Thrilla in Manila: Dooley in The Philippines

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by bshredder, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Coach Thomas Dooley was extremely satisfied with his players’ performance after their shocking scoreless draw against DPR Korea last Thursday evening at the Kim Il-sung Stadium.

To say that it was a historic result for the Azkals may be an understatement. After travelling for more than 24 hours just to get to Pyongyang, the Philippines had to weather both the North Korean squad and the vociferous 50,000 fans inside the stadium. The Philippines is the first team to leave Pyongyang with a point in this World Cup Qualifiers and the first team that DPR Korea have dropped any points to.

“DPR Korea is in first place (of group H) because they are very physical, very tall players, and they play long balls,” said Dooley after the match. “Overall, I’m very happy that the team fought and never gave up. Our plan was just to survive.”

The American mentor also hailed his players’ resilience, especially in defense, throughout the match — a far cry from their loss against Uzbekistan last month.

“(The players) were different from the game against Uzbekistan and that’s what kept us alive tonight,” elaborated Dooley. “I’m very happy with how everything went because we played with the right kind of attitude.”

With Uzbekistan winning 4-0 against Bahrain, the Central Asians moved back to second place with nine points while the Philippines are in third with seven points.

Despite being behind in the standings, Dooley is adamant that they still have a chance of qualifying to the next round. Only the top team from each group along with the four best second placed teams will advance to the next round of the World Cup Qualifiers. Additionally, those teams automatically earn a spot in the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. The teams that will not advance to the next round will have to go through the Asian Cup Qualifiers.

“We are still in business and this opens up the doors for us,” continued Dooley. “We have to collect points wherever we can.”

Up next for the Azkals is the away leg against Bahrain at the Bahrain National Stadium on October 12. The first meeting last June 11 saw the Philippines defeat Bahrain, 2-1, at home, in the opening fixture of the Qualifiers.

“We have to get a great result against Bahrain next week,” Dooley continued, “It’s a situation where we have to win, we need to win,” the Azkals coach further underlined.

http://football.com.ph/azkals-stay-alive-in-world-cup-qualifiers/

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #829 Pelefan, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Nice of bigsoccer to headline the Philippines

https://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2015/10/11/a-beautiful-and-not-so-beautiful-filipino-fairy-tale

Many good points in that story, but I thought it was a little pessimistic in terms of football development. I agree that there doesn't seem to be an organized and creditable program by the PFF especially for the national youth teams that can be sustained. I fault the PFF for being a little short sighted in that respect. However compared to before there has been a lot of improvement especially with the UFL and at the grassroots level. There was no league for players to develop and for fans to follow back in 2001.

Now there is, and despite the inadequacies of the PFF leadership, it is the private owners of the UFL that has allowed a new generation of players to develop. Although only a regional league based in Metro Manila, the standard of play has improved so much in a a few years, that it is comparable to many medium level teams and higher rated teams in Asia, as proven in AFC Cup club competition.

Many young players are emerging and some including starting Azkal defenceman 20 y/o Amani Aguinaldo has used the crucible of professional competition to develop his game to the point that he held his own as starting centerback against the taller, stronger and more physical North Korean forwards including Pak Kwang-ryong who plays for Biel Bienne in Switzerland.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Next AFC championship is in 2019. Expanding to 24 teams do you think they are a shoe in and very likely to be within those 24 teams? And what kind of media/ people attention will this get in PHI once they play in a big tournament like that for the first time?

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #831 Pelefan, Oct 11, 2015
    I have been following both US and Philippine football for decades(longer I think than Miguel David, the Philippine source for the article above) and am quite aware of how far Philippine football has come. Although there is a still a lot room for improvement, I have seen a lot of progress from the days when the various national teams was moribund, not participating in international tournaments, football fields were being torn down from lack of interest and sponsors, broadcasters and media coverage was almost non existent.

