The YBTD Pro/Rel Thread, Part 9,614

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by barroldinho, Aug 31, 2015.

?

Should some type of Promotion and Relegation be introduced to MLS?

1. Yes

30.6%
  2. No

69.4%
  1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think every North American soccer fan should hope they do.

North American Major Premier United Super Soccer League here we come!

flyfresno and barroldinho repped this.
  2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    NAMPUSSL

I like it. Furthermore, you can say "The" NAMPUSSL without causing a major grammar incident.

3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I think that this understanding is already more ingrained into the fanbase in this country than many give credit for. MLS was on this same point when they tried to make the Sounders change their name. The thinking was that the potential fanbase would have difficulty telling the difference between the USL and MLS if the Sounders remained under the same name. History up until now tells us that this concern wasn't well founded.

Also, one only has to look at the relative attendances between D2 clubs in this country and other minor league sports. Before MLS the Timbers were known to regularly draw close to 10k per match while the AAA Beavers Baseball team could never draw a quarter of that number. I know of no minor league team in another sport that does. Perhaps hockey in Canada.

However, you regularly see D2 teams like FC Cincy, Sac Rep, Indy 11, as well as Portland's B team and the Thorns. With that said, NCAA soccer is not as well-supported as it is in other sports, but it's been getting better with the increasing profile of MLS as a whole. However, like MLB with it's farm system, MLS' academy and reserve/loan system doesn't allow as many of the direct-from-college to pro stories as the more popular collegiate sports do.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other sports do have minor league teams with high attendance. 7 minor league baseball teams averaged over 8,000 in 2016, and 5 minor league hockey teams are currently averaging over 8,000 in the 2016-17 season.

5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor league sports draw decently in minor league markets. Ticket prices are significantly lower than major league tickets would be, which is something that also needs to be taken into consideration. Here are the various averages for 2016 at the official second division/highest minor leagues:
    AAA Baseball - 15 teams over 7k out of 30 - 50%
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?y=2016&t=l_att&lid=117&sid=l117
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?y=2016&t=l_att&lid=112&sid=l112

AHL Hockey - 9 teams over 7k out of 30 - 30%
    http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph_season.php?lid=AHL1941&sid=2016

NBAD/GL Basketball - I could not find a reliable link

NASL Soccer - 2 teams over 7k out of 12 - 17%
    http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-nasl-attendance/

Using the argument that second division outdraws other minor leagues and is therefore demonstrative of the feasibility of pro/rel is critically flawed.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find a full list of NBA D-League attendances, but I saw a news story that listed the top two attendance averages in the D-League this season: the highest is about 6,200 and the second-highest is about 4,800. I've seen other stories about the D-League not being able to draw as well as other US minor leagues, so it's pretty clear basketball is the exception.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  7. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness, it's also the newest and smallest. Plus, college basketball is so massive. The NBA parallels the NFL in that regard. The fact they even started a minor league still amazes me.

barroldinho and Elninho repped this.
  8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe the current D-League average is about 3k but they have had some individual game attendances over 10k, it's a relatively new league and the trend seems to be upwards.
    I did some basic research last year for a blog entry entitled "Pro/Rel: The Numbers" (I'm sure I linked it on a thread around here somewhere - possibly this one) and I was surprised to find that outside England and Germany, D2s don't draw significantly better than most US minor leagues.

As I recall, China had the third highest of the leagues researched with a 9k average and nobody else hit 8k. Spain were just over 7k, Italy and France were 6-6.5k. This was based on 2015 numbers when NASL was performing a little better with 5k - in line with Mexico.

In fact, the fact that USL are drawing 3k, despite their average being dragged down by several MLS2 clubs that are barely differentiated from their parent clubs and play in the same market (even stadium), the independent clubs are drawing relatively well. And that's not a slam on the MLS2 teams - they're primarily there to give their reserves and youth minutes and aid in their development, not to sell tickets.

Referring to MiLB, while the AAA numbers are in the ballpark of soccer D2s, if you drop down the levels, minor league baseball actually does a better job of sustaining attendance. Averages in any soccer pro/rel pyramid conclusively decrease significantly between levels. They drop with the MiLB tiers bit nowhere near as drastically, so there's little evidence that pro/rel is good for overall attendance.

Teams do see a boost if they're in serious promotion contention however. Conversely, for all the purported drama of the relegation dogfight, teams frequently see a drop in attendance when they're involved in one. That's because they're typically doing poorly in the league and while a few crunch games might draw the crowds, it's not enough to compensate for the dire form over the previous weeks and months.

Teams seem to almost always see optimum attendance in the top tier and also tend to sustain it better in poorer seasons, probably because of the standard of play in the league and the profile of the opposition. This is how I came to the conclusion that it's better for all concerned if America's D1 keeps expanding as viable clubs emerge. Of course there will likely come a time when logistics become an issue, with talent dilution and strains on revenue sharing also possible if expansion isn't well managed. However, until such time, all creating a second tier does is needlessly make life harder for clubs in the lower division.

EDIT: Wow, sorry for the long post - I probably should have linked the blog entry after all! :s

mschofield, Elninho and aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it's almost been a year since the comments that started this thread, and Bruce Arena's not even part of this conversation any more, thread title updated.

