Thrilla in Manila: Dooley in The Philippines

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by bshredder, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how Butcher would be an upgrade, in fact I'd be pissed if he is the new manager.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Indeed it is official

Azkals name ex-England World Cup skipper as new head coach

Terry Butcher, a tough, hard-nosed defender during his international career for England, who embarked on a coaching career that took him to Scotland and Australia, has been appointed coach of the Philippine national team that is set to see action in the AFC Asian Cup for the first time next year.

The 59-year-old Butcher’s role with the Azkals will be announced on Thursday night along with the appointment of former Irish coach Scott Cooper as senior football adviser of the national team as Azkals manager Dan Palami took the lead in strengthening the back room staff in preparation for major tournaments in the next seven months.

Butcher, who played 77 matches for England in a 10-year span that included three World Cup tournaments, last coached for English League Two side Newport County three years ago. He also served as assistant coach to the Scottish National team.

Although he only moved to Asia five years ago after coaching English side Leicester’s youth team, Cooper has already gained plenty of experience, having steered Thailand League powerhouse Buriram United to the league title in his first season and the knockout phase of the prestigious AFC Champions League.

Among the highlights of Cooper’s stint in Thailand was leading Ubon UMT United to back-to-back promotion from the third division to the top-flight from 2015 to 2017.

“I see this as a big challenge,” said Butcher in a video call from Moscow, Russia, where is currently based, covering the World Cup for BBC. “I see a lot of work ahead of us. But it will be fun work. It will be exciting work.”

Butcher acknowledged the efforts of former Azkals coach Thomas Dooley and the players for reaching the Asian Cup and achieving the country’s highest FIFA ranking.

“I have to say a big thank you to Thomas Dooley for getting the Azkals that far and for improving the team and believing in the team,” he said. “I think with another team, behind the team, these are exciting times for the Philippines.”

Sources said Cooper will play an active role in assisting Butcher as the England legend treads unchartered territory in Asian football.

Goalkeeping coach Steve Marcells and Chris Greatwich, who assisted Dooley in the match against Tajikistan last March, complete the Azkals’ brain trust.

Butcher said his reign will be “friendly and instructive”, pointing out that he wants players to enjoy representing the country.

“Playing for the country should be an honor and a privilege and a pleasure,” said Butcher.

“But I want to be challenged. The players have to be challenged. I’m not coming there for a holiday and enjoy the weather. There’s a whole country that your responsibility for. I want to work hard for the team and strive to be the best. There’s no point of going there if you don’t want to be successful. With success comes pressure so we can’t rest on our laurels. There’s no reason why we can’t get high as we possibly can.”

Butcher said he will be out to erase the misconception that English coaches only play direct, long-ball football.

“We want to win games with a bit of style, with a bit of finesse,” said Butcher, who visited Manila in 2016 to watch the AFF Suzuki Cup.

“Let’s make it fun. Let’s make people love watching good football. That’s our aim and our ambition.”

sports.inquirer.net/303426/azkals-name-ex-england-world-cup-skipper-new-head-coach?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1528969323

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #878 Pelefan, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I would like to thank Coach Dooley for all the work he has done as coach of the Philippine national team. 4 years(2014-18) is a long time to be a coach of a national team nowadays and he has helped improved the Philippine program a lot during his tenure.

Tactical Hipster and Winoman repped this.
  4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Coach Butcher will be assisted by an all English team of coaches including goalkeeping coach Steve Marcells and former Azkals skipper Chris Greatwich, who both assisted Dooley in the Asian Cup clinching match against Tajikistan last March as well as former Irish coach Scott Cooper who will serve as senior football adviser of the national team.

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't like this hire at all.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yeah it looks to me more like a change at the same level rather than an upgrade. The major difference I presume is that hopefully Coach Butcher isn't going to exile the Azkal's best players from the team because of personality conflicts. With the caliber of teams they are facing in the Asian Cup, they can't afford to let go of their best players just because the coach doesn't like them. Their player options are kind of limited so the logical choice was to replace the coach.

mike4066 repped this.
  7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schrock is only one person and not having him turned out to be a net benefit it looks like.