Now thanks to the Azkals and the UFL, football has regained its rightful place in the sports pages of numerous national publications, sponsors albeit modest compared to basketball have appeared to support the federation and the UFL, national telecasts of the national team and professional league have been a regular occurrence(although sometimes on a delayed basis), football fields(especially synthetic pitches) have been springing up everywhere, and both players and fans have been steadily growing(although still modest compared to other football crazy countries in the region).

Sure it is an upward struggle because of the immense popularity of basketball in the country, but knowing what it was like before, I am actually quite encouraged by the progress made in the short amount of time since 2010 when the surge of interest started.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #832 Pelefan, Oct 11, 2015
    I think they have a very good chance of making the Asian Cup. The AFC has changed the format recently and has combined the early stages of the WC and Asian Cup qualifiers. The new qualification structure will take place in three stages, with the first two merging with the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification.[2] In the first round, the lowest ranked teams will play home-and-away over two legs to reduce the total number of teams to 40. In the second round, the 40 teams will be divided into eight groups of five to play home-and-away round-robin matches, where the eight group winners and the four best group runners-up will qualify for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup finals. In the third round, the next best 24 teams eliminated from second round will be divided into six groups of four and compete for the remaining slots of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.

Even if the Philippines doesn't make it past the 2nd round of the combined WC/Asian Cup qualifiers(by topping their group or being among the 4 best 2nd placed teams), they should easily make it among the next best placed 24 teams to the third round of Asian Cup qualification, and judging from their performances so far, in that 3rd round, they have a very good chance of being among the final 12 teams from that round that will make the Asian Cup in 2019.

Participation in the Asian Cup should raise the profile of the Azkals even higher. I am sure the media would cover them quite extensively and that will help gain them both potentail sponsors and fans.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

New York (U.S.A. - New York) Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 11:00:00 AM EDT UTC-4 hours
    San Jose (U.S.A. - California) Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 8:00:00 AM PDT UTC-7 hours
    Manila (Philippines) Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 11:00:00 PM PHT UTC+8 hours

USAMEX10 repped this.
  9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #834 Pelefan, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    FT Bahrain 2-0 Philippines
    looks like all the travelling(60 hours) and lack of training finally caught up with the Philippines. It is going to be tough to advance to the third round of WC qualifying now. Soon the focus might have to shift to Asian Cup qualifying.

Depressing result today for the Azkals. Fortunately the Redwings won again tonight and the Cubs made the NLCS which picked me up for the rest of the day.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Muller will start at goalkeeper

sports.inquirer.net/198598/muller-to-start-at-goalkeeper-for-azkals-vs-yemen#ixzz3rBi2KgbW

Roland Muller will get the start at goalkeeper when the Philippine Azkals battle Yemen on Thursday at Rizal Memorial Coliseum.

Azkals coach Thomas Dooley said on Wednesday that Muller will start in lieu of Neil Etheridge, who was hampered by a leg injury during the training camp.

“I don’t want to take any risk,” Dooley said on Wednesday at the prematch press conference at Manila Hotel. “Roland had an excellent training session yesterday. He did an excellent job. He looked sharp, very quick. The way that I saw him in the Challenge Cup, he was outstanding over there.”

Etheridge had his first practice with the team on Tuesday, but was limited in his time on the pitch.

Dooley said, “He’s not 100-percent, and it’s still unknown if it holds for the game or not. So for me, it’s a reason that he’s not going to play.”

This would be the first time in the 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifiers that Etheridge won’t be the last line of defense for the Azkals.

Phil Younghusband(due to suspension) and Luke Woodland(club duties) will be unavailable for this game.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    26 March 2016
    Dooley eyes contract extension

By: Cedelf P. Tupas

INCHEON—If he had it his way, coach Thomas Dooley would like to keep his post as Philippine Azkals coach.
    The German-American tactician told the Inquirer that his contract with the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) will expire after the North Korea game on Tuesday. An extension has yet to be concretely discussed.
    “I don’t want to be anywhere else than to work with the guys and be part of something we are building for Philippine football,” said Dooley in a brief chat during the team’s stopover at Incheon International Airport. “But that is not my decision to make.”

