Tim Howard

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mickhayafe, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    wouldn't it be better if he would go to a team that would play him instead of signing a new contract with ManU? Is it the money? what's the deal?

2. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    howard signed his contract before they got van der sar. i can't remember where, but i read that howard said he would not have re-signed with man u had he known they were bringing in van der sar.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I thought I read just the opposite. I thought he said something like, "I could have signed for a lesser club and been certain to play but what would that prove?"

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    How did he look in this last WCQ? Were the 3 goals he allowed softies? Is he looking like the regular back-up? Just wondering.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't softies... but he didn't look commanding out there either. He looked exactly like what he is, a guy with some great skills and some problems in the mental game (although I wouldn't fault him for the goals in the CR game) that is out of practice. He isn't pushing Keller too hard for the number 1 spot. I think Hahneman is a better backup at this point. He's apparently playing really well for Reading.

6. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    he'll start some games this year for man u....they have too many games for van de sar to start them all.

7. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point, mentally i'm wondering if TH has what it takes to be a top notch international goalkeeper. it's not fair right now to fully condemn him as he is clearly out of practice, i'm just saying ... i wonder if he'll ever have that rock solid confidence. i mean, even when KK and BF were getting jerked around by their club teams in Europe, they still came back to the states and played GK like they were they were the c0cks of the walk.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I hope he comes roaring back, makes it a contest. Like he did last year with Carroll.

Maybe a win against Panama would give him a boost as well?

9. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    so you're saying he might not have the mental strength? I was thinking that when that thread with the article came out last month (i think) where he said he was "mad" or something like that. Every time one of the sports teams I support has a player that comes out to the press expressing some sort of negative attitude, doesn't matter what, it always turns out bad.

10. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Friedel was run out of Liverpool before he was beatified in Korea.

Give Tim some time.

Clearly an understudy in 2006 at this stage, but who knows in 2010.

11. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    I've gotta start thinking Fergie and Arena are having a hard time figuring out his confidence. I don't see any of the three goals as his fault against CR, but damn, he dropped a ball out for a corner kick in the opening minutes. Not exactly the confidence builder in either himself or his team.

Games would be great for him, and I wish he could get more playing time. Unfortunately, the one position we never had to worry about si going to be the one position we'll be the most worried about post 2006. Hahnemann is a decent candidate, Reis maybe, Hartmann-Busch-Cannon? Rimando? Brown is playing in the artic circle somewhere. Is Walker making a statement again? Countess, not likely, he hasn't started for a winning team in MLS his entire career. Do we even want to dip into Meola, Thornton, Garlick? Guzan? There's a lot of doubts in the net post 2006.

David James has admitted to seeing a sports psychiatrist, and while it may not have done wonders for him, maybe that's exactly what Howard needs.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Did you see the rain coming down early in the game?

13. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I was surprised the anouncers didn't catch that either

14. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny Member

Nov 4, 2004
    USA
    this is absolutely wrong, timmy knew it was saf's plan to bring in a topnotch gk for the present and he is supposed to be the future

15. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Well anyone catching the Holland game against the Czech's would have seen why VDS will be the #1 keeper at ManU for a while. Realistically Timmy isn't going to win a starting job this season, his best option is to go to another club, one with less pressure to win.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they weren't softies. He was hung out to dry by his defense/Bruce's 3-5-2 each time. The first goal came off rebound from Howard's excellent one handed diving save. Wanchope came in unmarked and poked it in. 2 and 3 resulted directly from turnovers and poor marking in the middle directly outside the box. They were extremely well placed (one just inside the left post and IIRC caught side netting and the other an absolute screamer that ricocheted down off the crossbar and just barely angled into the goal) .

In an odd way, despite all the action in front of the goal this game provided little in the way of a basis for evaluating Howard, because as far as saves went he was either presented with no chance or nothing terribly difficult (and therefore no chance to shine). His command of the area wasn't the greatest, but then the conditions (a monsoon) were a mitigating factor there, as has been pointed out. But the key factor was always the disarray among the US field players, so it's hard to point to Howard in any specific way. He didn't look great but it's tough to make a case that anybody else would have, under those conditions.

17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis.

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Howard's attitude has been and continues to be his greatest asset. He's never complained from the time he was a standout starting GK at Man United through all the problems he's faced recently. He's still considered the future goalkeeper, though he does have competition from elsewhere. If he absolutely wants to start right now, he'd have to move on. But there is no indication that he feels that way.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Why wouldn't it be?

