Thomas Müller

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Sep 19, 2009.

1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i have no idea. he's a bayern player which means if he does well it's good for the national team, if he doesn't its a good laugh. ;)

2. Viper87

Viper87 Member

Oct 13, 2008
    No doubt about it. His finishing is very good, but other than that he has no special ability. He is more the working type of player. Btw i think he needs a break. That was yet another terrible performance yesterday.

3. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I don't care for him, like I mentioned here a few times already I don't like him.
    It's not even rational. :D

He just rubs me the wrong way but I an't really put my finger on it.

4. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think nobody will talk about a possible nomination of him in March if he continues to play like he did in the last weeks. Not a single good U21 performance, his league form is getting worse and worse and he looks...well...a bit cocky.

5. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Other than Van Buyten, every Bayern player is sub par.

As i've said, Thomas Mueller and Van Gaal need to realize his best positon and work from there. Rotating n playing him at different positions every other week won't help either.

Last game he was truly impressive was against Frankfurt in DFB Pokal, scored a goal and some assists, about 3 weeks ago i guess?

Adrion tried to use him as a targetman while Van Gaal uses him as LM/RM........not his best positions for sure.

6. rudetackle

rudetackle New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Müller does not have the natural skill and ability that Özil or Kroos possess, those two are in a different realm in terms of talent. However, he has good pace, strong finishing ability, a solid understanding of the game, and, by all accounts, a great work ethic. This is a solid foundation for any player.

While his last couple of games have been rather disappointing, it is understandable. Bayern as a whole have been struggling, from the management to the players. The team lacks confidence, play is uninspiring. For a 20 year old to come in and assume creative leadership in midfield might be too much to ask. Bayern is not the environment where a young player can dazzle with a carefree performance when things are not going well. There is simply too much pressure on the team as whole.

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ok sweet

i really hadnt seen him play so i didn't know

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What do you guys think, is it funnier or more depressing how quickly players are hyped up and then crucified?

9. rudetackle

rudetackle New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    It's more frustrating than anything else, because it simply can't have a good effect on the player. The (tabloid) media, Bild being the biggest culprit in Germany, tends to resort to hyperbolism as this creates more attention. That, however, prevents any proper rational analysis.

Nowadays, players have to deal with a plethora of media outlets, from web to print to broadcast. It becomes increasingly difficult to just tune out everything and focus on one's development. We tend to forget that not all players develop at the same pace, some take their time while others excel at a younger age.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The crucifying in Germany is the problem, not the so called hype.

11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes because calling him up after 4 good games for Bayern in his first ever professional career isn't hype.

12. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In this case you really can't blame the media for it. Its not like anyone demanded that Löw should call him up. He did get praise by the media (he plays for Bayern afterall) but its not like anyone said he is gonna be the next Beckenbauer.
    It was actualy a surprise for everyone when Löw mentioned Müller so if anything its just another case of Löw's inconsistency.
    In one case he says that players have to perform over a longer period (that was his main argument not to nominate Kießling earlier) but then you have someone like Müller who is called up after a dozen games.

I could understand it if we talk about a rly exceptional talent but with no offense to Müller he isnt such a talent (doesnt mean he cant become a great player anyways but thats a different story) or if we would desperatly need more options on a certain position.
    Sad thing is that we could actualy need better CB's and have some rly good, young and talented ones but there Löw simply refuses to nominate Hummels or Höwedes.

13. rudetackle

rudetackle New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Löw's decision making process does seem a bit arbitrary at times. Hummels or Höwedes for the center, and Castro (who is having a strong season) for the sides, would have been sensible call-ups to reinforce the back unit...but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    saw this clip on youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKOfFoP41LQ"]YouTube- All Goals By Thomas Müller Of The First Half Season 2009-2010.flv[/ame]

Cheesy background music...........very cheesy

The young man really knows how n where to score goals. I hope we'll see more of him at SS/CF (Gomez n Olic's primary backup) later this season.

But too bad the BL is not the easiest place for young strikers to develop. Teams either prefer playing with experienced CFs or switch to a one-CF formation. Its kinda odd because coaches actually prefers to play with young CBs (Badstuber, Hummels, Howedes, J.Boateng) to young CFs. I am saying this because CBs should be less mistake prone, but coaches still do not want to take risks on young forwards

Therefore, striker prospects like Thomas Mueller, Grosskreutz, Schurrle, Choupo-Moting, Terrazzino n maybe Podolski n Hunt have to play at more withdrawn positions...maybe at AM or on the flanks.