Dooley took the Azkals job in February 2014 after impressing manager Dan Palami and PFF general secretary Ed Gastanes in an interview. It was his first national team coaching stint after a storied professional and international career in the German league as well as with the US.
    Among the highlights of Dooley’s stint are a runner-up finish in the AFC Challenge Cup and a semifinal appearance in the AFF Suzuki Cup in 2014. Cedelf P. Tupas

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/209655/dooley-eyes-contract-extension#ixzz441gIubBZ

[​IMG]

deuteronomy, Winoman and USAMEX10 repped this.
  12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Just found out that the Philippines won 3-2 over North Korea in an upset.Both teams were going for a win tonight, and after achieving a 0-0 draw away in N Korea, the Azkals wanted to win this won at home to finish group play with a flourish. Happy to hear they accomplished their goal. They did this without fear and playing attacking football all the way. Next up more upsets in AC qualifying 3rd round play.

With this win, Dooley just gave himself a big boost in his quest in keeping his job as Azkals head coach.

The Philippines finishes 3rd in the 2nd round of AC/WC qualifying and qualifies automatically to the 3rd round of Asian Cup qualifying.

(TxT) and Gorky repped this.
  13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Hopefully the North Koreans players are not going to be sent to labor camp after their disappointing finish like it was rumored to have happened in the past in WC qualifying.

The Philippines only allowed North Korea a point in group play against them achieving a 0-0 result in the away game in Pyongyang as well as the 3-2 win at home. In the rest of group play, North Korea had 5 wins and a single away loss to Uzbekistan in this round and had a 4-2 win over Uzbekistan at home. So if it weren't for the Philippines they might be in the WC qualifying third round too.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    PHILIPPINE men’s football team manager Dan Palami hinted that a contract extension is in order for coach Thomas Dooley after the Azkals finished their World Cup/Asian Cup second-round qualifying campaign on a high note on Tuesday night.

Dooley earlier expressed his desire to stay on at the helm after his contract would expire on Tuesday, capping it off by steering the Filipino booters to a 3-2 upset win over North Korea at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.

“We have to talk about it, but personally, I’m happy with the way coach Dooley has been handling the team,” Palami said after the match. “I think he deserves a contract extension.”

The 54-year-old Dooley, who has hired in February 2014 and signed a two-year extension the following year, has led the Azkals to numerous breakthroughs, including a runner-up finish in the Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup.

The German-American mentor, a former US World Cup skipper, added to his list of firsts as the Azkals beat North Korea, a two-time World Cup campaigner, for the first time.

“Of course, it’s (contract extension) dependent on the federation and myself can afford him if he wants something more,” Palami said with a smile.

“But as far as performance is concerned, I’m happy with what he has done for the team,” he added.

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/football/azkals/...otball-contract-extension#Pi2gU0JRECgsDBJ2.99

Winoman repped this.
  16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

Philippines, Australia, China soar up FIFA rankings
    The Philippines, Australia and China were the big movers in the latest FIFA rankings which were released on Thursday, moving up 19, 17 and 15 places respectively. [​IMG]

Thomas Dooley’s Azkals have moved up to 116th on the latest rankings with 300 points, following last month’s 3-2 victory over Korea DPR.

In fact, their latest ranking is the highest the Philippines have ever attained, improving on the 130th position they held in 2013.

The Azkals have improved steadily over the last decade, having been on the verge of dropping out of the top 200 in 2005.

In their most recent match, Australia thumped Tajikistan 7-0 before dispatching Jordan 5-1.

China, meanwhile, are up to 81st with 423 points, having beaten Qatar 2-0 and Maldives 4-0 at the end of last month.

