Thomas Müller

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boateng had a disapointing season so far, Badstuber is thetter in form player.

2. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Löw is just saying this to motivate players. I don't think that he would bring this topic up by himself, he was probably asked by this newspaper and just answered politely...

Badstuber...come on :rolleyes:

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why not? If he can hold his starter for Bayern over the season and plays well in Champions League?

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you want to call up a young cb then Tasci, Boateng, Höwedes and Hummels are better choices. They are more experienced and more talented.

5. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    they're all better...Bayern can cover its weak defense at the moment with the help of their great offense. But this won't work against quality opponents in the CL.

6. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Müller is an utility player, he could also just get one of the midfield spots IF he becomes rly an option for Löw.

Besides that did Löw not say more than its always possible that players LIKE Müller/Badstuber can make it if they play a very good season and that's tbh what one should expect, no reason to say that the selection of players is already final.

7. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    To be honest, consider the options we currently have (e.g. Westermann, Tasci, Metzelder, Huth....etc), the NT need some decent CBs more than Thomas Mueller.

Thomas Mueller manages to impress everytime he plays but there are 4-5 better strikers in the NT.

Whereas, after so many years, We still cannot find a decent partner for Mertesacker. Badstuber is ok, but nothing special. I think either of Howedes (who plays everywhere but CB this season), Boateng (Does well for the Youth NT but pretty average for HSV) or Hummels will be ok.

It cannot be any worse than Westermann at Cb anyway

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

And again, his best position should be at SS. As Gerd "Der Bomber" Muller has said, Thomas Mueller has the clinical finishing, great off-the-ball movement and positioning. These attributes will be wasted if he is used as a winger/midfielder.

He can play there of coz, just like the other better SS (I think i've seen Baggio at AM, and both Del Piero/Raul at LM) But he won't be as effective imo, though still pretty impressive.

The "second forward" position may be a bit obsolete, since teams tend to play only one striker these days. But i think if there is any chance Thomas Muller will be nominated, he will be picked as a forward.

Loew is very likely to bring 5 strikers. Thomas Mueller should be one of the top 7 options. But at midfield, it may be too competitive for the youngster as there are so many players ahead of him in the pecking order.

In such an important tournament, "utility men" are important as they have the versatility to play various positions in case of injuries and suspension. We already have Podolski and Westermann. Kiessling who is in great form this season can be another utility player.

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doesn't matter. Boateng is the better player and better prospect, there is no question about that. We've all seen how good Boateng can be, with both HSV and the youth NT.

Yea exactly. He says the team for the WC isn't mapped out yet but it pretty much is if you think about it. Barring any injuries one can easily draw up the 23 names that will travel to South Africa.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not my idea/opinion to bring in Badstuber's name.. But Boateng is not ready to start for the seniors.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boateng is certainly more ready than any other young defender in the country other than Hoewedes. Hell, can you really say it would make much of a difference the way our defense is looking now?

Loew brings young players into the mix in other positions, why not central defense? It's one area that actually needs it.

12. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Who is ready? Despite age, i think Westermann, Huth, Tasci, Metzelder aren't ready for the CB position either.

I personally think Tasci is a good footballer, has decent football IQ for a player of his age but he is too mistake prone at CB; Westermann is a joke at CB. And these two are Loew's favourite CB partner of Mertesacker.

Boateng certainly has a higher ceiling than any of the mentioned players. Inconsistent yes, but thats the problem of most youngsters anyway. Though last season Micah Richards didn't impress either. But Boateng did show promise and i think he is a very capable CB talent. Very versatile as well

13. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
  14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Awesome news. Time for Mueller to make a case for himself. Chile is certainly going to be a tough test the way they've been playing.

I also hope Hoewedes and Hummels get their shot. Thats about enough for youngsters until after the WC in my opinion.

17. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Media pressured decision. Wonder how he'll do. If Kiessling doesn't get called up and Muller does, it will be a sad day in football.

18. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    Although Müller has been making a name for himself. Kiessling has been not only better, but is also very complete and could be a very importante asset to our NT. Especially because he also pretty much plays the lone striker role at Leverkusen. Even if we let this aside, his callup has been long overdue.

19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well if its media pressure then Kiessling will get called up for sure, no one went crazier over his ommission than the German football press.

20. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Müllers advantage is the new NT formation and his versatility. He is the kind of player we currently need but still surprised that Löw would nominate him that fast.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what a joke. being bayern players is enough for badsturber and mueller to get mentions from loew. What happened to Kiessling, hummels and hoewedes? I'd rather have those 3 in the squad. Kroos deserves to go more than mueller at the moment. At least he's played more and in more teams.

22. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    to be fair Löw did mention that players like Höwedes and Hummels are on his list.

Kroos can't be compared to Müller. Müllers main advantage is that he can play kinda all positions in the offensive area and there are not many options for the right side. Besides that he can also be a backup for Özil and he offers a better balance than Marin as sub.

If Kroos starts regularly for Leverkusen and shows good performances he will show up on Löw's radar too.

23. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is that some kind of reward for his very poor debut in the U21? Must be a real slap in the face of other players who deserve a call-up a lot more (i.e. Kießling)!

Müller may be the surprise of the season so far and a great talent ... but hey, since when is it so easy to become a A national player (just one U21 match)? :rolleyes:

24. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes because Effe and the big man Muller himself criticize Loew for not calling him up, maybe I'm missing someone else whose been hyping him up as well? This is a stupid decision, but I understand it considering Loew completely caved in in terms of pressure to get the boy to play. He is nowhere near deserving a nomination, there are tons more players that should of been called over him.