This is actually a hire going in reverse IMO. This guy has never had a good run and why we should think he will do well with the Azkals is beyond me.

8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #883 Pelefan, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Dooley's record in tournaments is kind of mixed with some disappointing results marring his successful stint in the Asian Cup qualifiers, so it was easy for them to justify the move. National team coaches don't tend to stay long in their position, and it could be argued that Dooley stayed a lot longer than you would expect when compared to the manager turnover on other national teams.

I am just not sold on Coach Butcher just yet. The Irish senior football adviser they added to the team, Coach Cooper, not only actually has a better record as a successful coach but has more experience coaching with and against Asian clubs and teams.

Former Azkal captain Chris Greatwich who is now assisting the national team as a coach also has a winning record as a coach in the minor leagues in the US, in the UFL and PFL leagues in the Philippines, and has a lot of experience playing and coaching teams in Asia.

It is not only Schrock btw, Dooley had exiled or threatened to exile such mainstays like Etheridge, Cagara, Steuble, etc. in the past for voicing opinions he didn't like. The youngest of them Etheridge made amends and was allowed back into the team, but the older more experienced players refused. Coach Dooley apparently doesn't take criticism lightly.

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #885 Pelefan, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Tom penned a letter to his fans in the Philippines on his facebook page:

My dear fans and friends,
    Sorry for the delay [​IMG]:) I just came back from a little vacation (Linapacan). Now I am rested and ready for my next challenge!
    I want to reach out to all of you out there and thank you for the great 4 years I had worked for you, getting to know you and your beautiful country. I cannot explain with words how much I love and respect your country. Thank you so much for your great words in text email and messenger.
    I have no hard feelings about the decision the PFF made. I don’t understand but I respect the decision. I’m proud and humbled to get the chance to represent this beautiful country, his terrific people and leading those fantastic players!
    Thank you very much for your support and we ALL wish only the best for Philippine football and of course our amazing Azkals team. I hope one-day young people will wake up, see the great opportunity and the future that lies in front of them. When the football community realizes that the Philippines have the genes of the Hispanics (Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc) there football future could be an Asian powerhouse. Maybe one day [​IMG] with the right program it will happen. “Anything is possible!”
    Good luck in the upcoming games and especially in the Asian Cup and thank you for the wonderful memories, which I will always carry with me.
    Thank you Puma for your support the last 4 years and many years before. What a great company you are!
    God Bless you all
    Yours,
    Thomas

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.dooley.16

On a personal note, Tom was dating a Filipina during his stay in the Philippines. Hopefully the couple continues to remain happy together moving forward.

Winoman repped this.
  10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still upset about the hire. I think we are doomed and will regress.

11. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I think the PFF could've done better. Hard for me to believe that this is the best they could find.

mike4066 repped this.
  12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

https://www.mlssocceritalia.com/thomas-dooley-wants-usmnt-interview-with-the-hero-of-usa-94/

You have been leading the Philippines team (Azkals) for years, managing to qualify for the continental cup. How do you consider this experience?

I am happy that the players were listen to me and believed in what I said. Focusing on the right things than we will be successful. We broke 11 records, we had a great WC qualification with 3 victories and a tie. We qualified unbeaten for Asian Cup Qualification. The experience was amazing from having 8 GK coaches in 4 years, 6 assistant coaches and no assistant coach in the last 2 years. Still we managed to be successful. I could write a book about it.

Pelefan repped this.
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #890 Pelefan, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Why are you no longer the national coach of Philippines? Would not it be better for the Federation to face the next competitions with you in command?

