They're called São Paulo not San Pablo

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Aguiao do Bay Area, Oct 11, 2007.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: Sao Paulo pentacampeón

Le ganó anoche al América de Natal 3-0 ante 70 mil personas con goles de Hernanes, Miranda y Dagoberto. Festejó con todo, a cuatro fechas del final.

More...

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol! At least BigSoccer Bot calls them Sao Paulo. But...he's not real.

3. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Sao Paulo is Sao Paulo. The argie press calls them San Pablo just to mess with the brazilians. I personally think what the argies are doing is stupid. Everybody in South American knows them Sao Paulo.

From now on I'm no longer going to call River Plate with the english pronounciation (River Plei), from now on i'm going to call them River Plah-teh and Boca Juniors i'm going to call Boca Hooniors.

4. Glavisted Big Soccer

Sep 24, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    O mejor aún, Río Plateado y Chicos de Boca :D.

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It pisses me off when they say San Pablo instead of São Paolo, weird thing is they say São Caetano but not "San Cayetano" following their criteria, which by the way is a very popular saint in Argentina, it's a bit strange. It also pisses me when they come up with things like "Wolfsburgo" instead of "Wolfsburg".

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The also say, "El Bayern de Munich" or "Borussia del Dortmund". They are nor "Bayern aus Muenchen" or "Borussia von Dortmund"

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right there.

Another one is when they mess up with the Arsenals, they call both by the english pronunciation but in reality the argentine one by the spanish pronunciation of the word arsenal.

Probably this case is a more complicated issue, personally i call the argentine one by the spanish pronunciation and the english one by the english pronunciation or adding "the(el, in spanish)" in front like "The Arsenal".

8. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    "Bayern de Münich" it's true, but I think Borussia Dortmund isn't called "del Dortmund" actually, it's really uncommon.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My mistake, not "del", but "de"...as in "Borussia de Dortmund". Same with "El Werder de Bremen".

I remember it from Fox Sport Americas when the Bundesliga was on it for South America while I lived there some time back.

I remember there was one player in particular that everytime they said his name I'd want to pull my hair out, call them, send and email and tell them but right now I cannot remember who that was for the life of me...It used to drive me nuts!!

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    But it's really uncommon I think, in FOX Sports only usually uses "de" for Bayern Münich (Bayern de Münich) and Hertha Berlín (Hertha de Berlín) about German teams, sounds too strange to other teams for any Spanish speaker, including the commentors of FOX.

I never listened "Werder de Bremen" or "Borussia de Dortmund" for any Spanish Sports Show in TV :confused:.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know it sounds fukced up!! Why do you think I remember it so well. Dortmund is my team, and I had to hear those Fox guys for more than I could handle while in South America for all those years.

Sure, ESPN will apply the "de" to Bayern, but those guys on Fox did it every chance they got. Trust me! Annoying as hell...when all they had to do was say the name normally without adding words, same for Bremen.

When I left a couple years ago the Bundesliga was already cancelled from Fox Sports Americas anyway like a year prior.

12. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I say el Arsenal (dicho como en ingles con acento en la primera "A"). Just like I wouldn't say The Manchester United. I'll just say El Manchester United.

The Sarandi one I just say ArsenAl (dicho en español, con acento en la segunda "A"), with no "el" in front.