The You don't see that very often thread

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Father Ted, May 21, 2018.

1. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Take the foul by the attacker out of the equation and it's a free kick and should be handled as such. To me that means you don't intervene unless you need to. Yes, it's "just" a technical violation, but I don't see why we would need to bail out a keeper who does this.

2. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Question (a bit off topic): After watching this several times, do you think the GK actually thought the whistle was for the foul (maybe a bit late) and that's why he didn't understand why the attacking player was grabbing the ball/let him have it so easily?

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that's probably the reason. This is the 2nd division of Ireland and one of these teams was in the top flight last season. This is at least semi-professional football. If he had realized the referee was calling an IDFK, he would have done what any GK does in that situation -- he backs away towards his goal and then throws the ball over the head of the opposition player trying to get it.

dadman and BTFOOM repped this.
  4. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Totally unrelated to this conversation, but I have always wondered why this is allowed. Logically, it is same as pass back from teammate to the keeper. Except he is passing it to himself.

sam_gordon repped this.
  5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It's not at all the same. the rule was instituted because in the last 5-10 minutes of the game teams were launching the ball back to the keeper to use up time. The GK would then hold the ball for a while, and roll it to someone. Two passes later, it was back to the GK, who would pick it up and hold it for a while. GK's who collect a ball from opponents and take it into the PA to pick up, are generally doing so to initiate play, not to wast time. Apples and oranges. (And if you said a GK who kicked the ball can't pick it up, you get a lot of messes--you really want to say that a GK who stops a shot with his foot can't then pick the ball up?!)

6. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Was not aware of the history of the passback rule. Only been reffing 10 years and that has always been the rule.

Do know that the first time I saw a GK dribble ball back in and then pick it up, I almost blew the whistle, but since no one got upset, I assumed I was ignorant. When I next passed the home coach (who I knew was goalie coach for UCONN), I asked him if that was allowed. He gave me a disgusted look and said yes :(

dadman repped this.
  7. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been officiating for 18 years and been involved with soccer long before that. Some of the newer referees in my area were complaining about some of the revisions to the LOTG a few years ago. I told them about when I played and the goalkeeper could handle a pass from teammates or I used to throw the ball into the goalkeeper so that he could handle the ball and punt it up the field. They would give me puzzled looks having not even realized that the LOTG changed that much!

I remember back in the day when NFHS rules had both a four-step AND six-second rule for goalkeepers!

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The Irish second division is amateur. Even the first division is, at most, semi-pro. Soccer is a distant third in the Irish sports world, behind Gaelic football and hurling, both of which are resolutely amateur from top to bottom, although there are occasional suggestions that players for the top counties should receive a stipend for training time spent away from their real work. Soccer was long disdained in Ireland as one of the "games of the garrison" (the others being rugby and polo) that no good Irishman would play. That has changed over time, particularly with Ireland's occasional World Cup appearances.

YoungRef87 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Shoot.

I played when spitting at a ref wasn’t defined as violent conduct.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmm. At least by the 70s the Decisions of the International Board (the precursor to the Q&A which was the precursor to the I&G) were explicit that spitting was VC. (And that was back when there were only 3 sending off offenses: VC, 2CT, and foul or abusive language.)

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #36 Cliveworshipper, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Not DEFINED in the laws as an offense until 1980 and I played in the 60’s.
    https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/who-we-are/the-laws/1970-1980.html

Now you have a bar bet you can win.

dadman repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Then the summary is incorrect. In the 1975 LOTG (the only one I have from that era), the Decisions of the International Board say:

(13) The offense of spitting at opponents, officials or other persons, or similar unseemly behavior shall be considered as violent conduct within the meaning of section (n) of Law XII.
    Now I’m wondering how reliable the rest of the summary is.

13. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    It's not reliable at all - it's riddled with errors.

Spitting became a violent conduct offence in 1968 - at the time, it was inserted as IFAB decision 14 to Law 12.

Cliveworshipper and socal lurker repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Good research. Can you post a scan of that page?

Either way, my statement stands. I played before 1968 ( and after) , so unless somebody get a few years earlier, it wasn’t in the laws that spitting at a ref was specifically listed as a VC offense.

Maybe it was a different time, but I don’t think it ever occurred to anyone to do that.

15. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    upload_-1-2.jpg upload_-1.jpg

Cliveworshipper, MetroFever and dadman repped this.
  16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I doubt a ref back then would have any problem figuring out on his own that spitting at someone was VC--the addition was, I think, more of a formality than a change. (Just like biting this year.) As I understand the spitting issue, the specificity was added due to sensibilities in parts of the world where spitting at someone is an extremely provocative act, so formalizing in the rules was done.

Cliveworshipper and GroveWanderer repped this.
  17. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I was going to say exactly that - even before it was specifically mentioned, I don't think hardly any referees would have allowed a player to spit at someone without sending them off.

18. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I coached my son to do this. The defense gave up three goals in the first ten minutes, with multiple through balls and breakaways. It was getting ugly. He was 12, but he knew what was up. I got the coaches permission and then told him to play like they were up 1-0 with minutes to play. Defense regrouped a little and they went on to lose 6-1. No, the comeback didn't run out of time. And why should the keeper panic and get rid of the ball when unmarked? Draw a defender and make a pass. That is what should be taught and what we should accept as long as they aren't putting themselves in danger and allow them to be fairly challenged.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Not a biggie, but I had an adult co-ed game this week in which a cross struck the crossbar directly above the far post. The ball then rebounded and struck the crossbar again, directly over the near post, and, finally, out for a goal kick.

20. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I am having a hard time imagining how a cross could hit above the cross bar and come back toward the kicker unless it hit some sort of pointy ball appurtenances.

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I was having trouble picturing it too... I gave up and went on to other (slightly) more productive pursuits.

dadman repped this.
  22. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    How about there was an upward angle on the cross, which hit the crossbar above the post creating a slight rebound with backspin. The ball hit the ground and bounced up with the spin taking it back toward the goal where it hit the other end of the crossbar and continued out for a GK.

Or maybe more likely, the ball hit off the crossbar going upward, continued across the goal where it struck the crossbar a second time (no ground contact in between) and then went out.

23. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    It is the middle of the day....what else are you doing that is more productive? Work??

dadman repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Occasionally and desultorily...

25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Your second scenario is what I saw, except that the cross bar was struck at the far post and the ball rebounded back in the kicker's direction, hitting the crossbar again above the near post, without ever having hit the ground. I don't pretend to understand the physics.