That is a good question. I don’t really know what happen. Strange was the question right after my contract ended if I would bring Stephan Schröck back into the national team!!!! I said no I don’t see why I should bring im in. He doesn’t follow the instructions, I play’s what an whenever he wants and we never had a great or successful game with him. ln the camps where he was there we had a negative camp. I ask the federation, give me one game in the last 4 years, where we were successful when he was a part of it. They couldn’t name one. He is favorite in the media and with the fans. I think that was the reason why they didn’t want to continue. That is ok if one door closes two other will open. You don’t need to best players, you need the best TEAM to win championships

What are your future projects?

Looking for a team. A team where I can bring my knowledge and experience to build another successful group.

Also will start a Philippine Football Academy where we will develop Philippine football players…Dream is World Cup qualification 2026.

____
    I hope the Philippine Football Academy comes to fruition. Dooley has a long successful history of developing young footballers in the US. He would be a great asset for Philippine football, if he does the same for their young players.

Thomas was a really good coach. He just had some personality conflicts with some of our players including Fil-German Stephan Schrock who had experience playing in the Bundesliga. This was probably the reason they let him go. It was easier to replace the coach than the few experienced players that they had on the national team. Otherwise he would still be there. They and many Filipino football fans liked him otherwise.

I wish him all the best in his future football endeavors and hope he can push through with his plans for a football academy in the Philippines.

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid reason to let the coach go. Very short sighted.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I like Dooley's response to questions on that article mentioned above. He shows confidence in himself.

https://www.mlssocceritalia.com/thomas-dooley-wants-usmnt-interview-with-the-hero-of-usa-94/

Who would you like to be USMNT coach?

Thomas Dooley.

If you had to choose a goalkeeper, a defender, a midfielder and a forward, what would be the best in the history of US nationality?

GK: Brad Friedel. Defender: Thomas Dooley, of course. Midfield: Claudio Reyna. Forward: Clint Dempsey.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    27 October 2018
    Sven-Goran Eriksson Named Philippines MNT Head Coach

Sven-Goran Eriksson has been appointed as head coach of the Philippine Men’s National Team in time for the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019 and the AFF Suzuki Cup 2018.

An experienced coach, Eriksson led the England National Football Team to two consecutive FIFA World Cups in 2002 and 2006 both finishing as quarterfinalists
    The Swedish coach also had coaching stints in Sweden, Portugal, Italy, England, Mexico, and most recently in China to add to his glittering coaching career.

“We thank Mr. Eriksson for accepting the position of Philippine Men’s National Team head coach for the upcoming AFC Asian Cup and AFF Suzuki Cup campaign,” said PFF president Mariano Araneta Jr. “His vast experience as head coach will motivate the team as the Philippines compete for regional supremacy and Asian pride.”

Eriksson will begin his preparations for the both the Asian Cup and Suzuki Cup soon. Scott Cooper, who served as interim head coach, is named as the team’s Senior Football Advisor.
    The Swedish coach’s first match will be on 13 November 2018 in the opening match of the AFF Suzuki Cup 2018 against Singapore at the Pana-ad Park and Football Stadium in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental.

pff.org.ph/2018/10/27/sven-goran-eriksson-named-philippines-mnt-head-coach/

Under Eriksson, England achieved the highest point percentage in major tournament matches of all time for an England manager, losing only three competitive games (excluding extra time) and achieved top qualifying place in all three international tournaments. Eriksson improved England's FIFA World Rankings place from seventeenth place in January 2001 to fifth in July 2006, reaching fourth during the 2006 World Cup, and was rated by The FA as England's second most successful manager after Alf Ramsey.

He was named Serie A Coach of the Year 1999-2000 and Premier League Manager of the Month in August 2007.

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Nice stats

As a football manager, Eriksson won eighteen trophies with a variety of league clubs in Sweden, Portugal and Italy, between 1979 and 2000, and became the first manager to win league-and-cup doubles in three countries.

He later managed the national teams of England, Mexico and the Ivory Coast, as well as two clubs in England.

