Thinking Ahead to 2019

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 15, 2015.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's the best mascot in the history of any World Cup.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ettie is the daughter of the France 98 mascot Footix.

For those who don't know Footix has entered the French language after the WC and is a very pejorative word for badwagoners.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Plaease, explain better how it entered the language, I am very interested in this kind of questions. :geek:

Also, please someone post visual material (pics or video) for both mascots.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well there was a very hard press campaign by all the papers and magazine against coach Aime Jacquet back in 98.

General public only got behind the team from the QF onwards. And all bandwagoners then claimed they were fans from the beginning. And because the mascot was well disliked those fans got called footix.

cpthomas and blissett repped this.
  5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The FIFA video game needs to incorporate mascots like this in the game, and let it be Mascot XI vs. Mascot XI. It would be hilarious.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least she's not weird looking like the creepy owl that Canada picked.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    .....completely random piece of trivia that I just realized:

in 7 tournaments to date, there have been exactly 7 different unique 2nd-place finishers.

If we don't have a new finalist (ENG, NED, AUS) or have a previous non-winning finalist (BRA, CHN, SWE) make the final, we're guaranteed to break that pattern. To be fair, guaranteed-to-break-the-pattern means getting a final between two of the four previous winners, so it's a tiny pool, but still.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope to get a Japan vs whatever final. doesn't matter if it breaks the pattern. :p

Edit: I will admit a third consecutive USA-Japan would be a little boring. :sleep:

9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    New Zealand vs. Italy in the 2019 WWC Final.

This would be great for the women's game.

[​IMG]

10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #85 sbahnhof, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Le Monde should've run a headline on Monday like "Today we are all Footixes" [​IMG]

(BTW shlj, while I was searching for that image, I genuinely saw your photo :eek: just because you wrote one article...)

(Edit) Removed link, in case it's a bad idea to post it?

blissett repped this.
  11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah although it is not hard to find me online, no need to show my picture ;)

12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Oh, I only linked to the article about Footixes. But then I wasn't sure if you wanted your real identity linked to on here?

(I'm quite tempted to get a Footix avatar now...)

Can we promise not to mock new woso fans as "Etties"? The sport kinda needs the support.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ticketing update :

Reminder the draw will be done two months later in Paris.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they seem to have the ticket sales/draw dates backwards?

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is always the same with any FIFA men or women world cup.

First batch of tickets always sold before the draw. I do remember the 2011 WC in Germany, when they were close to selling out the 3 germany group games before the draw was made.

In 98, when we got the men's WC we got discount on stadium passes on the first batch of sales. I think I paid 80 Francs per game ie 400 Francs for 5 games.

I bought the wrong stadium pass actually. So I didnt see France... I got the Parc des Princes one. Not the Stade de France one... mug.

sbahnhof, cpthomas and blissett repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, the draw always happens after. It was the same in Canada. Its helpful for those who want to attend all the matches at one stadium and for home fans, but not as helpful for those who are following a team.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would not be surprised if there is a pre-sale phase early October to the "football family" that what was done in previous tournaments. All people registered with the FFF players, referee, admins get a chance to buy tickets.

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Today the FFF, LOC and FIFA did the ticket sale launch in Paris :

As I previously mentioned the football family gets a pre-sale before the official online launch, same as in 1998

Some of the pricing in category 1 for all the cities

The cheapest ticket for Lyon ( both SF + 3rd place + final ) will be 50 € about $59

Ticket sale will start online on the 19th of October

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The pre-sale is opened for the people who have an FFF licence ( ie every player, admin etc...) via the football clubs and the local League offices

sbahnhof repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #95 shlj, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Note the Groupama Stadium at Lyon only gets 3 games :
    Both semi-finals and the final, the 3rd place play-off will take place in Nice. Unlike what was written in the previous post.

The full offer in details can be found here cities by cities.
    If you want to look at individual packs in details the FIFA ticketing website has it all in English

A reminder that the first phase of sales (before the draw) is aimed at the local fans, hence the selling of the different packages for each cities rather than any follow my team package.

apog, captdf and cpthomas repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If only I could be sure right now about the group of Japan or about the dates when I'll be sure to be free from work: for instance, I could try to buy tickets for the final (Lyon is close enough to Milano that I could figure staying just for the game on a Sunday), but I am not sure at all about the other games that happen on work-days. :x3: I work in a school and we're going to have final exams for one of my classes just in the days of WWC!!! :cry:

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks again for the info you're providing.

For WWC Canada 2015, the packages they sold were only for each city. There weren't "follow my team" packages.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think they had them in 2011? Not 100% sure. There will be a pre-sale for Visa card holders in December once the draw is made.
    Single tickets will go on sale in February.

24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Us is gonna win again unless I see major improvements of the likes of Japan, Netherlands, France...

25. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Organising Committee takes important decisions on FIFA Women’s World Cup

• proposal to increase the prize money for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019™, which will include preparation money for the first time, as well as funds for a Club Benefits Programme.
    The OC approved the procedures for the Draw for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019, which is due to take place in Paris on 8 December 2018, as follows:

• The teams will be allocated to pots according to the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women’s World Ranking to be released on 7 December 2018.
    • There will be four pots of six teams, which will be drawn into six groups of four teams. No two teams from the same confederation shall be drawn into the same group, with the exception of the European teams, represented by nine slots.
    • Each group must have at least one, but no more than two, European teams drawn into it: thus, three out of the six groups will have two European teams.
    Other topics:

• Tokyo 2020 – possible participation of the Great Britain women’s football team: FIFA has now received written confirmation from the four British associations, confirming their intention to allow a British women’s team to try to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020, and that England will be the nominated country to seek a qualification slot for Tokyo 2020 at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019. This agreement only applies for the women’s, and not the men’s, team.