Three Lion Pub

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Fanaddict, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Fox sports channel yesterday they had a show USL breakaway and they did a great segment on your 3 lion pub. We are very jealous in chicago.
    Sorry, didn't see prior topic on this when first posted.

2. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I saw that as well, verry veeerrry impressed. Who was that guy? and where did he get all that stuff?

3. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy doing the show was Andrew Bell, our media director. All of the memorobilia, is part of the personal collection of our majority owner, Tony Bakker. I didn't see the show, but Andrew, probably did his usual stellar job. It's always interesting to see players from other USL and MLS teams come into the pub and walk around looking and pointing at all of the stuff.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some it has been donated to the club from visiting teams. Most of it was bought by Tony Bakker, majority owner and the club through various auctions and the like.

There are a ton of things that weren't highlighted, like the turnstill bar table (a table made from an old turnstill from Tottenham's grounds if I'm not mistaken) Two actual "caps" from England players (Back when players were given a cap to wear when selected for their national team) and the Scarf room, a room with a pool table with over 120 scarves from around the world on the walls.

The pub is actually abouve the players locker room and in the stairwell leading up to hte pub, there are auto graphed jerseys from evey EPL team in order of the way the finsihed the season on the wall. The Crapper in the mens room has an Arsenal Jersey!

we are very lucky here in Charleston to have someone like Tony and the Battery organization.

mikey

5. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Chelsea jersey is in the lady's room...

6. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those caps belonged to Sir Stanley Matthews, circa 1950's era. I read an article on the pub and Tony said those caps were the most valuable items in the pub, around $60K for the pair. Although he went on to say the item of most importance to him was the personally ("To Tony:....") autographed Pele shirt.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely is a great collection. Nice stuff all down the hallway on the top level where you go into the suites and radio/TV room too. Can't remember which jerseys are in the bathrooms on that floor, but I remember being amused by them - and thinking that the New Jersey one in the hall really should have been in there instead :)

We found in 1999, that when you lose to the Battery, the owners are quite generous with their "payment" for your team's scarf. Just enough Guinness to wash away the pain :D

8. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas
    If every professional team in MLS and the USL had owners with this kind of passion for the game soccer's future here would be assured.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they had half the passion of Tony I would think soccer's future here would be assured.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I went down earlier this season and was not only lucky enough to enjoy the Three Lion Pub but meet Mickey and the rest of the Charleston supporters. They are all a real class act. Cheers amigos....:)

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chico good to see you back here on the baords. Hope your feeling better.

I like showing off our little slice of heaven. Its great when we get visitors from outside the US that enter the pub and can't beileve what they are seeing. All this in a small city in South Carolina. It would be a great addition at any club in the world. Plus that fact that so many players come up after the match to socialize makes it that much better.

side story that should be its own thread really but A couple weeks ago a pair of Battery fan got married at Blackbaud stadium. the ceremony was on the half way line and the guest sat in the stadium seats. Afterwords the Reception was held in the 3 Lions. sounds like a perfect place to me.

the couple meet at a Battery/United match at the CCC Two years ago and thought it would be the perfect place to have the wedding.

mikey.

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would have been Jason Clark, who is also a goalkeeper in the Battery Weeknight league. You might remember his sister Joselyn, who used to bartend in the pub during games.

13. Doooooley!

Doooooley! New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    My wife, who works for Blackbaud, had a lot to do with getting the new building and the stadium up and going. I had the opportunity to stroll through the 3 Lions just before the first match, but have never had the chance to sit and have a pint, since I'm not a club member.
    Are there ever days/nights when the pub is open to the public? When I visited, I didn't have long to look/admire, and would love to be able to.

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's open on Thursday nights during the fall and winter men's league games at the stadium.

15. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the adult league seasons, from time to time, the pub is open for special events. e.g. World Cup games (I know they're over but things like this), FA Cup final, some years they have an Open House during a preseason match, during matches that have torrential rain storms, etc.

But the adult league games are probably the most consistant times you can count on.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes it sound like the guy married his sister :) This is South Carolina, NOT North Carolina (where that is common) ;)

I've drank in the pub I think 6 times, and never belonged, although once I did have to show a day-pass - you just have to look like you should be there when you walk in, they're way too friendly to turn you away :)

17. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    I visited the website of Battery. Looks very cool. Cool classic shirts, fantastic logo and a good looking pub. You guys are an example to : "how to promote a soccerclub". Most other clubs have idiot designed t-shirts, ridicilous logos and weirdo names. CBattery shows how it should be, but that's personal opinion!:cool: :cool:

18. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cool: Totally agree with your assessment! The Battery is my USL 1 division team. I plan to make the 5 1/2 hr drive to see one of their home games before the season is out.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better hurry! only a couple more schedule home matches this year of course if we get through FC Dallas on Wed. we get a match on Aug 23 vs the winner of the Huston/Carolnia Dynamo match

let me know when your in town and Ill try to hook ya up.

Mikey

20. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas is coming to town this Wednesday for a US Open Cup match

21. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do! I appreciate that. I certainly can use a soccer fix (and a pint!):D
    Good luck against Dallas.