Unak78, sitruc, barroldinho and 2 others repped this.
  10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the very increased resources they have to devote to sales and marketing.

Which always, somehow, seems to be overlooked while people look for supernatural reasons why teams draw or don't draw.

MLS teams are better capitalized. They have to be.

MLS teams have actual sales and marketing budgets and devote resources to hiring people to sell tickets. They have to.

Those things actually move tickets, in addition to the luster of being in the top tier and playing actual international players and such.

barroldinho and JasonMa repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor-league basketball has always struggled. Its heyday was probably back when the CBA was a relatively stable minor league with a formal relationship with the NBA. (Even then, they still had teams move quite a bit - sometimes during seasons, as the Jacksonville Jets and Tampa Bay Thrillers did - and fold and get birthed. But they were a good league until Isaiah Thomas screwed it up.)

I think some of it has to do with the fact that in several places you might put a minor-league basketball team, one or more of the local universities has a program that's far more popular and to which far more locals have an emotional connection. You could not plop a minor-league basketball team in North Carolina's Triad and hope to compete with the popularity and history of Duke and UNC.

College hockey is very popular in some places, but minor-league professional hockey has been a thing for decades. College baseball is very popular in places, but minor-league baseball has had a renaissance since they put in stadium standards 20+ years ago. It only seems to be basketball where the minor-pro version pales in comparison to both the NBA and the college version.

And it is odd that NBDL attendance numbers are not readily available. I do know they drew 3 million as a league last year. With 19 teams that season, each playing 20 home games, that would be about 7,895 a game, which is way more than it was at launch and way more than I expected it would be.

12. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Very happy to see a more neutral title to the thread. The focus here should be more about discussion of a topic rather than forwarding agendas, either way. Because, in the end, nothing that we say here has any bearing on what MLS does. This is just throwing around ideas and personal entertainment and that shouldn't be restricted.

13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is true.

Nothing is getting changed here.

Change can only be forced by ranting about MLS on Twitter.

mschofield and Unak78 repped this.
  14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #839 Elninho, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    It was 25 home games per team in the regular season, which would make the average somewhere on the order of 6,300 per game. Or, if the 3 million includes playoffs, the average drops to around 6,100.

The 3 million number for the 2015-16 season looks fishy, if the highest team averages in 2016-17 were 6,200 and 4,800 as of early April, and the average for 2014-15 was 2,698 (and highest team average was 5,510).

Source for 2014-15:
    http://upsidemotor.com/2015/11/02/chicago-bulls-d-league-affiliate-2016-17/

EDIT: I found another source that says the top two attendance averages in 2015-16 were 5,600 and 4,600.

http://krod.com/would-nba-d-league-succeed-in-el-paso/

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see the expansion of the US Open as a much stronger possibility than pro/rel, but with the chance to provide even more of what now makes soccer different in the US pro sports market.
    I realize it adds some games to an already crowded schedule, but it would be interesting to turn the later rounds, final 32, of the US Open into mini league format gives chances for D2 and lower leagues to play MLS clubs.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, 50 games, not 40. #mathishard

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF does not want this, and neither do MLS clubs.

And on Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the summer, except for a few places, it does not seem as if there is a huge appetite for it on the part of people who are not hardcores.

Again, MLS teams beat lower level teams nearly 70 percent of the time, despite being largely disinterested most of the time.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what?

What were the other ten cities? As I remember it, until Vergara got convinced and Checketts followed, they were one serious investor shy of one serious investor.

El Naranja, JasonMa and The Franchise repped this.
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didn't say it was likely. I said it was more likely than MLS going in for pro/rel.
    If there was a market for it, they'd want it. You are correct, right now there doesn't seem to be any way to make serious money off the US Open. If there is a groundswell of interest outside of MLS cities, meaning there is actually a chance to turn this thing into a money maker, I believe it could work and MLS would be excited about it. as it stands, of course not. Still, I would say that it is more likely as a way for most lower league clubs to get their shot at MLS sides ( a few will be expansion clubs).
    As for USSF, why aren't they interested?

20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Cleveland (RIP Wolstein), Houston, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Rochester, Seattle, Tulsa, Toronto.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/04/sports/sp-mlspreview4

And San Diego was in play for Chivas.

http://www.soccertimes.com/wagman/2003/nov08.htm

If you're looking fro the best place to put a soccer team, you might rank most of those cities ahead of Salt Lake City. But the RSL bid had what others did not -- at least, what those other cities did not have to the satisfaction of Garber, Anschutz and Hunt.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other things more likely than MLS going in for pro/rel:

1 - Antigua winning the World Cup
    2 - Elvis playing Market Square Arena again
    3 - Joan Jett actually asking me if I want to touch her there

They don't really care about the tournament. And if they were, the pushback from pro clubs would likely squash it.

JasonMa and aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the vague "cities are interested" line that seems to be an easy drop into such stories.

How many of those had actual potential ownership groups?

Rochester's window had pretty much passed by that point. That Times story also lists Houston and Philadelphia as front-runners, with zero attribution to that statement. Of course, it did not happen (until SJ moved to Houston). The others were filler, it says here.

I see no reason to believe it was not true that MLS was desperately seeking suitors at that point.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Exactly my point. Gotta have the owners stepping up.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying a somethingburger was better than a nothingburger?

Thanks for that.

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'll amend the original statement: