News: Thursday, April 27 , 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_1211.JPG
    DCU's new pitch !!

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

There is literally no one that is going to "start the talk" about FCD going unbeaten over 34 games just because they went unbeaten in seven to start the season.

jaykoz3, jayd8888, PTFC in KCMO and 4 others repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, no. But we've already started the talk were we talk about starting the talk.

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Looks like Telluride's airport. Ever fly there?

CrewDust and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    You look at the dogpile of high profile investor partners at LAFC - and you wonder why there aren't at least more celebs and international soccer stars on board with Beckham. I wonder if it's because Simon Fuller & co. have to be so careful about sustaining the Beckham brand. Like how they might choose who he sits next to courtside: can't be somebody who's too past it, neither would they want somebody who eclipses Beckham.

I wonder if this project is still seen by his team as a Beckham brand extension - rather than cashing in his remaining fame to create something bigger and keep him in "the game."

Anyway, this LA Dodgers guy probably heard all about LAFC and sniffed out a potentially great deal in Miami. Saving $100 million right out of the gate? There hasn't been a steal like that since AEG moved the Quakes to Houston.* With that kind of savings, there'd be a big, decades-long soccer party happening in St. Louis.

Still sad about St. Louis.

*Proportionally. Ok I'm not good at math. I mostly like to remind people how gross that was.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    TheLostUniversity, sitruc and Sounders78 repped this.
  7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You know, I think we are quickly approaching "Who's David Beckham?" territory. His name has not been out there all that much lately - at least, I've not heard much mention of him other than in very specific soccer circles (aka here).

Ismitje, footballfantatic and Len repped this.
  8. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just planning ahead for any increases in sea-level. But, there aren't any raccoons in the picture.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we're fixin' to start thinking about talking about starting the talk.

deejay repped this.
  10. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #12 Len, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Yea, I've wondered just how much cachet he really has left. He retired from the Galaxy in 2012. Since then the league has added Montreal, Orlando, NYC, Atlanta, and Minnesota. The year before he left, Portland and Vancouver joined. And there are still a dozen or so cities with varying degrees of interest/readiness to join. I just don't think he enters into anyone's mindset anymore.

EDIT: I forgot about LAFC

EDIT II: And clearly his name hasn't carried much weight in Miami.

Sounders78 and footballfantatic repped this.
  11. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
  12. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he is not Sauvage for Men or Versace Eros. He is Old Spice.

14. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda surprised by this. I was under the assumption that NHL, MLB, and NFL would take most of the hits because of ESPN's terrible contracts with those brands (i.e., not with the brand themselves but ESPN's piece of the pie).

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    When an entity has to cut costs all options are taken into account.

Doesn't matter where in organization, size,if area profitable, etc.

Also better to do it all at once for all involved.

Unfortunately for ESPN the bleeding isn't going to stop. We are all predicting another round of blood letting in the next 36 months. Might not be as large....but it will almost certainly happen.

18. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And we all know (at least I hope we do) how much that stinks!

[But nice pun nonetheless!]

19. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    #22 Tom Ado, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    A Running List Of ESPN Layoffs

Other sports took it even worse than soccer. The NHL was gutted of its stable of writers in the middle of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. MLB lost a prominent contributor in Jayson Stark, while Baseball Tonight got demoted to being essentially a pregame show for the Sunday game. Tons of notable college football/basketball people were also let go. As overpriced as those MNF and NBA deals are, ESPN has made it clear that the NFL and NBA will be their bread and butter going forward since they drive the most national discussion. Screamin' A Smith is now the face of the network and all he ever blabbers about on First Take is the NFL and LeBron. It's not a matter of if but when the next round cuts at ESPN, FS1, etc. is announced.

The Franchise repped this.
  20. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To some degree, they're throwing good money after bad with the NFL and NBA. On the other hand, those are the biggest draws already, and anything that drops viewership on their strongest properties will hurt them dearly. Since soccer is generally increasing in prominence and viewership, and relatively small compared to baseball or college football, it was less affected. A lot of studio employees out. I wonder how many off-camera staff were let go? And how many more people will simply see their current contracts expire without renewal? And how many more will only be re-upped at a reduced rate?

Random thought: How much did this money crunch affect Big XII non-expansion? A peek at the balance sheets, a small bit of cash, and some reassurance about protecting them from future contract cuts was probably all it took to keep their expenses from rising 20-40% on those rights.

21. big_pole57

big_pole57 Member

Oct 21, 2009
    King George, Virginia
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you are losing 500-750M in revenue, seems like these cuts in personnel are a bit more for a show of "yeah we are on top of it" rather than actually getting to the root of ESPN's issues.

22. deekay

deekay Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Can you fill me in on the "issues"? I haven't been watching ESPN for a whi......

oh. wait.

Baysider, Lancaster FC, Len and 3 others repped this.