    But, we can stop pretending that sitting on the bench there is better than playing every game at Reading.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    He was poorly positioned and dropping that ball early on was a mistake. He either needs some regular playing time to demonstrate that he is as good as we hope. Right now, if he goes to Germany as our No. 2, I'll be concerned.

5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No 'keeper in the world would have gotten to that third CR goal, but Tim almost did, amazingly enough. That is what Howard brings to the table--incredible athletic and reflex ability. Unfortunately he still struggles with positioning and handling the ball. Obviously this can change with consistant first-team action (somewhere).

All that said, I feel that Marcus Hahnemann would make the better No. 2 right now.

6. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    i think i'm one of those big soccer punks who glorified timmy in his beginning and trashed convey relentlessly. now i have seen the light and believe that, like convey, timmy needs a slower development on the mental side. saf has trashed his confidence but he can't be a wee baby and cry because he is the 2nd keeper for one of the finest clubs in the world. he will become stronger through this and he will be our best option in a couple of years.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Sinter I agree that 28 is when a lot of keepers come into their prime.
    However, most of those that are cominginto their prime are already playing regularly and building their confidence and their reputations from 24-27.

Howard was well on his way to doing that.
    However he has taken a massive step back with his confidence and his reputation.

He made some big mistakes in the nets for ManU. Were they arell his fault... no of course not, but many were. On a lesser team these may have been overlooked but not at ManU. Tim hasn't looked the same confidant netminder he did 2 years ago (not suprisingly really). Also he can be viewed as a guy who got his shot and blew it. Do I think tha'ts the correct assessment no.... but it's perfectly legit.

I am a major fan of Howard, but I'd much much much rather him be playing fora lesser team than sitting on the bench at his age. Yes he's still just coming into his prime years, but it does no good to get to the age when most start really hitting their stride if you aren't even walking yet.
    (did that analogy work?)

8. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. Well put. I'd go on to say that Hahneman did look commanding against Guatemala. It's a shame that Hahneman didn't get an opportunity in such a difficult situation as playing in Saprissa.

9. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard hasn't lost enough hair yet. Wait until he's bald, then he'll bring the pain.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But that's like saying that a player should get a full time gig (let's say a starting ptcher) with the KC Royals or the Milwaukee Brewers than a rotation (bullpen) job with the BoSox or the Atlanta Braves even though such choice would cost him millions of dollars.

This is an unlikely event for a young player in the EPL, who was lucky enough to catch on with ManU in the first place. Maybe, after having made $15-$20M from the game, Tim will become more philosophic about his choices and will look for a team that will feature him more - which is no guarantee, btw - but now he's a bread winner for his family and he is simply being responsible by holding onto the Manchester gig. He will play there anyway and practicing against the world class players isn't exactly fruitless.

11. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Ah but we're talking a bit of Apples and Oranges now.
    From a Business point of view and a family point of view- Tim could very well be in the best position possible. He's making a good bit of money and his job is secure. And that's fine, pro sports IS a business first and formost. It's a way a few very lucky individuals get to earn a living.

But.... if he's trying to be the very best he can and improve, I think he's in the wrong spot. This is just my personal opinion.

The reliever for the RedSox vs Starter for the Royals isn't quite the same since in baseball today relief pitchers get a lot of innings whereas a reserve keeper is pretty much a bench warmer. But yes, I think if you're trying to establish yourself as a top pitcher in baseball it's better to be in the rotation for the Royals than a member of the bullpen for a contender. Once you get sent to the bullpen, you rarely come back to being a starter. Granted you can have a great and solid career in the bullpen, but darn few are considered among the best pitchers.

Tim isn't really young anymore, at a time he should be peaking, he took a demotion to less game time. It's one of those dilemmas we used to have about Kirovski - was he content to sit on the bench for more money or should he have moved to a team where he could play and hone his skills and hopefully improve/fullfill his capabilities.

12. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalies dont mature until bout 30 or so. THeir primes are the early to mid 30's Friedel and Keller are in their primes for sure. Howard is still young and hes signed with manu till 2009....THese games for him are good experience. I have no issue with him as the #2, but Hanhemann looks good as well. THose are the 3 we should take, it doesnt matter whos #2 cause Keller is the guy as long as hes healthy (knocks on wood)

13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make it seem simple, but it is really much more complicated than "simple math." Keeper momentum and direction must be taken into account. Shots at the near post take less time to get to the goal than shots to the far post. Therefore, reaction time has to be considered both with respect to the speed of the ball and the side to which it is being shot. Also, a shot to the far post, while offering more time for a keeper's reaction, more often requires the keeper to go full stretch which takes longer. At the near post, the saves are more of the drop variety, or kicks. And, to partially repeat myself, keeper momentum in conjunction with symmetrical or asymmetrical balance (i.e., leaning or not), can make a save extraordinarily difficult or much easier. In other words, it's not just about "cutting down the angle."

14. adamu7777

adamu7777 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    North Carolina
    seriously...it was a freaking monsoon

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    and it'll be nice english weather tonight too...

near noreaster conditons, plenty of rain, plenty of wind....

keller is the guy and if keller gets hurt, I still think arena gives freidel a call first.

16. ifleming16

ifleming16 is gonna makedamnsure

Aug 17, 2005
    Cola/HHI, SC
    You're absolutely right, but I didn't state all of that because it was not essential to the point of discussion. I was merely stating why Tim Howard was not at fault for coming off his line on the first two goals. Great explanation, though. I'll rep you just for the effort.

17. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt he was too far off his line on goal one. He did make a nice reaction save on a soft shot however, but couldn't hold it as we all know. Perhaps the ball was saveable still if he was back on his six when the shot was taken. He was also @ risk of being lobbed or felt being that far out.

Goals 2 and 3 were unstoppable IMO but his positioning was correct on them.

18. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OOOOPS! "lobbed or CHIPPED on goal one. (NOT FELT!!)

19. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To me only one of the goals was a positioning thing. One of the other two goals even Van der Sar couldn't stop. (edited my last sentence a bit hehe)

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You know, I think Kirovski would have sucked on any scene. He just never developed the timing and the space awareness that he should have. I think his technical skills are fine but he is a somewhat slow afoot.

As to Timmy, I think you got my point. When you're guaranteed ~ $2-3M per year on a 4 year deal, seeking other options for a back-up is not a normal occurrence. Had he gone to lower tier squads, he might have had to take a 50% cut.

No, thank you. First things first.

21. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Let's hope so, if the I-don't-want-to-think-about-it happens to Keller.

22. ifleming16

ifleming16 is gonna makedamnsure

Aug 17, 2005
    Cola/HHI, SC
    No comments yet on Timmy after the Panama game?

I thought he looked good, and I think wearing the armband did a lot for his confidence last night. He seemed to be a lot more in control of what was going on with his defense. All in all, a solid performance.

23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Howard announces retirement at end of MLS season.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...retire-from-playing-at-end-of-2019-mls-season

Probably most of you heard it already.

Just want to say Tim was a legend and if we can develop another goalie of his quality we will be in good hands.

Of course he will be remembered most for the Belgium game in 2014:

But he had many other fantastic moments and continued a tremendous run of US keepers. So many great victories. The ManU signing, the Tourettes stuff, legend at Everton, just a great, great career.

Sad, it ended poorly down in T&T. Bad situation that Tim really shouldn't have been in.

That said, I don't really love guys when they announce retirement a year ahead. Strikes me as self serving with the retirement tour at each stop. Anyways...

TIMMMAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Should have stayed retired after the Belgium game. The best possible way to go out (short of a win). He shouldn't have been involved with the recent cycle. He was way past it but somehow JK and Arena didn't look to the future.

yurch10 repped this.
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As opposed to the new regime who are going with the youngster Guzan.