It wasn’t all good news for the Asian contingent on the latest rankings, with Korea DPR (18), Turkmenistan (15), Palestine (14), Tajikistan (14), Myanmar (12), Brunei Darussalam (11) and Malaysia (eight) all dropping down several places.

Iran (42nd) remain the continent’s top-ranked team, closely followed by Australia (50th), Korea Republic (56th), Japan (57th) and Saudi Arabia (60th).

At the top of the rankings, Argentina have overtaken Belgium as the world’s best team, with Chile and Colombia – up two and four places respective – with World Champions Germany dropping down one place to fifth.

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/footba...ilippines-australia-china-soar-fifa-rankings/

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    07 April 2016
    Philippine Azkals record highest FIFA ranking at 116

By Cedelf Tupas

Buoyed by its stunning upset of North Korea and a creditable showing against Uzbekistan in its last two games, the Philippines climbed to its highest-ever position of No. 116 in the latest FIFA rankings.
    The Azkals made the biggest leap among Asian teams, moving up 19 places to their latest position, which team manager Dan Palami said only reflects the current form of the national side.
    On top of registering the biggest reversal of the qualifying round with a 3-2 win over North Korea last week at Rizal Memorial Stadium, the Azkals also reclaimed the billing as Southeast Asia’s top ranked nation ahead of Thailand which is at No. 119.

The Thais advanced to the 12-team final round of World Cup Qualifying while the Azkals got the next best thing with a third round spot in Asian Cup Qualifying.
    “I’m happy that our tireless efforts to improve the team has translated to a higher ranking,” said Palami who has bankrolled the side along with the Philippine Football Federation since 2010. “Our target was always to push Azkals to the Top 100 and get the team to play better and at a higher level against the stronger teams in Asia.”
    Palami said that winning the Suzuki Cup and qualifying for the Asian Cup in 2019 will be the next targets of the Azkals.
    “With our current ranking, we should aim high and believe that we can win the Suzuki Cup and qualify for the Asian Cup,” he added.

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/210457/philippine-azkals-record-highest-fifa-ranking-at-116#ixzz458dyazdR

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I have been hearing rumors that Dooley has agreed to an extension. Hopefully this is true as he has been doing a good job in the Philippines as national team coach which got me thinking. Do you guys know the longest period that a US manager has coached a specific national team abroad? I know that Steve Sampson coached Costa Rica and Bob Bradley Egypt, etc. Dooley has been in the Philippines now for more than 2 years(starting 2/14) and with the extension probably even longer. The way things are going he might stay long enough to set the record for an American coach managing a national team abroad, as I heard he is eager to lead this team to the Asian Cup in 2019 if he retains his position.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #844 Pelefan, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    It is not final as the contract has not been signed yet, but it seems a done deal. Dooley will be back.

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2016/04/18/1574134/dooley-retained-azkals-coach

Dooley retained as Azkals coach

Coach Thomas Dooley will still be at the helm as the Philippine Azkals shoot for a breakthrough in the 2016 Asean Football Federation Suzuki Cup and the AFC Asian Cup qualifiers.
    Dooley, whose contract expired last month, said talks with the Philippine Football Federation for an extension have been positive and they have agreed in principle to continue working together.
    “I’m staying,” Dooley said Saturday night after the UFL Cup finals between Global FC and Ceres.
    “I always said I want to stay and I wouldn’t believe that the federation doesn’t want to continue to work with me. So that’s why it was maybe easy to get together and talk and agree on two more years,” he added.
    Dooley took over in Feb. 2014, steering Phl XI to a silver medal in the AFC Challenge Cup and a semifinal appearance in Suzuki Cup. After his initial one-year deal, he was given an extension covering the second-round campaign of the joint World Cup-Asian Cup qualifying tournament, which ended last March.

The next targets have been set.

“Going to the Suzuki Cup final and winning the Suzuki Cup, that obviously would be nice. Then qualifying for the Asian Cup,” said Dooley.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #845 Pelefan, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    [​IMG]

THOMAS Dooley has agreed in principle to a two-year deal to stay on as coach of the Philippine Azkals, who will be gunning for a first AFF Suzuki Cup title when the country hosts the tournament in November.