Their potential at certain areas of the game will be wasted. For Thomas Mueller, Bayern should really take advantage of his great finishing, positioning n off-the-ball movement.

Traditional CFs are less popular in the BL nowadays. Attacking players are required to have a certain degree of versatility to play at different positions up front, good examples are Elia, Torun, Zidan n Marko Marin. But traditional CFs with great potential but bad versatility like Sukuta-Pasu, Alessandro Riedle, Testroet, Ginczek and Thy will face stiff competition than ever. This is going to be a very diffcult environment for these players

15. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Every club plays with at least one traditional CF and has one or more in their line-up... Hamburg has Berg and Petric, Werder has Pizarro, Rosenberg and Almeida, even Klopp signed Barrios after mobbing Frei away. But you are right, especially if you play with wingers and just 1 CF, it's an extremely important position and clubs rarely rely on unproven talent there.

But I believe it's the same for center backs, it's just timing/coincidence that we currently got a lot of young players playing there. CBs usually start out at the sideline as fullbacks - a couple of years ago Westermann didn't stand a chance in Schalkes center, he was played on the wing, so was and often still is Boateng in Hamburg, in Bremen Prödl also only gets a chance at the center in case of injurys, and even then he plays RB often enough...

Dortmund had 2 very old centerbacks with a horrible season and without too much money, they were willing to risk something. At Bayern, Badstuber benefitted from Demichelis injury and Lucio leaving, and he still plays left defender often enough - though I and many other people were and are wondering why Bayern didn't buy a replacement for Lucio. At Schalke, Krstajic grew old and no money was available to buy a replacement, though I admit it's interesting that Westermann is usually still used as fullback or dm, and they trusted Höwedes with the CB position instead of the other way around - though looking at their talents, it's simply that Westermann is just better suited at a position with less defensive responsibility and a bit more freedom to go forward.

16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sky Sports Scout:Bayern Munich starlet Thomas Muller

Latest under our scout's gaze is German youngster Thomas Muller - recommended by Sky Sports reader Jan Denns.

NAME: Thomas Muller
    BORN: Weilheim, Germany
    POSITION: Forward
    CLUB: Bayern Munich
    FACTS: Called up to senior German squad three months after his debut for U21s.
    The scout reports...

Thomas Muller joined Bayern as a ten-year-old, and he is now theirs and Germany's big hope for the future.
    He first came to prominence in 2007 when he led the Bayern Under-19 to their cup final, courtesy of 18 goals.
    He was promoted to the reserve squad the year after, but also began training with the first-team squad under Jurgen Klinsmann's tutelage.
    Muller was then handed his first-team debut at the start of the 2008 season - although he primarily spent the campaign with Bayern's second-string.
    He was handed a two-and-half-year deal early in 2009 and it was not long before Louis van Gaal made him a first-team regular, and he showed his promise with two-goals at Borussia Dortmund in a 5-1 win.
    Later that year he was handed a fresh deal by Bayern taking him through to 2013. Also at the end of 2009, Muller was handed his German Under-21 debut, and just months after that he was called-up to the senior squad by Joachim Low.
    Quick in foot and mind, Muller has the ability to play anywhere in midfield and attack, and his versatility makes him a hugely valuable asset.
    Although his passing is an excellent feature of his game, his finishing is also a particular highlight - making him an all-round forward and a huge threat to any opposition.

The scout says...

A brilliant campaign now means Muller will certainly be on the flight to South Africa and deservedly so.
    Having come through the Bayern youth system, he hasn't had the publicity of the likes of Ozil, Marin or even Bayern team-mate Kroos - but Muller could easily prove to be the best of Germany's new generation of stars.

The Scout rating...

Shooting: 9 out of 10
    Passing: 8 out of 10
    Tackling: 7 out of 10
    Heading: 6 out of 10
    Pace: 8 out of 10
    Vision: 6 out of 10
    Current ability: 8 out of 10
    Potential ability: 10 out of 10
    OVERALL SCOUT RATING: 62/80
    Current value: £8million
    Potential value: £30million

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Kirsten19's rating...

Shooting
    : 9 out of 10
    Passing: 6 out of 10
    Tackling: 6 out of 10
    Heading: 6 out of 10
    Pace: 7 out of 10
    Vision: 8 out of 10
    Current ability: 7 out of 10
    Potential ability: 9 out of 10
    OVERALL SCOUT RATING: 58/80
    Current value: £7million
    Potential value: £16million

18. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow, if i were to fix this post I wouldn't know where to start!

