The World prefers Kerry

Discussion in 'Elections' started by highgarden, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    this is true.. terrorists around the world will rejoice if W is ousted

2. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund

Just like the IRA and Sinn Fein did an impromptu jig at the news of Mrs Thatcher's resignation.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes, because that Bush has really made the world a safer place hasn't he. He's completely freed us from terrorists! Why, we had so much more problems with them nasty people before Bush. Thank you George.

4. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    This thread is the best reason why the US elections should be open to the rest of the world.

After all, these other nations all have the same interests as the US.

Furthermore, there really is no need to have the election since the world, which knows best, has already selected Kerry by a wide margin. What's really disturbing is that the US citizens are so out of touch with the rest of the world. Something needs to be done about that.

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hey, there's a Kennedybrücke just down the road from me - so much for your theory!

6. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    LOL

7. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Why? I view this as a positive...

8. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Link, please.

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Why? Bush has been a better recruiting tool for them than anything short of 72 virgins.

10. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    Well, terrorists had operated under much less scrutiny and consequence during the clinton administration and will surely do so if kerry is elected

11. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Another Bushco talking point. Just make up some piece of crap and then act indignant about it.

12. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    piece of crap?? love or hate bush, you can't deny that he is tougher on terrorism than clinton ever was..

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If scrutiny of terrorists is greater now than when Clinton was president that has to do with reactions AFTER 9/11 and not due to any foresight on the part of the Bush Administration. Their woeful testimony before the 9/11 commission made that abundantly clear. Your suggestion that a Democratic presidency would return to business as usual after what's happened is merely political cant and stupid political cant at that.

As for consequences, what consequences--that Bush can be credited with--do you speak of? Of the thousands of detained under the Patriot Act how many have resulted in any kind of terrorist-related charges (as opposed to garden variety crime to which the Patriot Act has been applied)? And of the mere 2 that have resulted in trials that had anything to do with 9/11 one of those convictions is about to be thrown out.

Wars? The war in Afghanistan was at least a response to terrorism but how effective has it been? Al Quaida is still operating worldwide, the Taliban are still operating in Afghanistan, and the country as a whole is suffering from neglect. And the best available evidence tells us the only thing the invasion of Iraq has had to do with terrorism, besides putting our troops closer to it, is to lessen our ability to confront it effectively by draining the budget and the post-9/11 support of most of the rest of the world. Despot though he was, Saddam Hussein was neither a military nor a terrorist threat to the US when Bush invaded Iraq.

14. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The piece of crap referred to was your echoing Cheney's claim that a vote for Kerry made a terrorist attack more likely. Your reference to Clinton is a red herring.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

president kennedy plein is just down the street from me

16. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i've had a good laugh here, the taliban are almost a veritable after thought as far as recent ACF incidents in afghanistan, the biggest issue is the occasional flare up from local warlords but those never last more than a few days and are few and far between. but congrats for talking out your ass.

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spare me, scuttlebutt breath. Incidentally, Hamid Karzai disagrees with you.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/mi...ue_first_afghan_presidential_campaign_begins/
    http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/61D37EFECEF9BB6F85256F0800363D5E?opendocument
    http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3399031
    http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3266256
    http://www.washtimes.com/world/20031220-101746-6513r.htm
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0627/p06s01-wosc.html

18. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    that's cute, but it's a couple of whispy articles you summoned from a google search on taliban, there's nothing in there showing the taliban are any more a threat than your local hood keeping it real with a knife for 5 bucks. and gee, who would guess that karzai would overstate the threat? not only that he specifically mentions local warlords (oh man! crazy! almost sounds like something i said) Cavanaughs audio piece is exactly what i'm talking about.... all you've got is one article from a marine page talking about a firefight with "taliban" insurgents, i'm sure they called a time out, asked if they were sure they were taliban then continued the fire fight. :rolleyes: did you even read any of this or just post the notes at the top of the article.

i'll scratch my comment and say kidney punch contest aside read this http://www.cia.gov/nic/PDF_GIF_2020_Support/2004_05_25_papers/insurgency.pdf it's not to shady, maybe you'll learn something, just make sure you READ the whole thing, it'll help incase you decide to post from it.

19. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I've been following the story for a while. The problem is that the Taliban are not particularly distinguishable from warlords and everybody else, which is not surprising because they largely melted away during the initial military action (you may recall that the vast majority of those captured were foreign fighters). The south in particular is problematic and has even seen some reinstitution of Taliban-style rules. Is their current status a threat to re-take the country? Almost certainly not, according to what I've read and heard. Is it a problem for the new democracy? Well...yeah, according to people who are paying attention. Is this a problem that would be here if Bush's handlers had not indulged in their Iraq non sequitur? I certainly think so. I notice you say Karzai "overstates" the threat, by the way. You will forgive me, I hope, if I treat him as a more reliable authority on the subject than you. Chalabi, he ain't. And since you have nothing but ad hominem crapola to offer, I'll bid you a lovely and peaceful (very sincerely, given where you are) good evening.

20. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    it's not that the taliban is not particularly distiguishable from the militias of many of these warlords, it's that the taliban cannot operate at a level to truely be on the map when you consider the current threat coming from provincial wardlords (who's militias contain many ex-taliban fighters) that severely reduces the concept that the taliban/al qaida are providing serious concern to coalition forces and hamid karzais interim govt. instead it's old "governors" with their privateers who are the threat simply because they know they will be secluded from the upcoming govt. most of the violence as of late has taken place in the Herat province (save kandahar what activity in the south are you talking about?) kabul and bagram still see activity from time to time most recently kabul, but most of that is in response to it's proximity to the pakistani border and coalition and pakistani efforts to eliminate remaining al qaida expected to be in that area. But afghan specific threats has been green on green fighting over provinces and of course what we all expected violence towards those registering to vote.

after spinning it it comes back to where you started speaking of the taliban still operating in afghanistan, when you say something like that it's a trigger, people don't associate "taliban" with what it's become, disbanded, and a former shell of what it was and in many cases a lot of talk with little to no action. i'm just trying to put a touch of reality on your comment.