Eriksson guided Benfica to three Portuguese Primeira Liga titles in Portugal and Lazio to the Italian Serie A championship.

manilastandard.net/sports/active/279115/ph-azkals-expect-big-things-from-eriksson-.html

- 1982 Uefa Cup champion with Goteberg

- 1983, 1984, 1991 Primeira Divisao champion with Benfica

- 1986 Coppa Italia winner with Roma

- 1994 Coppa Italia winner with Sampdoria

- Won 1998, 2000 Super Coppa Italia and 2000 Serie A with Lazio

- Won UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup (1998-99)

- Won UEFA Super Cup (1999)

- First foreign manager to take charge of England in 2001. Led them to quarter-finals at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups

- Achieved first AFC Champions League qualification for Guangzhou R&F (2014) and Shanghai SIPG (2015) in Chinese Super League

But media coverage of his on-pitch successes were arguably matched by sensational stories about his personal life and these made him a tabloid mainstay during his stint as England coach

www.straitstimes.com/sport/football/football-sven-goran-eriksson-successful-coach-and-tabloid-darling

Aside from some impressive accomplishments on the pitch, he also has quite a colorful resume off the pitch.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    His notoriety is already making an impact. Apparently the news of Eriksson's appointment is sparking the interest of players with Filipino heritage from Europe and South America who were unknown to Azkals management.

"THE arrival of coach Sven Goran Eriksson has spiked interest in the Philippine men’s football team, with a handful of foreign players with Filipino lineage signifying their intention of suiting up, according to Azkals team manager Dan Palami.

“With his entry, I’ve had messages from more players who are interested playing for the team,” Palami said.

“There were other Filipino players playing in higher divisions in Spain as well as South America. We will be looking at their documents and make a decision.”

The team is preparing for the Asean Football Federation Championship starting next month and the Asian Cup in January.

Palami said Eriksson had bigger offers from former Confederations Cup runner-up Cameroon and former Asian Cup Champion Iraq but the Philippines managed to lure the former England manager with a compensation package that he refused to reveal.

“He was being offered to coach by Cameroon and Iraq, they were offering him a lot more than what we want, we had to come up with a package to entice him,” said Palami during the on the Philippine Sportswriters Association forum on Tuesday at Tapa King in Cubao.

Palami joined forces with Melchor Miras of M-Sports, the marketing arm of the Azkals, in convincing Eriksson to head the Philippines in what could be the biggest coaching signing in any sport in the country."

“I think he was amused by my audacity and the guts to get somebody like him. I’m just glad that we were able to sell him our dream for Philippine Football and the chance to leave a legacy behind,” Palami added.

Palami bared that Eriksson met with the management and the team when the Azkals were going through training camp in Qatar.

“In his words, he didn’t expect us to be having that level as a team,” said Palami.

“He’s had it in Europe. Now he’ll have a chance in Asia. The potential of handling the Philippine national team will be another feather in his cap, I think that was the biggest motivation for him,” he added.

It also helped that Eriksson is familiar with Senior team adviser Scott Cooper as the two worked together during their time back with Leicester City.

https://www.spin.ph/football/fifa/sven-goran-eriksson-philippine-azkals-a1331-20181030

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    New job:

Former United States captain Thomas Dooley has been appointed as the new Pahang coach, bringing the end of Dollah Salleh's four-year tenure with the east coast side.

Dollah, who has an AFC Pro coaching licence, however, will be retained as team manager while former Shahzan Muda coach Tajuddin Nor will serve as technical director.
    https://www.nst.com.my/sports/footb...s-captain-dooley-replaces-dollah-pahang-coach

This is a team in what I believe is the Malaysian first division.

pahangfa.com.my/

mike4066 and BostonRed repped this.
  21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to giving the national second division a grandiose name, Malaysia has raised the bar. Their second division is called the "Malaysian Premier League". That sounds fancy, but it's not the lofty heights of the Malaysian Super League, where Dooley is now.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Take that, The Championship!

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States