Mueller looks like a patched up footballer compared to oezil and kroos

19. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Different.........Müller plays at forward, and more of a goal poacher. His hustling, off-the-ball movement, mobility, versatility and finishings are something that can be valuable assets to the team. and i seriosuly think some of these qualities are Ozil and Kroos not very good at

Don't really wanna compared him to Ozil or Kroos since both players are midfielders really. Even i think both of them are talented, this season also clearly shows what their weaknesses are. (i.e. Ozil's consistency, poor shooting and finishing, poor defensive game at midfield. Kroos has almost zero explosiveness, not very versatile, also lack defensive game and need to gain some lb before he can be more competitive in the midfield)

I think Thomas Müller can be a good forward in the future. And if its a 4-4-2, it doesn't have ANY conflict with Ozil and Kroos at all. van Gaal uses him as a supporting forward beside Olic these days.

16 goals and 14 assists, i call that an achievement for his debut season for sure.

Really, i have no idea why people are just comparing players in differnt position . Do u compare Hummels to Kroos? or Howedes to Marin? or Neuer to Choupo-Moting even?

I still see ALL Hummels(CB), Boateng(CB), Howedes(CB), Contento(LB), Marin(RW/LW), Reus(RW), Kroos(AM), Ozil(AM), Thomas Müller(SS/CF) and maybe Sukuta-Pasu(CF) as future hopes of German football.

20. Viper87

Viper87 Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Wow, first hattrick.

Anyone who thinks that Mueller will be benched next season will eat his words.

I think Kroos will have a very difficult time in munich, and perhaps he will leave at the end of next season.

21. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Müller performs well as forward not as midfield player so its more a question what kinda system van Gaal wants next season.
    And while its impressive what Müller shows in his first season one shouldn't forget Kroos potential. Müller might have the potential to become a player of international class but more? Very unlikely.
    Kroos on the other hand has everything to become one of the best of his generation and he did have overall a better season than Müller.
    People often tend to ignore that Müller had a lot of rly bad games in the CL and was very often invisible in the BL.

Besides that is it also a possibility that both will play. Müller has his strength upfront where he can score so why not have Kroos to give Müller some nice assists? :eek:
    I seriously can't see someone like Kroos fail under a coach like LvG who likes players with such abilities.

22. Viper87

Viper87 Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Thats the same with Kroos.

Just to make it clear, i'm a fan of Kroos (probably some have noticed) But i just don't see vG benching Müller. He trusted him throughout the whole season, even after bad games. Kroos will get playing time for sure, but he definetely wont become a starter for most of the games.

23. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we are talking about really bad games then Ozil should be number 1 this season.

Muller has done VERY well in his first season coming in as probably 4th choice striker behind experienced folks like Klose, Gomez and Olic currently he is Bayerns top scorer for the season.

Show me a player who has done better in his rookie season

24. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No it isnt and thats exactly what I mean, people simply expect more of Kroos and an average Müller performance would be considered as a weak game of Kroos.
    Look at the average kicker ratings for example.
    Kroos: 2,84 (only Robben is better from the midfielders)
    Müller: 3,33

Thats quite a gap. Someone like Marco Reus has for example a 3,38.
    Now one can complain about kicker ratings but for me they are a better indication than the perception of one single person and other sport sources have similar ratings of both players.

LvG already benched Müller in some games and if he sees more quality in Kroos he will use Kroos, simple as that.
    Lets not forget that Müller played that much also because Ribery and/or Robben were often missing. Then there was also quite some injury time of Olic/Klose/Gomez and Müller didnt have any competition for the OM position (LvG even tested Baumjohann and Klose there).
    Currently Müller is becoming more and more a forward and Kroos can play LM, RM and OM so there should be enough opportunities for both.
    LvG also hasn't made a secret of the fact that he prefers a system which a creative midfielder (playmaker) in the center.

25. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When Robben and Ribery are back as we see now, Muller plays and Gomez sits.

Kicker ratings for Kroos are more of a hype and bandwagon thing. No matter how bad Kroos plays he doesnt get a 4.

When Kroos plays bad, his fans would blame the system and coach but when Muller is deployed on LW or RW and plays bad, we all conclude he is mediocre.

Kroos doesnt even have Mullers workrate though much more talented. But guess what, Ivica Olic isnot the most talented striker in Bayern either