As to the goals, I thought he came out too far on the first one. In that rain, a GK should force the forward to beat him from a sharp angle and, with the defender (Gooch) on him, Soborio didn't look capable to doing anything major. That in fact what happened. It was a slow toe poke.

Of course, given the conditions of the match weather, this raises a question of why the US players didn't try to exploit the slick pitch and launch a few wormburners on the CR goal. Hmmmmm....

20. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I'm honestly curious about this since I've never played GK, why did he come too far out on the first goal? What would've been gained from staying closer to the line? Wouldn't have have created a smaller GK profile, thereby making it more likely that Soborio would've put it past him?

Balboa was certain of this too, but it mystifies me. Please explain.

21. ifleming16

ifleming16 is gonna makedamnsure

Aug 17, 2005
    Cola/HHI, SC
    You may never have played GK before, but you sure are thinking like one. You're right, the point of coming out is to cut down the shooter's angles, thus making it harder for him to find an open spot of the goal to shoot at. It was in another thread that I was in a bit of a discussion concerning this fact in regard to the second goal as well. The only reason Timmy came even remotely close to that shot is because he was so far off his line. The fact is, the closer to the goal the GK is, the more ground he has to cover in order to stop a shot.

[​IMG]

It's simple math, really.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, the benefits of coming out is that you cut down the angles available to the attacker. When you think that a forward can get a good shot off, that what you do.

But there's a downside that a chip or a toe poke would just get the ball past a GK so quickly that he wouldn't be able to react.

Notice how a forward adjusts to what a GK does:

A) If GK stays at home (closer to the goal line) - an attacker shoots hard and low into the corner.

B) If GK comes out - you toe poke it into a corner or chip/lob the GK because if you smash it hard, you'll likely hit it right into the GK's chest (Twellman's favorite target).

*GK should never come out on a bouncing ball because that makes it very easy to chip the ball and yet very hard to hit it with power.

Howard had a contested breakaway. Perhaps in England with a fairly high ability to execute the shot, someone like Rooney or RvN would have still hammered it on goal and so Tim would have been right to come out in that case, but I feel that Onyewu was making sufficient strides to stop Saborio from attempting a wind-up. In this instance, you allow your defender to make the play because it's easier for a defender to prevent a hard shot than a toe poke. Rightly then, as Saborio was running out of room, all he could get off was a toe poke. Had Tim stayed back, he could have probably picked the ball off the ground with both hands.

23. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Friedel was also the best goalkeeper in the Premier League before Korea.
    His problem days at Liverpool had as much or more to do with Evans being ousted for Houllier as his performances on the field. That entire team was a mess when Brad got there, and while he wasn't the greatest goalkeeper, he was far from the worst in Liverpool.

Blackburn (Sounness) saved Brad.... and Brad repaid the opportunity with some excellent goalkeeping just prior to the last world cup and for the season after.

24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    What he did in fact say was that he re signed because with Van der Star in his late thirtiers that he (Howard) was the natural successor when Van der Stars contract was up.........

25. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    While I agree that none of the three goals versus CR are his fault he has quite a few short comings and while he is still young he may or not be able to overcome them. His first and fore most issue is that he does not demand a pressence in the box. How many times as he gone up and gone soft on the challenging oppoistion? He needs to get his elbows out and his knees up to show the opposition that this is his goal mouth and that if they come through there going to be eating grass. Second is he does not have sure hands at all and is constantly spilling the ball. Sorry if you want to be a top Int keeper you cannot give 2nd and 3rd oppurtunties on goal your going to lose 90% of the time. 3rd is he is a poor judge of the long ball which is another big no no, you cannot be caught off your line when you have no buisness being out. Finnaly and more reflective on the 1st issue is that he needs to stop looking at his teamates all stary eyed and needs to chew them a new one when they don't do there job. On countless occasions when Manu would slip up in defense I saw nothing coming out of Howards mouth. He needs to remind them of the real reason of why the ball is in the back of the net. Because of there shite playing defense and not shouldering the blame. Moving foward will Howard see any action? Yes but very limited, he will not see any Europen or Premeship but he will see Cup play. Unfortunatly he is Manu's #2 so barring an injury to Vandar Sar there is no chance of a loan to a Europeon side so he will just need to keep learning and Vandar Sar is ten times the keeper Carroll and hopefully will rub off on him.