This is ARIS! The Continuing Quest of Freddy Adu.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by alky13, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

^^^ALOT of your post seems to lack personal knowledge of what was the deal when he went to monaco, and belenenses. Also did it ever occur to you that MAYBE he wasnt used by those coaches because they had other players in mind that they bring with them?

When ever there are regime changes, there are always favorite players they drag along.

And with adu and the amount of hype he has had, every coach in the WORLD has a personal opinion on him, either good or bad, at this point most are probably bad lol beyond the coach that brought him to benfica.

To summarize what happened in Monaco, he was brought to them because of Marketing purposes, with a american in their FO, they thought it a smart move to bring him, with their coach not even wanting him in the first place, never playing him yet always promising him that he is on 'the bubble' as americans like to say.

Similarly at Belenenses, he was only used as a starter once, and then barely played a role following that. The coach there said, since he was on a loan, and didnt see a signifigant difference between him and the players that are on the team already, he rather give playing time to the guys that play his same possession, or in other words, he wasnt a world class player enough, although possibly better then his counter part, coach rather play HIS players instead of freddy, since he was on loan, same goes with all the other loaned players which all had trouble getting minutes.

Its been talked about adnausium (sp) in the last couple adu threads. Just wanted to summarize for you, to catch you up on things I am sure you didnt know quite as much.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No flames here folks-- TJM has a very valid point that Freddy is yet to prove it to anyone. That's Freddy's job now-- to prove his doubters wrong. I sure hope he will, but he hasn't yet.

As to the discussion of Freddy vs. Sacha above, their performance is not the right indicator of Bradley's favor. Sacha is an IDEAL Bob Bradley player, even more so than Mike Bradley. Sacha moves the ball quickly off his feet, plays space and high pressure very well and is always looking for a "fast break" anytime he touches the ball. In fact, I'll go so much as to say that if Sacha's feet ever catch up to his brain, he'll have a very successful European club career. Still waiting for that to happen too.

3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Which would have been fine, had he simply stated as much instead of coming in and being a drive by [personal attack deleted by mod]

4. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thank you. Now if you could actually conduct yourself as an adult that would be much more reasonable. ;)

5. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    LOL. No flames? He repeated 3 times that "7 coaches" think Freddy sucks. It's just inflammatory B.S., and not worth much response. Hopefully he didn't derail the thread too much.

6. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    In related news, Landon Donovan isn't good enough to play for Bayern Munich's reserves in the third division.

7. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thank you for writing an actual good analysis instead of drivel. Good post.

Adu just seems like the Alex smith of the USMNT fans like alex is to 49er fans. The excuses dont end. Just an observation ive made when looking at the USMNT boards and just talking to fans in general on the streets.

Of course I know regime changes affect players, Under Benfica Adu was under 5 Coaches (Santos, Camacho, Chalana, Flores, and Jorge Jesus). Santos who obviously brought him in used him quite a lot and he played well at times for us (mostly in a reserve roll) Under the rest he was completely shut out and exiled...that could be for a lot of reasons ie: He doesnt figure into their plans or Maybe Adu isn't a practice player. Adu has never struck me as a problem child or a misfit but who knows what happens behind closed doors when the frustration builds up.

I knew about the Monaco issue and their wanting to cash in on his american hype. However, I was never able to confirm if that was a fact or not...it was just one of those water cooler conversations that people would talk about. If you could, could you provide a link to make that claim fact? Not trying to be an asshole im just wanting assurance for this. Has adu ever came out and said anything about it?

At Belenenses he was sent packing on his first training session with Toni the new Belenenses manager. I dont know about you but that kinda sums up his adventure in Europe thus far. He started one game in what I believe was a Carlsberg cup game where teams typically use their subs. The players that played the same position as adu are for a lack of a better word: Crap. The only one that possibility has potential is Fredy, Yet adu saw little or no time. Adu went through 2 coaches at Belenenses and I believe the person you're attributing that quote to was Antonio Conceciao, the guy who waived him on his first day. How about Joao Carlos Pereira? He was there and basically saw nothing in adu to be honest, Adu at times didnt even make the bench. I find that shocking from a team that has needs at exactly the same position that adu plays. Logic would say that he wasnt impressing but of course everyone has to find a silver lining in something.

Like I said before Good post man.

8. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im sorry it was more like 9 managers. Honest mistake.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^At this point i have no quotes or anything from his monaco move, it would take too much time lol to even find anything concrete, so you can take taht as you will. But for SURE, his coach wasnt interested in him, but it seemed adu was getting on his good side, as he would tell his fans through his twitter that he was reassuring him playing time (ricardo gomes i think was his coach). He never ended up playing though, god konws why. Your guess is as good as mine.

His time in belenenses is the same, as we were pretty much in the dark, and didnt get much translation/ much insider info about waht was going on. Again your guess is as good as mine. Although we have heard that he possibly was not looked as a good option because of his lack of defending, and we were told by another porgueese poster that lower level portugeese teams play UGLY defensive counterattacking style, which asks ALOT of defending from their players, which is adu's BIGGEST problem. But yea.... thats what we all think, but we arent sure.

Beyond that though, we are in luck, as i stated earlier in this thread or maybe another. These aris' fans are SERIOUS, and LOVE their club and ALL have insider info on players, talk to them, etc. They WILL tell us ANYTHING that adu does, good or bad.

SO far it seems that Cuper brought him in because he liked him as a player, no gimmicks for selling jerseys, or taking him in because he was looking for a team, they had to WORK to get him to Aris', not the other way around, with benfica trying to find ANY suiter like it was with belenenses. Aris is the real deal, and his last time probably before he will head to MLS again if he fails here too.

One things for sure, we will hear about it straight frmo the mouth of the fans, and people around him. No rumors or hype for the most part. Keep an eye out on this thread, it will get interesting. Thats why i am fascinated by adu, he is an enigma.

10. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cuper has a good track record, lets see what happens. As for the lower level clubs...Outside of the Big 3 and Braga and Guimaraes, Maritmo, Nacional..the lower level teams are very un-tactfully sound. The Leixoes and Belenenses of the world will always be fighting for relegation because of that.

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

lol. REP.

12. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

I think some of you conclusions are shaded by perceptions that are not accurate. As I understand it, (and of course I could be wrong) he never even trained with the new manager & the change was in the works prior to the management change, if Adu is to be believed. I could point out a few other incontinences with facts but the point is the same, if you color the facts to fit the story you can make any conclusion sound reasonable.

13. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Thread winner.... short, simple, truth

14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the irony! :rolleyes:

15. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My entry: "The Aris-ted Development of Adu"

16. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Freddy Adu on twitter:

Actually, it's in an hour.

We 'll let u know about what's been said.

17. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
  18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would be 1:30 Greece time, right?

19. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    right

20. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  21. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I vote for this one....or more simply "Aris-ted Development".

22. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    FREDDY ADU OFFICIAL PRESENTATION

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Freddy's
    statements:

Aris' Board of Directors member, Agapitos Valogiorgis said:

The statements are translated by me, based on what it's written in:
    http://arisfm.gr/article.php?node_id=1654

7 people repped this.
  23. emoney

emoney Member

May 10, 2008
    Bozeman, Montana
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    well that was a nice introduction! everything sounded genuine. Hopefully it works out for him

24. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys, any audio/video of the event yet?

Sounds to me like he's going to get a real chance this time, but let's wait and see...:cool:

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    NICE!!! Actual news.

Is there a picture of the coach? I want to see this Cuper guy.