Dooley, who watched the United Football League Cup finals won by Global FC at the expense of Ceres-La Salle at Rizal Memorial Stadium last Saturday, said his contract extension will be finalized by the Philippine Football Federation this week.

“We’ve had initial discussions and I’m staying for two more years,” said Dooley, who steered the Azkals to the biggest upset in history last month when they stunned North Korea, 3-2.

“I always said that I wanted to stay so that’s why it was easy to come together and talk.”

Dooley earned raves for steering the Azkals to impressive matches, particularly against stronger sides like Uzbekistan and Bahrain in the World Cup Qualifying.

The Azkals also reached their highest ranking of No. 114 this month, regaining the top ranking among Southeast Asian countries.
    But the Philippine team also suffered some stinging setbacks under his reign, including the home loss to Yemen and in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup final against Palestine in the Maldives.

Dooley said the Azkals are slated to play Syria, China and Kyrgyzstan during the international window this year, before they plunge into action in the AFF Suzuki Cup, which the country is hosting for the first time.

The coach said that they are targeting a first finals appearance in the Suzuki Cup, after three straight semifinal finishes, on top of qualification for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.

Read more: sports.inquirer.net/211230/dooley-stays-azkals-coach-another-two-years#ixzz46DUkjF6r

Winoman repped this.
  21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It is official. PFF president Nonong Araneta said Thomas Dooley has signed two-year extension to stay as Azkals coach.

USAMEX10, (TxT) and Gorky repped this.
  22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    02 May 2016
    Dooley remains Azkals gaffer after signing extension -

By Kevin Estrada
    MANILA--It's official!
    Thomas Dooley will stay as the Philippines' manager after signing a two-year extension with the Philippine Football Federation on Tuesday.
    Dooley's new contract came in time for a busy build-up for the Azkals ahead of the AFF Suzuki Cup as per multiple reports.
    In the reports, PFF President Mariano Araneta said that they are working out a friendly between the Azkals and La Liga's Espanyol in July and that Kyrgyzstan have confirmed to play two friendlies with the Azkals, with the home match set on Nov. 9 in Manila to prepare them for the ASEAN Championship later in the month.
    Apart from the former Soviet nation, Araneta told that the PFF have sent invitations to Iraq and Bahrain as well.
    Araneta also bared that the core of the squad that will play in Southeast Asia's showcase tournament will be coming from the UFL, as overseas-based booters like Neil Etheridge and Iain Ramsay might not be released by their clubs as the eleventh edition of the regional competition is set to kick off on Nov. 19, four days outside of the FIFA window.
    - See more at: http://www.dugout.ph/2016/05/dooley-remains-azkals-gaffer-after.html#sthash.t5tQuz3b.dpuf

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    05 May 2016
    Argentina hold as Philippines record personal best

With no A-international matches played in April, the May edition of the FIFA/Cola-Cola World Ranking provided a brief moment of security for teams eager to hold onto their top positions.
    All teams in the Top 50 maintained their positions this month, while the regional composition of said teams also remained unaffected since last month’s ranking. For May, UEFA has 30 teams in the Top 50, CONMEBOL 8, CAF 7, CONCACAF 3, AFC 2 and OFC.

Philippines reach personal best The Philippines may have failed to qualify for the next round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers in the AFC region, but the Azkals get to celebrate a milestone in the May Ranking. Thomas Dooley’s men moved up one rank this month to reach their best ever position on the FIFA/Cola-Cola World Ranking (115).

The next FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking will be published on 2 June 2016.
    http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...789429.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Philippines hosted the group stage matches for their AFF Championship (the biannual regional championship for ASEAN nations) in November. They drew 0-0 with Singapore, 2-2 with Indonesia, and lost 1-0 to Thailand and failed to advance.